Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
D..
Enthusiast
D.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo & Kindle
KOBO READER TOUCH & CALIBRE

My Sony gave up the ghost at Xmas so I bought the new Kobo Touch. I have always used Calibre so loaded books straight from Calibre but found that the bottom line of a page was sometimes cut off by the margin for the page no. Tried changing line spacing, margins, justification etc no luck. then tried reconvertin them in Calibre using Kobo as my Reader instead of the previous Sony, but still no difference, the bottom lines disappears on some pages. Any ideas on this please?
Another small problem, is there any way of closing the Reader and re-opening on the same page of the same book? A small annoyance but when I put the Reader down for ten minutes it would be nice to return to the same page instead of going through the start-up library etc again. A few years' ago, I had a B-Book Reader which was "battery economical" to just leave it open on the reading page as, evidently, only turning the page used the battery power. It was so much easier to just pick it up and carry on reading and even the Sony turned back on went straight to the current reading page. Would be nice to have th choice on a menu or am I missing this instruction please?
D.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
Don't know about the first part as I don't experience that problem (though I read here that others do)...

...but as to returning to the page you were on this is exactly what happens if the Touch goes to sleep. When powering off it seems you go back to the home page after wake up and return to the last saved "reading-mark" of the book; I am not sure if powering off without leaving the book first automatically sets a mark.

Anyway, going to sleep manually is by pulling the powerbutton shortly, powering off holding it longer. In the settings you can select auto-sleep and auto-power-off times and activate both or only one of them and select for each if the cover should be shown in that mode.

I have auto-sleep set at 15 minutes and auto-power-off deactivated, that should result in what you are looking for.
voom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
All you need to do is update the firmware on the Kobo Touch, this was a bug a few months ago.

Also with the updated firmware you should get;

1. Highlighting for All books no matter were they came from.

2. Multiple Bookmarks for all books

3. Notes for all books, note syncing for Kobo books.

4. Faster page turning and a crisper text.

5. The option to either display "Shortlist" "Recommended reads (Based on your purchase history, it doesn't read your sideloaded content)" or "New Releases" in a carousel on your home screen.

6. You can check the time while reading by opening the menu.

Some people are not liking the carousel but I really like it personally. I usually set it to display my Shortlist, so if you don't like the recommendations or the new releases you can just set it to that.

Last edited by The Terminator; 01-10-2012 at 12:22 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
As terminator says, this was a known issue between calibre and the kobo touch several firmware versions ago.

To upgrade your kobo simply do a sync and the latest firmware will download.

Also, you should make sure that you have an up to date version of calibre running as well, a couple of releases ago some changes were made to the way it interacts with the kobo touch.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:42 AM   #5
D..
Enthusiast
D.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Thanks for that, really helpful. Have upgraded the software as you recommended, didnt realise that as it was brand new it would need upgrading already as I hadnt put the Kobo Desktop on as I use Calibre! I will try your suggestion of sleeping the Touch and not powering off, hopefully this wont affect the battery too much.
One other point, if you could help please. I seem to have my books listed haphazardly in the Library. In Calibre I always list by author - surname first and amend the metadata accordingly, but they seem to transfer to the Touch sometimes alphabetically but odd books thrown in [I have my library as author sort]. I gather it means that the meta data isnt correct via Calibre? Is this so as I cannot see anything wrong when checking the Calibre metadata format. Thanks
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Calibre sorts books how you want, but As far as I know you can't change how books are sorted or put them into categories once they get onto the Kobo Touch.
It's a feature that has been requested a lot here though, so maybe it will have that one day.

There's 2 ways around it. You can add a book to a shortlist, which is what I do to books that I'm currently reading.

you can also search for a book, putting in an author name or title, look for the magnifying glass into the library option.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.. View Post

One other point, if you could help please. I seem to have my books listed haphazardly in the Library. In Calibre I always list by author - surname first and amend the metadata accordingly, but they seem to transfer to the Touch sometimes alphabetically but odd books thrown in [I have my library as author sort]. I gather it means that the meta data isnt correct via Calibre? Is this so as I cannot see anything wrong when checking the Calibre metadata format. Thanks
In Calibre, for the Author tag/field, I use "last name, first name (King, Stephen for example)". When I transfer them to The Kobo Touch, and go to the library, sorted by author, they are in the correct order.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Calibre will use the original metadata for the transfer even if you have made changes...Someone on another thread suggested that I do another epub to epub convert and then remove the original epub and keep the new one (with the new metadata). It works! Then when you transfer to a device, all your covers, metadata are as per the corrected version and don't revert.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.. View Post
Thanks for that, really helpful. Have upgraded the software as you recommended, didnt realise that as it was brand new it would need upgrading already as I hadnt put the Kobo Desktop on as I use Calibre!
They Kobo's come with the version of Firmware was current at the factory.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:56 AM   #10
D..
Enthusiast

Thanks for that, the new firmware has sorted out the last line on the page problem and the sleep mode is great, opens straight up on the last page read. I will have to try your method of deleting the original epub file from calibre as I have all of the surnames first but the original files didnt, it obviously picks up on the original epub file. Thanks for all of your help a new book reader is a bit of a shock after getting used to the old one but at last I am finding my way round and find it better than the Sony. Praise indeed!!