0.9.20 on OS X 10.8.2

When I convert to AZW3, on Look & Feel I use:
Remove spacing between paragraphs
Insert blank line between paragraphs
Indent size: 2.0 em (or 1.5)
Line size: 1.0 em
Justify text
All five boxes checked on Filter Style Information

This used to give me the substantial indents that I want. However, starting around the time "polishing" was added (which I cannot find), the indent setting is ignored.

I don't know why the indent setting is being ignored after it worked for a long time. I don't know what I'm doing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Jimbo724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Jimbo
The Polishing Icon is not automatically added (?on existing installations?).
Use Preferences: Toolbars
to add 'The Brush' icon to your chosen bar
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
Jimbo724
Connoisseur
Jimbo724 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Use Preferences: Toolbars
to add 'The Brush' icon to your chosen bar
Okay, thanks.

I see polishing does not adjust indents. I'll have to whip up a lorem ipsit test file as the posting directions request.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
Jimbo724
Connoisseur

Actually, maybe I don't need a full-blown test document yet. I am using Blue Griffon 1.6.1 to prepare an html file for importation into Calibre and subsequent conversion by Calibre to AZW3 format. Blue Griffon puts "<br>" at the end of each paragraph, "<br>" on a new line before each paragraph, and "&nbsp; " at the start of each paragraph. Apparently the latter is used to indent each paragraph. Does Calibre have a problem overriding "&nbsp; "?

P.S. FWIW, I deleted all occurrences of "&nbsp; " and there are no indents after conversion. I guess I'll gin up a lorem ipsit file after all.

P.S.S. Indents are inserted at each "<p>" but not at any "<br>". Then again, the <br>s are either at the end of paragraphs or on new lines followed by the beginning of paragraphs on the next line.

Last edited by Jimbo724; 02-26-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo724 View Post
Actually, maybe I don't need a full-blown test document yet. I am using Blue Griffon 1.6.1 to prepare an html file for importation into Calibre and subsequent conversion by Calibre to AZW3 format. Blue Griffon puts "<br>" at the end of each paragraph, "<br>" on a new line before each paragraph, and "&nbsp; " at the start of each paragraph. Apparently the latter is used to indent each paragraph. Does Calibre have a problem overriding "&nbsp; "?

P.S. FWIW, I deleted all occurrences of "&nbsp; " and there are no indents after conversion. I guess I'll gin up a lorem ipsit file after all.
< BR /> &nbsp;

You have 1 Paragraph
Paragraphs start with a <p>, That is what Calibre indents

You need to replace all < BR /> &nbsp; with </p> <p> to turn thos lines into individual paragraphs
Advert
Old 02-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You could use Sigil to load the HTML file. Then you can do the splits and message the HTML and edit the CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
Jimbo724
Connoisseur

Thanks duck and wolf. I did pretty much what you guys suggested, but I used a little utility called Balthisar Tidy to clean up the html, then I used TextWrangler to find & replace patterns that included the <br>s -- one pattern with <p>, another pattern with </p>. Balthisar Tidy was helpful in creating distinct patterns for one and the other.

FWIW, this is where I found Balthisar Tidy (free):

http://www.balthisar.com/products/tidy

I'm on a Mac. Better tools may exist for Windows.

... now if only I can remember what I did the next time I need to do it. (Set break-before-br to Yes, then replace a pattern including stuff BEFORE <br> with <p> and a pattern including stuff AFTER <br> with </p>. Replace "<br> blankline <p>" with "</p> blankline <p>" or something like that.)

Last edited by Jimbo724; 02-26-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
Jimbo724
Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
replace all < BR /> &nbsp; with </p> <p>
That would have been easier than what I did.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
That would have been easier than what I did.
I have been doing this for a few weeks
Beware, I do goof on occasion. Always backup, then step thru my code and examine the results be for letn' er' rip
Old 02-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks duck and wolf. I did pretty much what you guys suggested, but I used a little utility called Balthisar Tidy to clean up the html, then I used TextWrangler to find & replace patterns that included the <br>s -- one pattern with <p>, another pattern with </p>. Balthisar Tidy was helpful in creating distinct patterns for one and the other.

FWIW, this is where I found Balthisar Tidy (free):

http://www.balthisar.com/products/tidy

I'm on a Mac. Better tools may exist for Windows.

... now if only I can remember what I did the next time I need to do it. (Set break-before-br to Yes, then replace a pattern including stuff BEFORE <br> with <p> and a pattern including stuff AFTER <br> with </p>. Replace "<br> blankline <p>" with "</p> blankline <p>" or something like that.)
Better tools exist on a MAC. It's called Sigil. You don't need to use some unknown tidying software. If the program you used to make the HTML doesn't make good/valid code, then you shouldn't be using it.

In Sigil you can do your search/replace. You can edit the code and CSS and see your indents.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
Jimbo724
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Better tools exist on a MAC. It's called Sigil.
That may be completely true. However, I do not feel comfortable with Sigil because of experiences where I would edit the wsyiwyg text and the changes would not be visible in the html code. Too strange for me.

Quote:
If the program you used to make the HTML doesn't make good/valid code, then you shouldn't be using it.
That's just it; I'm not using the program that creates bad code. In general, I am starting with poor html and trying to clean it up. The Balthizar Tidy utility does a good job for me. BTW, Tidy has been around for a long time as open source; Balthizar Tidy is just one guy's free continuation of the project and works well for my limited purposes in cleaning up crappy code. FWIW.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
That may be completely true. However, I do not feel comfortable with Sigil because of experiences where I would edit the wsyiwyg text and the changes would not be visible in the html code. Too strange for me.
What changes are you making that are not visible in the HTML code? I've never seen this before. Have you tried the new 0.7.0 version?

As for cleaning up the code I would convert to ePub and then work on cleaning up the code. It's a lot easier when the CSS is where most cleaning is done.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
Jimbo724
Connoisseur

Quote:
What changes are you making that are not visible in the HTML code? I've never seen this before. Have you tried the new 0.7.0 version?
I always get the latest update when Sigil tells me one is available.

Starting with an ebook created from a lousy scan with little apparent proofreading, I would make simple textual edits in wysiwyg mode. When I would look at the source, the textual edits would not be visible in the source. For example, the misspelled word would still be present in the source even though it was changed in wysiwyg. Too strange for me.

Quote:
As for cleaning up the code I would convert to ePub and then work on cleaning up the code. It's a lot easier when the CSS is where most cleaning is done.
As much as possible, I need to edit at the wysiwyg level and rely on software to do all the mysterious code stuff at the source level. I don't have your knowledge of the code and CSS stuff.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've done editing in the book view and the changes are made in the code. I think you need to move to the Sigil forum and mention this issue there so someone can try to help.

Oh and are you using Windows XP?
Old 03-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I've done editing in the book view and the changes are made in the code. I think you need to move to the Sigil forum and mention this issue there so someone can try to help.

Oh and are you using Windows XP?
I don't think the job of Sigil is to fix BAD code, but to be a tool that allows you to get at the code to fix it.

Tags
indent indentation