Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
skells
skells began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Folder case change

Is there any way to prevent Calibre from changing the case of the library folders when book metadata is updated? Since Calibre is case insensitive I wouldn't think it would matter, but the case issue is wreaking havoc while trying to share my library between Mac and Linux over dropbox. I am using the mounted FAT filesystem work around on Linux, but it's ugly.

Thanks!
skells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre IS case sensitive as far as the file system is concerned - it is Windows that is not (at least by default). There has been a lot of work done in Calibre to try and get the case correct on Windows systems.

I have no problems sharing my Calibre library between a Linux system and a Windows 7 system.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
skells
skells began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
The issue that I'm running into is mostly a dropbox problem, not Calibre's but if I can change the storage settings then I can get around it. A common scenario is if I add a book on my Linux machine and the title is lowercase then it replicates out as such. When I correct the case of the title Calibre will update the file system but dropbox thinks that folder already exists so it creates conflicts.

Or, if I do the same process on my Mac I can get similar conflicts, but with a case-insensitive file system it gets changed back to the original case. On the Mac, Calibre doesn't care but when launching on Linux it can't find those books since it is looking for a specific case.

If anyone has any ideas around this it would be appreciated.
skells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
A way around this is do a double rename. First time around add an extra character to the name (e.g. an X) and correct the case for the part you intend to keep. After that remove the X and do another rename. As the name changes you will avoid the conflict you mentioned. A bit laborious, but it will work. This is what I used to do when Calibre did not handle case changes on Windows very well.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
library, linux