Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2013, 06:40 AM   #31
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Was that something you did something that can happen to others as well? Or were you testing a beta firmware?
I was running beta firmware and decided to go back to 2.3.1. I've done that before with no problems. I have the horrible feeling I put the Touch firmware on it instead of the Glo. If I had done a factory reset instead of sideloading the firmware, it would have been OK.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #32
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have the horrible feeling I put the Touch firmware on it instead of the Glo. If I had done a factory reset instead of sideloading the firmware, it would have been OK.
Oops

Still haven't received my Glo and the day is almost over.... I'm afraid I won't be able to get you a disk image until sometime this week.

I have no idea what goes wrong when the wrong firmware gets put onto a device, but might something similar to this get you anywhere?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #33
Didier
Didier began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
For davidfor : I still have the image of my Glo, how can I send it to you ?
Didier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #34
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier View Post
For davidfor : I still have the image of my Glo, how can I send it to you ?
I've replied to you PM. And thanks again.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #35
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

And I'm back up. Sort of.

Thanks to Didier and others for offering an image. KevinShort "won". His was up and I downloaded it first. Well twice. I have to remember that if I start a 2GB download an go to bed, that I should prevent the laptop from going to sleep.

The "sort of" above is that I am doing a little experimenting. I put the image on a 4GB card I had and got it working. I'm now trying the original card. A couple of things happened while I was doing this that made me wonder if the card was failing. That would explain the problems I had. Assuming it wasn't just an error in the firmware I used.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

I will now return you to your regularly scheduled programs.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #36
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I will now return you to your regularly scheduled programs.
Haha I liked the unscheduled episode as well, although it was inconvenient for you. Glad you're up & running again.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #37
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Well, got a response from Kobo. Same email I got when Glo #1 caused issues:

"Unfortunately, your Kobo eReader may need to be repaired or exchanged. Please provide the answers to ALL the questions below so we can proceed."

(Name, address, model, etc. etc.)

What are the chances I'd have 2 bad ones in a row? Rhetorical question, I suppose. Looks like I will have to play along and try a third. I will attempt to re-state the request to escalate this, but failing that, I'll try another reader. Hope it's another new one. This thing hasn't had a week of actual use since Christmas.

Wonder if Kobo is still monitoring this forum. I miss their participation...
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #38
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
[...] I'll try another reader. Hope it's another new one. This thing hasn't had a week of actual use since Christmas.
I'm glad you'll be getting another one, and I'm sorry you've had such bad luck with your devices The chance of two in a row is probably very minimal... meaning the chance of three bad ones in a row is almost non existent, right?

Quote:
Wonder if Kobo is still monitoring this forum. I miss their participation...
Me too!
Old 02-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #39
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
I'm glad you'll be getting another one, and I'm sorry you've had such bad luck with your devices The chance of two in a row is probably very minimal... meaning the chance of three bad ones in a row is almost non existent, right?

Me too!
Well now I'm not so sure. I just received a follow-up email from Kobo, after I indicated that I believe the issue to be a firmware one:

"I am truly sorry you have been experiencing these issues since you bough the product. Before we proceed with anything else I want to kindly ask you to reset the device once more then set it up normally, but this time do not add anything through Calibre. Add some free books from www.kobobooks.com, load them through the Kobo desktop and let us know How it goes from there."

I responded that as indicated in the event log I sent them, I already did that, and there appears to be no issue with content from Kobo. We'll see what transpires.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #40
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Gah what a mess.

I did notice though, that according to your event log you only tested kepubs for two days... granted the battery drain was not as bad as the tests with sideloaded epubs, but still, two days is not a real battery test.

If it is firmware though, why is not everyone experiencing such horrible battery problems...
Old 02-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #41
VelvetElvis
Addict

Quote:
Gah what a mess.

I did notice though, that according to your event log you only tested kepubs for two days... granted the battery drain was not as bad as the tests with sideloaded epubs, but still, two days is not a real battery test.

If it is firmware though, why is not everyone experiencing such horrible battery problems...
Good point, Mrs_Often. Odd that books that work perfectly well on other readers would cause such an issue.

In my latest exchange with Kobo, they've asked me to install Adobe Digital Editions, and try sideloading books with that. So I have done another factory reset, firmware update, installed ADE, and copied 3 books on. Will know in another day or so whether things are in the dumper.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:48 AM   #42
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Good point, Mrs_Often. Odd that books that work perfectly well on other readers would cause such an issue.

In my latest exchange with Kobo, they've asked me to install Adobe Digital Editions, and try sideloading books with that. So I have done another factory reset, firmware update, installed ADE, and copied 3 books on. Will know in another day or so whether things are in the dumper.
Ah that's a good test too. I'm interested to know the outcome! And it could never hurt (well, only time and frustration wise :S) to test kepubs again. As I recall you only tried them for a couple of days last time.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #43
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Glo
Whilst not a "smoking gun" I wonder if some of the problem might be down to battery calibration? If the device has been factory reset at varying battery levels then charged or allowed to run until it switches off, then the battery management might be messed up.

You get problems like this on phones when you flash custom firmware, and normally you charge to 100% then wipe the battery stats and plug it back in and let it charge once more. I know it doesn't explain the problem with side-loaded books, but it might be something to consider.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #44
VelvetElvis
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Whilst not a "smoking gun" I wonder if some of the problem might be down to battery calibration? If the device has been factory reset at varying battery levels then charged or allowed to run until it switches off, then the battery management might be messed up.

You get problems like this on phones when you flash custom firmware, and normally you charge to 100% then wipe the battery stats and plug it back in and let it charge once more. I know it doesn't explain the problem with side-loaded books, but it might be something to consider.
I've depleted/recharged 2 Glo's now, repeatedly. No difference whatsoever.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #45
Mrs_Often
Wizard

VelvetElvis, how's the battery testing doing?

I posted a thing about it on getsatisfaction, and apparently we're not the only ones. Someone replied stating he's currently waiting for his THIRD Glo due to the same issue.