Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
kaleissin
Connoisseur
kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi, Kobo Glo
Angry Books in the cloud will be here on the 4th of April - 1984 made manifest

The publishers in my country (Norway) are skipping over the entire "problem" of downloadable ebooks by hosting ebooks in the cloud and supplying apps to access them. Pricing per book will start from USD 50 or so, same as hardcover. Article in local paper (translated)

Now, this scares me more than I can properly express. If you thought Amazon was evil for deleting "1984" from Kindles... with apps like these they'll know what you read, when you read it, and where you read it (it phones home). The only way to share is to lend someone the device the app is on. Here comes the big one:

They can edit the content of the files any time they want to. And they see this as a good thing.

I should mention that the big publishers in Norway own all the big bookstore chains, so they already have a cartel on books. They have used this in the past to prevent others from selling and publishing books. I don't understand why the "gummint" allows them to do this but they always look the other way. Books are so precious that corruption is OK, apparently.
kaleissin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleissin View Post

They can edit the content of the files any time they want to. And they see this as a good thing.
It's a Good Thing to be able to correct all the hundreds (thousands?) of mistakes that show up in ebooks... but I definitely see this entire scenario as a Bad Thing.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
reminds me of that part in 1984 where they edit all the books and rewrite it as they see fit. scary stuff.

amazing what power does to a person
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
When paying full price i expect the book not to be in the cloud.

Just don't buy. They will comes to their senses at some point.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I, for one, salute our new digital masters.

This is really not quite as revolutionary as you might think, though not in common use. Google Books, for example, intends to keep the content on their servers, and let you access it in your web browser. Similarly, subscription music services like Rhapsody work on the same principle.

And, of course, numerous existing services already rely on connecting to a remote server somewhere for authentication or coordination, and others (like Wikipedia) are information sources without any specific authority that can be altered at any time.

Of course, one could rely on copyright to keep the content distributors in line, but heaven forbid anyone says something positive about copyright 'round these parts.....

"Oh! most mighty king, the boundless air, that keepest the earth suspended in space, thou bright Aether and ye venerable goddesses, the Clouds, who carry in your loins the thunder and the lightning, arise, ye sovereign powers and manifest yourselves in the celestial spheres to the eyes of your sage." (Arisophanes)
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
In your case I would say the darknet is a wonderful alternative!

It's getting really scary what companies are willing to do to maintain control & ultimately screw their customers over while making money for their investors & own pocketbooks!

Quote:
The publishers in my country (Norway) are skipping over the entire "problem" of downloadable ebooks by hosting ebooks in the cloud and supplying apps to access them. Pricing per book will start from USD 50 or so, same as hardcover. Article in local paper (translated)

Now, this scares me more than I can properly express. If you thought Amazon was evil for deleting "1984" from Kindles... with apps like these they'll know what you read, when you read it, and where you read it (it phones home). The only way to share is to lend someone the device the app is on. Here comes the big one:

I should mention that the big publishers in Norway own all the big bookstore chains, so they already have a cartel on books. They have used this in the past to prevent others from selling and publishing books. I don't understand why the "gummint" allows them to do this but they always look the other way. Books are so precious that corruption is OK, apparently.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
That is a good thing. It's a very, VERY good thing. How often have you bought ebooks full of errors? This way, correct one central copy, and everyone gets the corrections automatically. That's wonderful!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That is a good thing. It's a very, VERY good thing. How often have you bought ebooks full of errors? This way, correct one central copy, and everyone gets the corrections automatically. That's wonderful!
It has always been easy to correct a digital file and then push the updated version to users. I doubt the big 6 are going to waste their time on simple grammatical errors, grammar is subjective after all.

It will first be used to erase/change content that an influential group deems to be inappropriate. Demeaning depictions of muslims for instance.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Is it wonderful if they take it upon themselves to sanitize Mark Twain? Or a make a host of other books politically correct and/or inoffensive?

And when the physical books become a scarce commodity, and all books are in the cloud, who will even know when the changes occur?

I don't care how paranoid I might sound; this is dangerous.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
It has always been easy to correct a digital file and then push the updated version to users.
Unfortunately that's not the case. Ever tried to get a corrected version of a book from a retail ebook store?
Old 03-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Unfortunately that's not the case. Ever tried to get a corrected version of a book from a retail ebook store?
No, I usually contact the author and send them corrected versions.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

And that too is why I've spent thousands of hours painstakingly proof-reading the books that I've uploaded here to MR. But my point is that if, by proof-reading an correcting one copy of a book, all the readers can automatically get that corrected version, that has to be a good thing.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #13
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
And that too is why I've spent thousands of hours painstakingly proof-reading the books that I've uploaded here to MR. But my point is that if, by proof-reading an correcting one copy of a book, all the readers can automatically get that corrected version, that has to be a good thing.
One of my maxims is don't store anything on a computer you are not afraid to lose. This cloud reading is just another technological price fixing scheme. You obviously care quite a bit about misplaced commas, but the weight of grammar in the minds of all falls on a spectrum.

I like listening to music and watching movies in the cloud, but I draw the line on books. They are just too important to place into the hands of the corporations.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #14
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
As long as there are monthly data caps from ISP's the cloud will never be an option for me under any circumstances. I will not pay to retrieve a file that should be kept locally...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #15
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Quote:
The publishers in my country (Norway) are skipping over the entire "problem" of downloadable ebooks by hosting ebooks in the cloud and supplying apps to access them.
It is a classic example of marketing speech when using many buzzwords sounds like it is a new thing.

Supplying books from the cloud to reading app is the same as downloading them from the server. It may be more restrictive DRM that requires permanent internet connection and downloading page by page so that it is harder to make a copy. Probably, these are rare technical books with small target audience that can bear with these little inconveniences.

Amazon can change the books stored on their servers too. When you download your previously bought book to a new device it might be an update. I don't know if they do it but how can you know?
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote