Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #31
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
I did not see any glare on their video :
http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/27/kobo-aura-hands-on/
From Kobo's images it looks like it's going to be a shinier surface, which usually means bad fingerprints (unless you put a non-glare screen protector over it). And I noticed glare several times as they tilted the reader, such as in this image from the video.

I'm curious about the glare and fingerprints to try and see one in a local store, but nothing about it tempts me to buy it to replace the Glo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aura Glare.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	110139  
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #32
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
I take their reviews about as seriously as I take gizmodo's, which is to say not at all.
Lord, I can't be bothered to watch those ninnies gush over the product while they have almost nothing interesting to say.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #33
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
The book on the cover looks really interesting. Unfortunately I can't find it on Amazon.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #34
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
When I first read the specs of the 7 HD I thought it was a mistake when they mentioned Tegra3, I assumed it was a typo for Tegra4, but looks like it's indeed a Tegra3. Surprising that they went with such an old CPU for that device. With the N7.2 just released, and the Nexus 10 being discounted (due to probably a new model being released soon), these Arc devices have they work cut out for them.

Last edited by afv011; 08-28-2013 at 11:46 AM.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #35
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
The book on the cover looks really interesting. Unfortunately I can't find it on Amazon.
I assume you don't mean the one on the Kindle, Song of the Spirits?
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #36
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
On this site (I'm in Canada):

http://www.kobo.com/koboarc7#techspecs
Storage: 8 GB (Available storage space 5.8 GB), expandable up to 32GB with a microSD card
I missed that the Arc7 had one the HD's do not.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #37
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Eating Duck View Post
I assume you don't mean the one on the Kindle, Song of the Spirits?
No. Wanderlist. It sounds like a list of exotic locations.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:03 AM   #38
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
No. Wanderlist. It sounds like a list of exotic locations.
Isn't that magazine?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:29 AM   #39
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
More hands-on withe the Aura http://mashable.com/2013/08/28/kobo-aura-hands-on/
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #40
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
From Kobo's images it looks like it's going to be a shinier surface, which usually means bad fingerprints (unless you put a non-glare screen protector over it). And I noticed glare several times as they tilted the reader, such as in this image from the video.

I'm curious about the glare and fingerprints to try and see one in a local store, but nothing about it tempts me to buy it to replace the Glo.
You can see that the screen looks good in that video comparison between the Aura and the Aura HD :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMu1PY1NDCw
Actually, it looks like the contrast is better in the Aura.

Last edited by Lbooker; 09-03-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #41
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
That Aura does look nice (bigger screen and resolution of the Aura HD isn't for me). I'll be watching on with interest to see what people think of it once it's released. If only they'd somehow managed to add side page turn buttons to it, I'd probably have jumped ship to Kobo, software concerns aside (though shiny screen concerns not!). Can't see Amazon re-introducing them either, and since the Sony isn't going to have a light, I can see me still trundling along with my old Kindle. Pity, as I'd quite like to upgrade now.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #42
e-leigh
e-leigh began at the beginning.

Device: nook, Sony PRS-T1
Aura and library books

I have a Sony T1 and have been longing for a reader with a front-lit screen. I was hoping Sony would release one this year, but it looks like that's not in the stars. So I've been looking at the Kobo Aura (HD or otherwise).

There is one thing I have in the Sony that I don't want to give up: the ability to download books (especially library books) directly onto the unit over wifi without having to sideload via my pc. I didn't know I would come to appreciate that so much, but I have. Reading reviews, it's not clear to me if the Aura can do that or not. Does anyone here know for sure? Thanks.
e-leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #43
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-leigh View Post
There is one thing I have in the Sony that I don't want to give up: the ability to download books (especially library books) directly onto the unit over wifi without having to sideload via my pc. I didn't know I would come to appreciate that so much, but I have. Reading reviews, it's not clear to me if the Aura can do that or not. Does anyone here know for sure? Thanks.
Kobo ereaders cannot process the .acsm files to download books from libraries.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #44
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
I will probably gave a look, and a bit of play with, the new reader and tabs if I'm ever in WH Smith (or any other outlets they end up in) but have no interest in actually buying any of them.

I have two 7" tablets, 2012 Nexus 7 and the Nook HD, as well as the third gen. iPad so my tablet needs are being well and truly met there. As for the new reader, as I have a Aura HD I don't see me migrating to the new Aura anytime soon.

If they had announced a front lit Kobo mini or a bigger (than Aura HD) eInk device it would be a whole other response to the news from me.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #45
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I am amused with the Aura 7 HD and may check it out if a retailing store carries it. I do have a new N7 so I would bring it along for comparison where applicable.

BUT I am even more amused that I have been around for awhile and never recall reading posts from three quarters of the folks who chimed in here.

Last edited by robertc88; 08-29-2013 at 02:42 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote