Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
aBP
aBP began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
Switching from K4 to KPW2

Hey everyone, I am really thinking about picking up the new KPW. I currently read on my K4 with the lighted case, but I feel the case makes the unit feel heavy and of course lighting isn't nearly as clear as the KPW. I am looking to make the switch to the new PW but I am nervous about adapting to the touch screen.

My main concern is that when I read with my K4 I like to hold the device with my thumb on the screen. It's a very comfortable way for me to hold the Kindle and the nice screen never gets fingerprints. I really don't understand how people can hold it with their thumb along the tiny bezel like in the images on amazon.com.

My question is, if I tried to hold a KPW with my thumb flat on the screen, would it start to turn the page or possiby highlight words on the screen? How do you hold the KPW when you are reading?

TL;DR
How I hold my K4

How "Amazon" holds it

Will I have a problem with the KPW?
aBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Holding any touch screen reader the way you hold your K4 won't work for you. You'll end up highlighting something and pulling up the dictionary.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
aBP

I was afraid of that :/ How do you hold it? I noticed the KPW has a rather large "chin," could this be a possible anchor point? I feel that the bezel is so small, a person with large fingers would have trouble using it without accidentally touching the screen.

Something else worth noting is that I usually read in bed, lying on my back holding the Kindle above me with most of the weight of the device resting on my thumb. Which explains my concern.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBP View Post
How do you hold it?
Here's a quick pic of me holding my Aura HD, but I hold my Kindle Touch in a similar fashion.

Quote:
I noticed the KPW has a rather large "chin," could this be a possible anchor point?
Possibly. Are you somewhere you could go try one out?

Quote:
I feel that the bezel is so small, a person with large fingers would have trouble using it without accidentally touching the screen.
I don't know if it would have to do with hand size (I wear XL gloves), but just how someone might be comfortable holding it. I certainly wouldn't complain if someone used a bigger bezel, but smaller seems the way the market trends.

Quote:
Something else worth noting is that I usually read in bed, lying on my back holding the Kindle above me with most of the weight of the device resting on my thumb. Which explains my concern.
Yeah, I can see where that could be an issue. I read in bed all the time, but it's usually while laying on my side or while propped up by a pillow with the device held like in the pic with the bottom resting on my lower chest or stomach.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
aBP

Thanks for the detailed response It's helped me a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Are you somewhere you could go try one out?
I used to go to Target to check out the Kindles, but they don't sell them anymore. I just looked online and discovered that my local BestBuy has the KPW, I will definitely be going there soon to see how it feels in hand. Thanks for the idea!

Quote:
I don't know if it would have to do with hand size (I wear XL gloves), but just how someone might be comfortable holding it. I certainly wouldn't complain if someone used a bigger bezel, but smaller seems the way the market trends.
Very true. I can't deny it makes for a visually appealing device. As long as I can read comfortably I know I will be happy.

Quote:
Yeah, I can see where that could be an issue. I read in bed all the time, but it's usually while laying on my side or while propped up by a pillow with the device held like in the pic with the bottom resting on my lower chest or stomach.
Yeah I usually like to fall asleep during my read. Reading on my side is a simple enough solution.

I'll check out the old KPW at BestBuy, if I like the feel of it I will most likely pick up the new one in a few months. Thanks for your help!
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
Waitingforatrain
Groupie
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Voyage
Yeah, rest your thumb on the frame. You will get used to it quickly. I find that balancing the lower part of the Kindle in my hand works best for turning pages with my thumb.
Waitingforatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I hold my KPW the same way, but:

- I hold it with my right hand
- My thumb does NOT touch the screen. The Kindle "balances", and it "snags" in the palm of my hand just below my thumb.

Try this.

- Open your hand in front of you, thumb extended upward, fingers toghether, and pointing away from you. Face your palm upward.
- With your other hand, put the corner of the Kindle in the middle of the palm of your opened hand. Tilt the Kindle about 45 degrees.
- Now "cup" the corner in the palm of your hand by closing your fingers against the back. With a bit of care, you should actually be able to balance the Kindle without holding it with your other hand.
- Now also close your thumb, in such a way that the thick pad just below it grabs the Kindle's corner on the front.

If it's not completely comfortable, you can just reseat the corner of the Kindle a bit, and reposition your fingers on the back somewhat, until it feels right. You should now be able to hold the Kindle in any orientation, even upside down, without it falling. You can move your thumb from left to right in a semi-circle, and you should not need your thumb to hold it in place.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-05-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
I usually hold mine with my thumb half on the bezel and half on the side of the frame, first three fingers flat on the back and smallest finger under the bottom edge of the frame. I find I hold it the same with either hand. I usually swipe or tap with the hand that doesn't have the PW in it, but I could tap with the right thumb if I'm holding it in my right hand. Even though I have fairly large hands, I can't comfortably turn pages when I hold the PW in my left hand. Instead, I end up turning pages backwards.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:33 AM   #9
aBP

Awesome! Thanks for all the advice guys I will start practicing with my K4 until I get the new KPW!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
I usually hold mine with my thumb half on the bezel and half on the side of the frame, first three fingers flat on the back and smallest finger under the bottom edge of the frame. I find I hold it the same with either hand. I usually swipe or tap with the hand that doesn't have the PW in it, but I could tap with the right thumb if I'm holding it in my right hand. Even though I have fairly large hands, I can't comfortably turn pages when I hold the PW in my left hand. Instead, I end up turning pages backwards.
Weird...I hold it the same way as you, and I can turn pages forward one-handed with no problem, no matter which hand I'm holding it with. If I'm holding it with my right hand, I can't reach across and go back a page, but when holding it left handed, I can easily reach across the narrow strip on the left side and go forward.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LeftGrips.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	110476   Click image for larger version

Name:	PageTurns.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	110477   Click image for larger version

Name:	RightGrips.jpg