Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
copota
copota began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Nook Glow Touch more font sizes possible?

Hope this hasn't been posted before, I looked around, though couldn't find a definite answer.

I purchased a Nook Glow Touch to replace the Nook Original. On the Nook Original, I could use Calibre to adjust the font size of a book to 16pt, which is a comfortable size for the person I set up books to read, particularly since they're sight impaired.

On the Nook Glow, it appears all font size adjustments by Calibre are completely ignored, and when you adjust the size from the reader, the font size is either too big or too small. Very frustrating.

Can anyone let me know of a method to use either via rooting or Calibre, whereby I can set the font to a specific size, such as 16 point. Or is the Nook Glow locked in to the pre-set font sizes offered within the readers settings menu?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited by copota; 06-02-2012 at 11:23 AM.
copota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
It is possible to set a font size by modifying the ePub and embedding a font; in fact, some books have embedded fonts and the CSS is defined in such a way that you can't modify the font from what the CSS specifies.

Other than that, if one font size is too big and the next too small, I usually change the font type, that seems to find a middle point.

Rooting might let you change fonts, but I have no experience there.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
copota
copota began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I usually change the font type, that seems to find a middle point.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, changing the font doesn't fill the gap like a 16 pt font did on my Nook original.

For instance, on the Nook Original, the Helvetica Neue Font at 16 Pt, typically gave me 16 lines of text on the screen. On the Nook Glow, I can get either 13 or 20 lines of text, which is either too small to read or too large for comfortable page turning, even by changing the font, the size still doe'nt match what I got on the Nook Original.

If there's no workaround, I guess I'll be shipping it back and hoping Kindle comes out with a Glow soon, lol.

Thanks again.
copota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Did you make sure to turn on "Use Publisher Formatting" (might not be the exact name) on the Text options screen? Without that any formatting in the book will be ignored.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font, glow, nook, size, str