Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #1216
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@Verlander-
What are the first 4 digits of the serial number?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #1217
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Verlander-
You also might try the Jailbreak in NiLuJe's snapshots here...it will be the most up-to-date with regard to working on new serial number kindles.
Advert
Old 07-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #1218
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Verlander: What GoSharks said, check your current mode against the current list, if it's not in it, post the *first* four characters of the SN (and where/how you bought it, and if it's 3G or not) [and then stop, nothing you'll try will work anyway].

If it is, but it's a B017/9017, use the snapshots as GoSharks recommended.

In any case, *never* put multiple .bin files at the root at the same time.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #1219
Verlander
Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Thanks guys. The first 4 digits are 9017 and it is in the current list as Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi (4GB).

I have had a look at the snapshots but have no clear idea which one(s) I should use. I'd be muchly grateful if someone could give me the link(s), and I will try and take it from there.

As I have said the main problem is that the BIN files do not stay on the Kindle once the USB is disconnected. It is almost as if the device has some sort of anti-malware on it.
Verlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #1220
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Verlander: Yep, right now, that model is only supported by the snapshot versions (they're a 1:1 match for the release versions, I don't quite see what would be confusing you, everything's in that post, even a link to the original thread?), so the behavior you've experienced with the release is perfectly normal.

Bonus question: where was the device shipped to?
Advert
Old 07-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #1221
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verlander View Post
...I have had a look at the snapshots but have no clear idea which one(s) I should use. .
Kindle 5 (Touch/PW/PW2) Jailbreak.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #1222
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verlander View Post
As I have said the main problem is that the BIN files do not stay on the Kindle once the USB is disconnected. It is almost as if the device has some sort of anti-malware on it.
IT DOES!
*.bin files are "model locked" and cryptographically signed.

If you try to install a *.bin file not intended for your model, it will silently delete the file.
If the cryptographic signature does not verify, it will not be installed.

Which explains what the Mobileread "device jailbreak" is -
That is this site's signature certificate, which gets added to the directory of Amazon's signature certificates.

So:
If package is not intended for your model of device == mal-ware
If not signed by either Amazon or Mobileread == mal-ware

Last edited by knc1; 07-12-2014 at 02:00 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #1223
Verlander
Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Verlander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for your patience, guys - I got there in the end, and my custom screensavers are up and running!
Old 07-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #1224
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Verlander: If your device is linked to a US Amazon account, I'd be interested to know if you can successfully run official Active Content stuff (and if so, which FW version it's running) .
Old 07-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #1225
Verlander

@NiLuJe Device is linked to an Amazon UK account.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:14 PM   #1226
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Verlander: Then the mystery remains .
Old 07-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #1227
DeepB
DeepB began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have a kinlde PW (1) and I installed the linkss (not the python though) according to the first post. I also installed KUAL. Unfortunately it seems that the screensaver hack is not working. The installation works perfect, but whatever I do it does not show the "usccesfully installed" screensaver, although it is present in the linkss/scrensavers directory. It just continues to display the old screensaver.

Any idea what to do?

thanks
Daniel
DeepB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:43 AM   #1228
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@DeepB: If you haven't touched the settings yet, make sure you're *not* booting with the device plugged in. (Assuming you're not using a SO or Waterstones device, that is).
Old 07-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #1229
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@DeepB: If you haven't touched the settings yet, make sure you're *not* booting with the device plugged in. (Assuming you're not using a SO or Waterstones device, that is).
You forgot three things in your post:

1) 'usb cables are *evil*....'
2) 'Muwahaha!'
3) 'Mine is an evil laugh'

Thought I'd save you from having to edit later!
Old 07-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #1230
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@GoSharks: I made it! I have my own 'evil laugh' PA!

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch