Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-21-2012, 03:42 AM   #286
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
No problem,
No insult intended,
But if someone doesn't post the newbie stuff, how will any of our newbie readers ever learn (or learn what to google more of)?

I admit it, some days I get a bit carried away.
In fact, I put a "*nix knowledge" section in our "Tools Prefix" to help new members find this "Linux introduction" stuff.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #287
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titano View Post
Ah..No......... I... That's not right....... Okay, got about half that. I guess my way was wrong so I told people to disregard that.
Actually... no. Your script would provide pretty much everything that we need, and is (IMO) the simplest procedure to achieve this.

(Yes, to make it all complete, the kernels would have to be extracted somehow... they are buried somewhere in the first sectors of the device, but I never really understood how and where. This is somewhat underdocumented... geekmaster to the rescue!) Anyway (unverified claim!) I guess that the 5.1.1 images would work with the 5.1.0 kernels.

Now, if only someone with a 5.1.1 device actually provided those partition images...
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #288
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You can get the kernels with the "getkernels.sh" script. It works with the /dev/mmcblk0 device, or with an image of the first 32MB of the device (you can use dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/mnt/us/dev/mmcblk0.img bs=4K count=8" to get that image (which also contains uboot images so it good to have).

Also, I like to modify my dd commands a bit to make them run faster (mmc writes are slower than reads). Here is a typical command I use (as I recall):

dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K|tar czvf mmcblk0p1.tar.gz -

This is why my images tend to be in tar.gz files, BTW.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #289
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
TTS patch does not work for me. English Books are read in English and German (with a strange accent) but for german books the TTS is grayed out. Activated / deactivated several times ..., no clue.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #290
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
TTS patch does not work for me. English Books are read in English and German (with a strange accent) but for german books the TTS is grayed out. Activated / deactivated several times ..., no clue.
Problem verified, I'm working on a fix. In the mean time... Do you mind creating the german localization for the margins patch? Thanks!
Advert
Old 07-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #291
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
Fixed. It was a stupid lapsus - I simply forgot to register the patch for actually enabling the menu item. Please re-download the patch. Thanks for the report!
Old 07-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #292
Titano
Definitely not King Kong
Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You can get the kernels with the "getkernels.sh" script. It works with the /dev/mmcblk0 device, or with an image of the first 32MB of the device (you can use dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/mnt/us/dev/mmcblk0.img bs=4K count=8" to get that image (which also contains uboot images so it good to have).

Also, I like to modify my dd commands a bit to make them run faster (mmc writes are slower than reads). Here is a typical command I use (as I recall):

dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K|tar czvf mmcblk0p1.tar.gz -

This is why my images tend to be in tar.gz files, BTW.
Maybe someone should make a script to do this. (I think something interactive like the [crappy] one I wrote, to bad dd does not have a verbose mode.... ) That way when someone with a 5.1.1 kindle is willing to do it they just have run it and upload the files. (We could even make a gui launcher for it so they don't need to use xterm or the like.) I would do it (following what you guys have said.) but I think it would turn out really bad. (I only know what I have learned first hand.) What do you guys think? Also maybe we should open up a new thread because this is getting a little .
Titano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #293
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Maybe someone should make a script to do this. (I think something interactive like the [crappy] one I wrote, to bad dd does not have a verbose mode.... ) That way when someone with a 5.1.1 kindle is willing to do it they just have run it and upload the files. (We could even make a gui launcher for it so they don't need to use xterm or the like.) I would do it (following what you guys have said.) but I think it would turn out really bad. (I only know what I have learned first hand.) What do you guys think? Also maybe we should open up a new thread because this is getting a little .
The problem with these "user-friendly" approaches is that in order for the user to execute them, they will already need to have a modified device. In other words: we will never get completely pristine images using such methods.

Anyway, I guess that at least having something is better than not having anything at all, so I quickly wrote something user-friendly. It's not beautiful, and the code is quick and dirty, but it works. Tested and working on 5.1.0 (note: the extractions may take quite some time, i.e., more than 10 minutes for the main partition).

Requirements:
Installation: unzip the attachment, then copy the .azw2 to the documents folder of the device, then run it. It will produce the following files on the device:
  • mmcblk0p1.img.gz : main partition image
  • mmcblk0p2.img.gz : diags partition image
  • main_kernel.img and diags_kernel.img: kernels

Again, I know that this is not the best solution, but maybe it will finally convince someone with 5.1.1 firmware to make those images available to us.

Edit: There was a serious bug in version 1.0.0 which caused the tool to dump unusable kernels under certain circumstances ( full story here). Version 1.0.1 (now attached here) fixes this bug.
Attached Files
File Type: zip imgextract.zip (36.6 KB, 306 views)
File Type: zip imgextract-src.zip (34.5 KB, 263 views)

Last edited by ixtab; 08-06-2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Version 1.0.1
Old 07-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #294
Titano
Definitely not King Kong
Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
The problem with these "user-friendly" approaches is that in order for the user to execute them, they will already need to have a modified device. In other words: we will never get completely pristine images using such methods.

Anyway, I guess that at least having something is better than not having anything at all, so I quickly wrote something user-friendly. It's not beautiful, and the code is quick and dirty, but it works. Tested and working on 5.1.0 (note: the extractions may take quite some time, i.e., more than 10 minutes for the main partition).

Requirements:
Installation: unzip the attachment, then copy the .azw2 to the documents folder of the device, then run it. It will produce the following files on the device:
  • mmcblk0p1.img.gz : main partition image
  • mmcblk0p2.img.gz : diags partition image
  • main_kernel.img and diags_kernel.img: kernels

Again, I know that this is not the best solution, but maybe it will finally convince someone with 5.1.1 firmware to make those images available to us.
I didn't know you guys wanted an unmodded image. I look like that stupid guy standing in the background (I'm am the stupod guy standing in the background but still.). Oh well, live and learn . Well sorry about my rambling on and on about something that is just plain wrong. now I'll shut up.
Titano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #295
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
I didn't know you guys wanted an unmodded image. I look like that stupid guy standing in the background (I'm am the stupod guy standing in the background but still.). Oh well, live and learn . Well sorry about my rambling on and on about something that is just plain wrong. now I'll shut up.
Nevermind... actually that "requirement" wasn't really stated so clearly before, so don't blame yourself. And just keep exploring and contributing. Enthusiastic developers are always welcome here
Old 07-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #296
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No jailbreaks or certs or other mods to partitions needed with data.tar.gz and RUNME.sh backup method. Also, dd is much faster if piped to tar czvf -
Old 07-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #297
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
No jailbreaks or certs or other mods to partitions needed with data.tar.gz and RUNME.sh backup method. Also, dd is much faster if piped to tar czvf -
We all know that - but nobody did it. I guess people are just afraid. As to the changes required: if they only install these 3 requirements, then we clearly know which files have been added or modified, and could "undo" these changes on the image.

Finally, dd is piped to gzip in this case... Don't know if that makes a huge speed difference over tar. Anyway, I don't consider it to be of paramount importance - after all, you're not making partition dumps every hour, are you?

Last edited by ixtab; 07-21-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #298
geekmaster

I *was* going to do a RUNME.sh (someday real soon now, when I get around to it).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-22-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #299
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
I did not examine your download file yet -- does it really NEED all those listed requirements?
Yes, because it's a Kindlet...

Click image for larger version

Name:	imgextract.png
Views:	301
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	89523

- the jailbreak is required for obvious reasons
- the developer certificates are required to even run the Kindlet
- the Kindlet jailbreak is required because the Kindlet runs external commands and accesses the filesystem.

Still, that makes a total of 3 files on the device, of which only two affect the main partition (dev certs are installed to /var/local/). One of them can simply be removed (the jailbreak), and for the other one, the original file is well-known. So, if only those things are installed, it's really not a big deal.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #300
geekmaster

I see. No problem then. Thanks.

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks