Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #16
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbergman View Post

The syncing between devices does not involve iTunes and happens wirelessly. I find it to be reasonably reliable between my iPad 3G and my iPhone. Occasianally it doesn't seem to know which device was used last but this is rare. I assume Apple has provided some sort of server for this purpose. It does, as you state, require 2 apple devices.
If anyone knows how this actually works, I'd be interested.
This is correct.
To be clear-to sync your place in movies and TV shows between an iPhone, iPad, and your computer, you do need to connect and sync the devices with iTunes for it to work.

iBooks works differently-it syncs your page location wirelessly at all times (as long as you have a wireless connection, of course)...Apple says it is using your "iTunes Store Account" to manage wireless syncing-maybe they are using the same servers they use to "Push" notifications to apps? It seems to work pretty simultaneously.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #17
Rob_E
Connoisseur
Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: iPod Touch/iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwharrison View Post
...it's pretty clear that it's syncing against an Apple server somewhere in the cloud.

But as tbergman said above, once that's done, sync is over 3G or wifi. It's worked pretty reliably for me provided I make sure to exit the book to the iBooks home screen.

It actually works better than Kindle syncing in one way: it doesn't have the asinine idea that what I wanted synced is the last page I've *ever* read in the book.
That's good to know. I did not realize that iBooks had implemented that. Of course it's of no use to me right as I only have one device I use for reading, and it's too old to use iBooks on, but I could see it being very helpful if you had, for example, an iPad and an iPhone and you wanted to read a little of your book on your phone when you didn't have your iPad handy.
Rob_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #18
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
Now I use iFunbox instead of iPhoneBrowser because with iFunbox you can search for application folder with keyword. For example, I search for "Kindle", and I can find the ebooks folder easily instead of having to wade through all the installed apps folder.
Thanks for this tip - iFunbox is the first one that has worked for me! Transferred my mobi book to the Kindle folder easily, and even the right cover showed up on the Kindle app!
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:50 AM   #19
redhen
redhen began at the beginning.

Device: IPAD
Dear All,
I managed to transfer ebooks to Kindle App on the Ipad. However, I am having problem transferring the frontcover. Any idea how to do this? I have the frontcover in jpg format. Thanks.
redhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:01 AM   #20
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhen View Post
Dear All,
I managed to transfer ebooks to Kindle App on the Ipad. However, I am having problem transferring the frontcover. Any idea how to do this? I have the frontcover in jpg format. Thanks.
This is what I do, I edit the .mobi eBook via "Mobi2Mobi" (just google for it) by adding Amazon's ASIN number for the eBook. Then, when I transfer to my iPod Touch, the Kindle app automatically has the right cover for the book.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:40 AM   #21
redhen

Dear arcadata,
Pardon my ignorance - where to add Amazon's ASIN in Mobi2Mobi?
Old 09-24-2010, 02:25 AM   #22
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhen View Post
Dear arcadata,
Pardon my ignorance - where to add Amazon's ASIN in Mobi2Mobi?
1) Just edit the "Exth Type and Data" - it's after the Book Type/ code

2) Choose '113- ASIN' from the drop down menu of 'Exth Type', and then, add the ASIN number to the 'Exth Data' box. Add a check mark to the box beside it.

3) Hit convert! Voila! Transfer with the cover automatically appearing on your Kindle app.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:45 AM   #23
redhen

arcadata,
Thanks! I managed to firgured it out and was about to reply here when I saw your mail. Nevertheless thank you - it works perfectly!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #24
esieens
esieens began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Unhappy Cannot find kindle folder

I downloaded the iFunBox application on my pc. Works fine and finds my iPod Touch. However I cnanot find a kindle folder! Where is it hidden? Thanks
esieens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #25
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
The folder is called "com.amazon.Lassen" on Windows.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #26
Blue2swing
Blue2swing began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, and iPad2
It looks like you guys have this figured out. But I made a quick tutorial if it helps anyone out there. Here's the YouTube link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kds7fausSko
Blue2swing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #27
msjodi777
msjodi777 began at the beginning.

Device: iTouch
One of the reasons I joined this forum, was to find out how to let my iTouch's Kindle app know that I had downloaded a Kindle book from Project Gutenberg. I downloaded it to my computer, connected my Touch to my computer with the USB, and tried to drag the downloaded file to iTunes... iTunes didn't like it!... I then downloaded Caliber, and was able to get the mobi files to iTunes, but the Kindle app still can't find them... grrrr... I really don't mind using iBooks, but I think I was hoping to be able to read all my books in the Kindle app...

I suppose, what I am asking now, is: Is Amazon the only place I can download Kindle books? Don't think I will like that if it is true... If I can use the books I downloaded from Project Gutenberg, would someone please tell me how I get my Kindle app to recognize that I have one of those on my Touch? I do apologize for asking such basic "dummie" type questions, but this has me completely flummoxed... that's what I get for being a fat old broad trying to understand a young person's technology... sigh... Thanks to anyone who has any words of wisdom. <><
msjodi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjodi777 View Post
One of the reasons I joined this forum, was to find out how to let my iTouch's Kindle app know that I had downloaded a Kindle book from Project Gutenberg. I downloaded it to my computer, connected my Touch to my computer with the USB, and tried to drag the downloaded file to iTunes... iTunes didn't like it!... I then downloaded Caliber, and was able to get the mobi files to iTunes, but the Kindle app still can't find them... grrrr... I really don't mind using iBooks, but I think I was hoping to be able to read all my books in the Kindle app...
You add books to the Kindle App via iTunes. Once you have the app installed on your Touch, run iTunes and select the "Apps" tab for the device, then just drag and drop files onto the "Kindle" section of the tab.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #29
msjodi777
msjodi777 began at the beginning.

Device: iTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You add books to the Kindle App via iTunes. Once you have the app installed on your Touch, run iTunes and select the "Apps" tab for the device, then just drag and drop files onto the "Kindle" section of the tab.
DUH! That's what I was doing wrong! I was dragging the book directly to the MOBILE device, but not to the kindle App! You have no idea how long I have been trying to figure this out... guess you really can teach a fat old dog a few new tricks... like the old mule, you just have to hit her "upsida" the head to get her attention first... <><
msjodi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #30
Kruskal
Kruskal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How I Added a PDF File to My iPad Kindle App

Using my PC, I added the PDF file to my Dropbox folder. When it appeared on my iPad Dropbox, I selected Export. I was given two choices, Kindle and some other app which had registered to accept exports. I chose Kindle.

I don't know how this export mechanism works. It might be file extension directed. Perhaps this would not work for all ebooks.

Vincent
Kruskal is offline   Reply With Quote