Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #16
PHughes
PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300 PRS-350 Kobo H2O Kobo Clara HD
I have no issues with the Sony Reader Library software for Mac, it is quick and easy, their new Sony Ready for Mac on the other hand is not so good.

As far as readers go, nothing is the best necessarily, it is what fits your needs. For me it's the Prs-350, I travel constantly and it is small and it is always with me. Even with a cover it fits in my back pocket. It is so convenient I always carry it. I never bought into the "gotta have wifi" wagon, to me it isn't necessary, I'd rather have a small form factor. I download from the public library and load the books onto the reader and go. With so much storage I can't imaging being in a position where I read 100 books or so in a day and desperately need to download a book.
PHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Reader Library is good. It does not work with the T1.

Reader for PC/Reader for MAC is not so good and it does work with the T1.

If you have a T1, manage the content using Calibre. Only use Reader for XX if you are purchasing eBooks from Sony (even free ones) and/or dealing with highlights/annotations/drawing on the T1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #18
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I think the Kindle NT has a more solid feel to it than the T1 but the T1 has more under the hood. Personally I'd get the Sony so I could root it and play angry birds.

The T1 is an impressive device, but it ain't no 650.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #19
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
Angry birds on an e-ink device...? LOL, good one.
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #20
prushellen
prushellen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayseidel View Post
Angry birds on an e-ink device...? LOL, good one.
I can't imagine..
prushellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #21
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by prushellen View Post
I can't imagine..
No need to imagine:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...-a-nook-touch/
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #22
prushellen
prushellen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
So pixelated and it is too slow to run it lol
prushellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #23
dax123
Connoisseur
dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Silver PRS 600, Red PRS 650, Kindle 3 WiFi (Keyboard), Kindle 4 basic
I opted for Kindle when it was time to upgrade, I have a Sony PRS 650 and when I saw the Sony PRS-T1, I didn't like the design..plus always wanted to try out a kindle and never regretted. I don't ever want back to a device where I have to hook it up to my Mac all the time to transfer the books onto the device..I love how I can just 1 click a book on Amazon and it's transferred within a second to my kindle without cables etc.
Plus the syncing between devices..Love that..I can leave my kindle at home and when I want to read during breaks at work all I have to do is open the kindle app on my iPhone and it will sync to where I left off on my kindle and I can read on my iPhone..and same when I get home again..I turn on my Kindle and it will sync to where I left off on my iPhone.
dax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #24
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have 3 Sony readers (600,350 and T1) and I gave my mother a Kindle 3 last year. I find the organizational abilities on my Sony using calibre far superior, and book (library?) navigation much better on the Sony but my mother says they will have to pry the Kindle from her cold dead hands.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #25
Laserjock
Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-350; PRS-505RC; iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dax123 View Post
I opted for Kindle when it was time to upgrade, I have a Sony PRS 650 and when I saw the Sony PRS-T1, I didn't like the design..plus always wanted to try out a kindle and never regretted. I don't ever want back to a device where I have to hook it up to my Mac all the time to transfer the books onto the device..I love how I can just 1 click a book on Amazon and it's transferred within a second to my kindle without cables etc.
Plus the syncing between devices..Love that..I can leave my kindle at home and when I want to read during breaks at work all I have to do is open the kindle app on my iPhone and it will sync to where I left off on my kindle and I can read on my iPhone..and same when I get home again..I turn on my Kindle and it will sync to where I left off on my iPhone.
It's also amazing how Amazon can delete a book off your Kindle without your permission using that same technology.

=Laserjock=
Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #26
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
For people living in the US, Canada and Europe the Kindle is a great convenience, but for those of us that do not is a huge problem. I love the T1 because I don´t need a credit card to get it working (happened to me with my Nook Color) and I can download local books from local editors on ePub. So, geographically speaking, I´d rather have a T1...
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #27
matteos72
Enthusiast
matteos72 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Question SOny PRST1 versus Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
No, it is not better.

It is roughly comparable: Better for some uses, not quite as good at others.
Ditto for Nook, Kobo, Pocketbook, and Bookeen.

You need to decide for youself what you want to use the reader for, what you *need* it to do for you and *how* you want to do those things. Reviews and user experiences can be useful but not final.
That is strictly up to you.

Today I use Sony PRST1 with the KINDLE SW application and I noticed the following issues
1) you cannot see the "highlights" on your screen if you use the WHITE background color.
2) you cannot turn page left right with the left right button because they are mapped in different position (I workarounded remapping the Volume buttons, but in this case this impact all other applications using the Volume buttons)

3) CUrrent version of Sony, if Routed, leave terrible low space for Android MArket download. For instance I could not able to download the last 9 Megabuytes Kindle SW appli. I used light one for mobile phone (with the drawbacks told before). Waiting new Kindle Routing allowing more space for applets-.

If you use the built in reader of Sony it is quite good and I would say comparable with the specific language (I say: you have English-French, French - Italian... in the KIndle Application you have the possibility to have more vocabulary included only one language)

Some improvement to do in my opinion.
matteos72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:15 AM   #28
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Hard to beat rooted T1 in software department.
It is also surprisingly lightweight.

The only thing I don't like about it, is reflective body.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #29
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Page turn with Kindle app works also by tapping left and right margin!

And latest Kindle app is only 9MB compared to 25MB of the previous version!

I for myself increased data partition of the reader from 50MB to 500MB, so app sizes won't cause any probs for me, but also Link2SD should work for Kindle app...

Just be sure that enough space is left on data partition to install Kindle app and then unse Link2SD to move it to external SD card:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...g_applications
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #30
clashcityrocker
clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.clashcityrocker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
The Sony is considerably better than the Kindle. It's not only lighter, it feels better, the UI runs smoother, and most important of all, it's not locked to a single supplier for content.

I really don't understand anyone that buys a Kindle. It's like buying a car that will only accept petrol from a specific garage.
clashcityrocker is offline   Reply With Quote