Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #76
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
As far as reading a PDF page from a manual on the Amazon Fire, conceder this;

Wiki - Kindle Fire
"Excluding its external border the screen is a little larger than a 4x6 picture."

Reading an e-book would be just fine with those dimensions. Although some may want, or need, a larger screen.

Think about it this way, imagine an orchestra trying to read a PDF of sheet music from a 4 x 6 screen.

I'm not disappointed in the Amazon Fire, I may even get one for reading. It's just not what I need.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #77
LizzieB
LizzieB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle touch 3G
I'm SO glad Amazon introduced these items so I can now stop listening to the siren song coming from Apple. I smile every time I think of the content I can purchase withe the miney K've saved!!
LizzieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #78
tothepoint
Writer
tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: Kindle
E-ink is king. Hope they invent a device with a large screen, in colour, with e-ink in the future.
tothepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #79
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tothepoint View Post
E-ink is king. Hope they invent a device with a large screen, in colour, with e-ink in the future.
It has already been invented. See our wiki https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E_ink_color

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #80
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It has already been invented. See our wiki https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E_ink_color

Dale

OMG! if that's true...a color eink... and Amazon can release a device with that new eink screen... I will buy it right away!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #81
drd1135
drd1135 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
From what I've read, the head guy of the Silk development team said that Amazon has taken no special steps to prevent rooting. He said something like "It will get rooted, and then it's your problem".
drd1135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #82
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
What is that supposed to mean? "....then it's your problem." who was he speaking to?

Do you have a link/reference?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #83
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think he just means "root it if you want, but on your own head be it" - ie, Amazon won't help you if you screw it up.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #84
jswinden
Nameless Being

I don't think Amazon ever really went to any lengths to lock down the E Ink Kindles. The only exception is with the Special Offer models and only then to protect their investment in giving the buyer a discount. After all it makes good business sense to keep someone from buying a KSO then immediately hacking it to make it a non-SO.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #85
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I don't think Amazon ever really went to any lengths to lock down the E Ink Kindles. The only exception is with the Special Offer models and only then to protect their investment in giving the buyer a discount. After all it makes good business sense to keep someone from buying a KSO then immediately hacking it to make it a non-SO.
Except for attacking MobileRead for telling how to get the serial number, thus preventing reading Library books.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #86
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Oh man, I'm Jonesin for my Fire! I want it!!

It's getting worse....

Last edited by kennyc; 10-13-2011 at 05:54 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #87
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I just ordered the new Kindle Fire color tablet....

Pre-order here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...indleboards-20
I ordered one this morning. Didn't pre-order because I wanted to apply some gift cards to the order. Got the add-on charger (wall-wart) and stylus as well. It appears to be the last no-calif-tax order I'll get from Amazon. I look forward to getting lots of help from this sub-forum.

Whoops! This thread wasn't about the new $159 Fire was it!!? Sorry!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote