Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-21-2009, 02:01 AM   #31
CheriePie
Connoisseur
CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy S23+, Galaxy Tab S6
Karen, I'd sort of once heard that explanation about backing up of annotations being a possible cause for not being able to get updated versions, but then I never got anymore info on it. So can you give me more details, or point me to someplace where I can find more detail?

I'd like to disable the annotations backup feature on my own Kindle. I'm assuming that doing so however would only solve the updated books problem from the point that I disabled that setting, right?

Cuz yeah, speaking of Windwalker, he was one of the author's who originally thought I should be able to grab an updated copy of his book and I'd told him, no I couldn't as confirmed by Amazon CS. So if there was additional confirmation after that time that turning off annotations would indeed solve that problem, I never saw it (even though I'm also on his email mailing list and also regularly read your blog via Google reader).

So help a grrl out, will ya?

ETA - Oh, I just remembered something else from the time I was dealing with all this. I recall someone said that if you didn't add any annotations to a book, you'd be able to download any updates to it. However, I had tried that and it wasn't the case, even with books I didn't make any annotations on (bookmarks, clippings, notes, etc.).

So based on your post, it would seem that the annotations feature would have had to be completely disabled at the time the book was initially purchased/downloaded. Simply not making annotations to it (while still having the feature enabled) is not sufficient as I was able to prove myself. But you're saying I believe, that it has now been definitely proven that the disabling of Annotations from the start is what makes the difference here?

I'd also like to know of any other ramifications of disabling annotations backup. Is it only the annotations that are affected? Or is the backup of anything else such as periodicals or books affected as well? Thanks!

Last edited by CheriePie; 04-21-2009 at 03:11 AM. Reason: edited to add above
CheriePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #32
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriePie View Post
ETA - Oh, I just remembered something else from the time I was dealing with all this. I recall someone said that if you didn't add any annotations to a book, you'd be able to download any updates to it. However, I had tried that and it wasn't the case, even with books I didn't make any annotations on (bookmarks, clippings, notes, etc.)....

I'd also like to know of any other ramifications of disabling annotations backup. Is it only the annotations that are affected? Or is the backup of anything else such as periodicals or books affected as well? Thanks!
The issue is now apparently moot (although I had tested it and it was working previously). In March, Amazon made another change to DTP and now (as you found) authors cannot issue any updates at all. They will no longer be allowed update their book under the same ASIN (they could and some authors are still reporting success, but only those who purchase it after the update are getting the new version). See the comment on this blog: http://kindlereads.blogspot.com/2009...n-says-no.html by David Emberson.

It looks like some people had figured out how to issue basically daily or weekly magazines and sell them under a single price, updating on a constant basis (of course, for some of these self-published authors, it might have been more a matter of them constantly fixing typos and re-editing passages that a publishing house would have caught or they would have been forced to live with). So, no more updates for anyone, unless you return and re-purchase a book. Or, authors will have many copies of their book out for purchase (or will have to keep changing the valid ASIN, which means links to the book will constantly break).

However, I'll still leave my annotations off. It is extremely annoying to get notes and moved to a different start page when two of us on the same account are reading a book (or I didn't download one immediately and another person has started on it). My mother and I were constantly getting each other's notes until I turned this off on mine (I still need to do this on hers, the next time I see her; this happened on two books just this last week). The setting only applies to the notes and marks you set, along with tracking of last page read. The books are archived (and the last 6 copies of periodicals) at Amazon, no matter what. For periodicals, you should back those up yourself, also (I would not trust the "keep" function even).

Karen
http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/

ps. What would you think about an occasional physical book give-away on my blog? I sometimes get duplicates (I have two, right now) and can either give them away or take the used bookstore (some, though, are ARC's and have no resale value).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #33
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevisHendrickson View Post
Why so cheap? Truth is, I am far more interested in having people read my book than making money right now. So I invite you to take advantage of this limited time offer and enjoy!
Are you really interested in having people read the book? I thought it was cheap enough to take a punt on and buy, until I realised the link is for the kindle only.

Do you provide the book in any other formats for the same price?
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:26 PM   #34
KevisHendrickson
Zealot
KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Joe,

Although my book is available in other formats such as eBook and trade paperback, there is no such promotion for those versions of my book. The limited-time only 99 cent special is only available for the Kindle book version of The Legend of Witch Bane. However, if you are interested in reading a copy of my book in another format, you can visit the following link:

http://www.outskirtspress.com/thelegendofwitchbane
KevisHendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #35
CheriePie
Connoisseur
CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy S23+, Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
ps. What would you think about an occasional physical book give-away on my blog? I sometimes get duplicates (I have two, right now) and can either give them away or take the used bookstore (some, though, are ARC's and have no resale value).
Sure, I know a lot of people who give away books on their blog. Most of them are book review bloggers (like myself) thus they're often giving away the book they just reviewed, or a book by the author they just interviewed. However, any form of book giveaway is welcome I'm sure.
CheriePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #36
KevisHendrickson
Zealot
KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevisHendrickson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Thanks Kevis for the pricing on the book! I have downloaded it and have read just a little bit but enough to see that the book is a definite keeper and I am looking forward to reading it just as soon as I get though my e-backlog of books here. I have not read enough yet to comment on the plot but just from my brief sortie I can see that you have a very good grasp of characterization and a smooth authorial "voice." There were only a very few formatting issues -- mostly the initial caps on a chapter (I have yet to see an ebook where the initial caps were done 100% well) and also you might want to redo the main table of contents which are not live links and which are formatted sloppy. Very minor issues there!
For all you MobileReaders out there waiting for the green light, I got the word from my publisher this week that they have resolved the formatting issues in my Kindle Book. You should find that the kindle book version of The Legend of Witch Bane meets the same high standard as any other kindle book. Best part is you can still download your copy of The Legend of Witch Bane for 99 cents. Hope you all enjoy it. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by KevisHendrickson; 05-06-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #37
KevisHendrickson
Zealot

I want to thank everyone on MobileReads who decided to read The Legend of Witch Bane. I hope you guys are enjoying it!

I've been promoting my 99 cents special for the last month or so to give readers a chance to read my book at very little risk to their wallets. Hopefully those of you who are still undecided will give my book a chance. The response I've gotten so far has been terrific. Unfortunately, The Legend of Witch Bane will only remain at 99 cents until the end of May. So get your copy for this special price while you can!

Link to sales page: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001U3YKRU
Old 05-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #38
KevisHendrickson
Zealot

Today begins the final week that The Legend of Witch Bane will be available to Kindle owners for 99 cents. I am currently looking into getting my book published on MobiPocket for non-Kindle owners. But if you are interested in getting a copy of The Legend of Witch Bane for your Kindle, it will only be available for this special low price until May 31st.

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #39
KevisHendrickson
Zealot

There are only 5 days left for my special book promotion, so I figured what the heck? For the next five days any Kindle owner who wants to read The Legend of Witch Bane can do so for the extra low, low price of 80 cents. Sale ends on Sunday May 31st, so you'll have to move quickly to take advantage of this excellent price. Enjoy everyone!

Last edited by KevisHendrickson; 05-26-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:08 AM   #40
KevisHendrickson
Zealot

More than a few of the people here on MobileReads have expressed their disappointment to me that my books have not yet been made available to non-Kindle owners. Although I am working on getting my books published through MobiPocket, The Legend of Witch Bane is currently available in paperback and also as an eBook.

For those of you who would prefer to read my book now rather than wait until it is published through MobiPocket, you can visit my publisher's website at the bottom of this post to purchase either the paperback or the eBook. I don't own an eReader yet, so I'm unfamiliar with the process of transferring pdf's to an eReader. But I've been told by some of my readers that they were able to do so.

In the meantime, The Legend of Witch Bane is still available to Kindle owners for only 80 cents. I hope you guys decide to give my book a try and see what they are about.

Thanks and enjoy!

Last edited by KevisHendrickson; 06-15-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:57 AM   #41
KevisHendrickson
Zealot

80 cents fantasy book for Kindle

Amazon is currently offering an 84% discount on The Legend of Witch Bane. Kindle owners can now download The Legend of Witch Bane for only 80 cents. I invite all Kindle owners to download their free sample and see why the people who have read The Legend of Witch Bane have come to love it.

Thanks for your support and please enjoy the book!

Link to Amazon sales page:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U3YKRU

Also available in ebook/paperback. Follow this link to purchase:

Old 08-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #42
KevisHendrickson
Zealot

For those of you who haven't yet had a chance to see this thread, I'd like to take this moment to introduce my book The Legend of Witch Bane:

Synopsis:

3 desperate children, a young boy and his two sisters embark on a dangerous quest to rescue their kingdom from the malevolence of an evil queen. Along the way, they learn that the only weapon powerful enough to defeat the queen's dark and terrible magic is an enchanted sword called Witch Bane. But the origins of the sword are clouded in mystery and has the potential to unleash a great evil into the world.

The dreaded queen will stop at nothing to thwart the children's search for Witch Bane and sends her powerful minions to destroy them. Not the least threatening of the queen's arsenal of weapons is her plot to destroy the children with treachery. Will the children succeed? Or will they fail? Get your copy of The Legend of Witch Bane at Amazon and find out!

Editorial Reviews:

“The Legend of Witch Bane is a finely tuned, explosive page-turning fantasy story that will hold any reader's interest to the last page.”—Crystal Reviews

“If you loved Lord Of The Rings, The Hobbit, Grimms Tales, even far older tales lost in time then this tale has it all and will have you glued to its pages through every twist and turn.”—R.N. Hadley Book Reviews

(Now on sale for 99 cents!)

Link to Amazon sales page (Kindle):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U3YKRU

Also available in eBook/paperback. Follow this link to purchase:

Please download your free sample at Amazon. Thanks for your support.

Last edited by KevisHendrickson; 08-05-2009 at 02:13 PM.

Tags
childrens books, fantasy, kevis hendrickson, the legend of witch bane, young adult fantasy