Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-09-2021, 01:20 AM   #1
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Robert Aspirin's Myth Adventures - no longer available?

I went to grab the first couple myth adventures books in ebook format to start a reread, and found that they are no longer available at either Amazon or Kobo. There was a single book listed on Amazon (Myth Conceptions) and it said it was unavailable and 'under review'. Some of the reviews indicate that the transfer to digital was pretty horrible.

Does anyone happen to know what is going on with these? Would complaints about quality get a book pulled from the 'shelf'?
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:49 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
That reminds me: Time for my pill.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2021, 10:53 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Would complaints about quality get a book pulled from the 'shelf'?
Yes, that's possible.

I've a few Asprin books on paper: Phule's Company and Myth Directions Book 3 which has a Pratchett cover style cover.

He edited Storm Season which I also have.

I liked them.

The publishers are terrible about keeping stuff in print. Even POD paper costs are low enough to wholesale and retail a book at €12, a typical non-discount price. They are even worse at having an ebook copy. Why should they be allowed to keep the copyright when they won't produce the copy? There is no excuse now of print runs and warehouses etc with POD and ebooks.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:52 PM   #4
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
More likely just contractual issues. It happens more often than you think but people don't notice until it's a well known series. Most of them come back. British authors don't always reappear on Amazon US for a long time. It took me 5 years to complete a series by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles because books would disappear and not come back for 2-3 years. Also, I noticed that most of the Myth series now falls under the 35 year rule where the author (in this case, heirs) can take back copyright. Maybe that is the issue?

Last edited by Tarana; 09-09-2021 at 02:55 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:01 AM   #5
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I may have to post on Jody Lynn Nye's facebook page to ask about it, although it doesn't look very active. (she was Asprin's co-author of the later books in the series.) Phil Foglio (the cover and interior artist) might also have some vested interest but is even less likely to reply.
Advert
Old 10-19-2021, 04:22 AM   #6
Moonbase59
Zealot
Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Tolino Vision 5, Tolino Tab 8"
I’m fortunate to still have most of the Myth books as "dead-tree-editions", unfortunately only in German. I’d so much have liked to re-read them in English, but also didn’t find them listed.
Moonbase59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:56 PM   #7
GlennD
Wizard

I still have my paper collection as well, but I've been making slow progress on moving things I really want to save over to ebooks to save space. The ebooks also had Phil Foglio's illustrations, which aren't in the paper editions that I have.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:54 PM   #8
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
I still have my paper collection as well, but I've been making slow progress on moving things I really want to save over to ebooks to save space. The ebooks also had Phil Foglio's illustrations, which aren't in the paper editions that I have.
The last information i have seen is that Robert Aspirin estate is represented by Bill Fawcett & Associates, you might want to sent him a letter or email.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:51 PM   #9
bmorrill
bmorrill began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Mostly available on IRC, if you don't mind pirated books.
bmorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:43 PM   #10
GlennD
Wizard

I do mind pirated books.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:04 PM   #11
GlennD
Wizard

"Another Fine Myth" has been published in a Kindle version by "Prince of Cats Literary Productions". I googled the publisher (whom I had never heard of) and they do look legitimate.

According to a post on their Facebook page: "Prince of Cats LP is proud to be bringing back one of the great classics of fantasy: Robert Asprin's MythAdventures starting with Another Fine Myth in Mid July.
We love this series are are proud to have it returning with an introduction by Jody Lynn Nye and Art by Phil Foglio."

Hopefully they'll continue publish later entries in the series.
Old 09-22-2022, 04:07 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
"Another Fine Myth" has been published in a Kindle version by "Prince of Cats Literary Productions". I googled the publisher (whom I had never heard of) and they do look legitimate.

According to a post on their Facebook page: "Prince of Cats LP is proud to be bringing back one of the great classics of fantasy: Robert Asprin's MythAdventures starting with Another Fine Myth in Mid July.
We love this series are are proud to have it returning with an introduction by Jody Lynn Nye and Art by Phil Foglio."

Hopefully they'll continue publish later entries in the series.
So why isn't this eBook listed on their website? And it's disgusting that they are only publishing at Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 04:57 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So why isn't this eBook listed on their website? And it's disgusting that they are only publishing at Amazon.
Yes. Amazon's predatory publishing tactics with SP Authors and small publishers. No excuse for larger companies.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:52 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yes. Amazon's predatory publishing tactics with SP Authors and small publishers. No excuse for larger companies.
It means that a lot of people without a Kindle cannot read this. It should be available both on Amazon and as ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:43 AM   #15
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It means that a lot of people without a Kindle cannot read this. It should be available both on Amazon and as ePub.
You do not need a Kindle to read a book bought from Amazon--there is a Kindle app for iOS and Android, and a Cloud Reader for use on any modern browser.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote