Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
mynameiskate
mynameiskate began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Sony Touch
Newbie Q - do I need to "authorize" PRS600 w/ Sony software?

So I just went out and picked up a Sony PRS600. I had a Kobo, but that's been given away as I couldn't stand the "click" the button made everytime I wanted to turn the page.

Anyhoo .. while figuring out the Kobo, I learned all about the wonders of Calibre, so I started using it for my ebook management.

I'm reading the manual on the Sony PRS600 (while it charges) and it says I need to install the Sony software to "authorize" the reader to be able to use DRM protected files. I was hoping to just us Calibre to manage my books (though I guess I did try Adobe's Digital Editions while messing w/ my Kobo - so maybe that authorized?)

OK, so my question - should I go ahead and install the Sony software, get it to do some magic authorization and from then on use Calibre? Or will I have to keep using the Sony software.

Thanks! Still trying to understand all the ebook management issues.
mynameiskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:32 AM   #2
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Yes, if you want to read books from the Sony store you'll have to authorize your Reader. You can do it quickly, just make sure that when Reader Library is open you click Edit > Preferences and uncheck the option to start Reader Library whenever you plug the reader in. This way you can open it when you want to buy books and otherwise leave it alone. If you don't want to use the Sony store ever then you can skip this altogether.

If you want to read books from Borders or any other store that uses Adobe DRM, or if you want to download library books, you have to authorize the Reader with Adobe Digital Editions. It is here. Again that is only something you have to do one time. You can download the software, authorize the Reader, and then uninstall it from your computer.

On the Reader's home screen, if you press More > Settings > About, you can see whether or not the Reader is authorized for Adobe DRM content. Once it is authorized you don't need to bother with it again. (at least as far as I know. I authorized mine in January and have since gotten a new computer and I have never had problems with books from Sony or Borders.)

You can manage all your books in Calibre. Just add them to your Calibre library from the Reader Library folder on your computer (default in Windows 7 is in Libraries > Documents > My Books > Reader Library) and go from there. I only ever use the Sony software to buy a book, and I manage everything with Calibre and it works out great.

Last edited by banjobama; 07-31-2010 at 04:38 AM.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 04:48 AM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
One thing: never run the Sony Library software and calibre at the same time. They get into brawls over whose turn it is to write to the device database, and the results get ugly. Make sure you have Sony's software set to not auto-start when you plug in your 600 (I understand there's an option for it now; I had to disable the old version with msconfig).

Calibre can move DRM-restricted (that's the accurate term, by the way, not "protected") around, so it can manage them along with your DRM-free books, load them on your 600, etc., but it can't convert them or view them. This is why friends don't let friends buy DRM-locked ebooks.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
mynameiskate
mynameiskate began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Sony Touch
@banjobama Awesome - thank you so much for these tips! I didn't know you could check the authorization on the reader (must dig into those settings!!). Thank you !!!

@Worldwalker Yes, I had heard that you shouldn't run them both at the same time - and now I know how to turn the automatic start off - yay! I'm still trying to wrap my head around the DRM-restricted thing. Ahh - ok, Calibre can move them but not convert or view them. That makes sense. Oh, and I read your overview of Calibre - VERY helpful. Thank you!!

Last edited by mynameiskate; 08-06-2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Hit "post" too quickly. :)
mynameiskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
jashsu
Connoisseur
jashsu doesn't litterjashsu doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
If you want to read books from Borders or any other store that uses Adobe DRM, or if you want to download library books, you have to authorize the Reader with Adobe Digital Editions. It is here. Again that is only something you have to do one time. You can download the software, authorize the Reader, and then uninstall it from your computer.
AFAIK, the Sony software is able to handle purchased and borrowed (e.g. from library) DRM books without Adobe Digital Editions, since it can open .acsm files and activates with your adobe ID. I haven't tried though, as I use ADE to download and transfer my DRM books and the Sony software only to deal with handwritten annotations. Already had ADE activated before I realized the Sony software could do the same thing and didn't want to waste another activation.
jashsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert