Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #16
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
(A "geek" coworker told me I was only a "mini geek" at this point)
I, too, am only "geek-lite." I was similarly hesitant because of the "unsupported" remark (as I think many of us were at first) but then I thought about how much software support any of us have really needed, and I don't think it's actually been that much. It's not like Entourage won't still help you with a defective battery or anything. We became accustomed to minor patches being regularly released at first, then... not so much. So, were we really *supported* with our latest version of Dingo? What does that even mean, practically speaking, compared to what we were getting?

So I decided that I probably wouldn't notice that much of a difference in terms of software support and upgraded. I don't know whether my reasoning is sound, but that's what I figured.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #17
Leslie
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
I, too, am only "geek-lite." I was similarly hesitant because of the "unsupported" remark (as I think many of us were at first) but then I thought about how much software support any of us have really needed, and I don't think it's actually been that much. It's not like Entourage won't still help you with a defective battery or anything. We became accustomed to minor patches being regularly released at first, then... not so much. So, were we really *supported* with our latest version of Dingo? What does that even mean, practically speaking, compared to what we were getting?

So I decided that I probably wouldn't notice that much of a difference in terms of software support and upgraded. I don't know whether my reasoning is sound, but that's what I figured.
So, as another "mini-geek/geek-lite" you say go for it, huh?

Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #18
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
So, as another "mini-geek/geek-lite" you say go for it, huh?
I'm pleased so far. But, I do have the full EE, not the PE. I don't want to talk you into anything.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #19
Filark
Edge User

I'm still on the fence, as well. Not so much because I'm "geek-lite" -- which I am! -- or because I worry about support, but because I'm inherently lazy.

I'll get around to it one of these days . . . .

Thank you for testing!

Old 04-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #20
GrumpyOldMan
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwill View Post
Thanks for the advice, it's exactly what the support told me to do, as they don't support Ermine Beta via email or over the phone.
So that exactly what I did, put (golden)update.zip on a usb key, and switching the PE on while holding down the Menu and Rotate button.
Well .. difficult to tell if that had any effect as the lcd screen (tablet side) remains white (all pixels on) as soon as the device in on. Even some shadowy flickering horizontal lines can be sometime seen.
I am awaiting further answer form support. I asked for a RMA form to return the device for warranty repair.
That seems to indicate it really is a hardware issue, sorry. I hope the return/exchange will be quick. (And don't forget to remove any microSD card before you ship it, that's kind of what would typically happen to me )

Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #21
Leslie
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
because I'm inherently lazy.
Ditto!

Sarah, I have the PE. I'm not sure I have it in me yet for the troubleshooting that may come with it

Old 04-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #22
alex_edge
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
I'm pleased so far. But, I do have the full EE, not the PE. I don't want to talk you into anything.
My PE upgrade has worked out much more smoothly than my EE upgrade, for what it's worth.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #23
Qwill
Edge User

Update of PE reset-button / hibernation / lighthouse adventure :
Let's make a summary of events as I disseminated my posts on this thewad and in the Entourage support experience thread.

* upgraded my 2 weeks old PE to Ermine, without any special preparation
* noticed that I had now 2 email apps, poor quality camera, 2 camera apps (V1 and v2.2.1), also noticed that journal app was V1. (I thought the PE didn't upgrade properly ?
* Enjoyed 2 weeks of Ermine heaven, hibernating and awakening without any troubles.
* Day 1 - Was reading a complicated pdf on the PE ( lost of figures and text altogether) and noticed the pdf renderer did not worked well on some pages.
* few minutes later, the PE froze, while I was on the reader app. I did press the reset button (should have hold the poweroff instead ?)
* After the reset, all my settings were gone (e-mail and gmail setup) Also all the icons have disappeared from the desktop (like it had resetted the desktop too). (That was the 1st post on this thread).
* Day 2 - worrying about a unstable profile, I first reverted to Dingo. I backed up my library. I did a factory reset, and upgraded to Ermine.
* Day 3 set up the mail and so on, PE was working good again ! Still had 2 camera apps, 2 email apps, and journal v1. Still making greenish pictures.
* Made some data exchange with the desktop using the mini usb cable. PE went to hibernation after a while (still pluggged in).
* 2 hours after, decided to wake it on, in order to unplug it properly and take it with me for lunch. PE start glowing of all its fire on the LCD ( screen completely white.)
* Long-pressed the power off. From now-on, I only got white screen on the LCD.
* After powered on-off, noticed the PE was playing a short tune , like a ring tone. (Said myself Ha ! its still alive!)
* Used reset button, long-press power-on etc .. nothing more than a blank lcd screen, with sometime ghostly black lines. PE seemes to be alive as it was beeping when pressing volume+/- buttons.
* Day 3 Called Support service. Told me they were not going to give any support by phone or email as I was running Ermine (as written in the warning statement on entourage update page). Told me to revert to Dingo.
* Day 4 reverted to Dingo. Couldn't confirm the result, the LCD remains white. Emailed support that it did not worked.
* Day 6 Called again support. Told me that it will be escalated to tier-3. Wrote me instruction to revert to Dingo.
* Day 10 Got email from tier-3 ... sending me instruction to revert to Dingo (!) - emailed back the same story.
* Day 11 Called back support - aks to get tier-3 phone / support denied this request, said they will escalate it again.
* 2 hours later, got tier-3 email - Gave me instruction for sending back PE for examination and repair. [to my relief!]

Seems that Android Froyo version upgrade was not so smooth also on different other devices (phones), from different forums on the net, symtoms were almost the same.
What are the cause ? fragmentation of corruption of the file system while saving the current state of memory of the device for hibernating / waking up , resulting in bad instructions sent to the GPU ?
Weird thing is that downgrade to Dingo does not help.... I was really wishing it would have made a complete reset...

Will keep you updated of further development, meanwhile, I have to recover from PE-addiction !!

Qwill.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #24
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Gave me instruction for sending back PE for examination and repair. [to my relief!]
I find the fact that they are still accepting repairs heartening!

Old 04-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #25
Filark
Edge User

Quote:
Will keep you updated of further development, meanwhile, I have to recover from PE-addiction !!

Qwill.
Let me know if you find a cure! I'm suffering from the same addiction, and getting worse! I just bid on an EE (which I absolutely do not need, but hope I win! ). If I do buy it, I will be joining Team Red!

I'm glad you got through to Tech support in the end, Qwill. It sounds to me like they are now acting just like a "normal" company -- sometimes you have to push fairly hard to get your message through.

Last edited by Filark; 04-20-2011 at 09:27 PM.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #26
Qwill
Edge User

Update : PE has been received by repair shop yesterday. Can't wait to get it back !

Old 05-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #27
AbbyN0rmal
Edge User

Hi Qwill, My PE is doing the same thing. Just got it yesterday, and I thought it was so cool.

Have you got yours back yet?

Old 05-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #28
Qwill
Edge User

My PE came back yesterday !! Its fully functional, but I didn't get any explanation of what happened nor what they did to do it.

* They apparently replaces some internal parts, as the case was the same ( same scratches at the same place)
* When I first started it, I was welcomed by a "unable to mount internal sdcard" message, and was stuck with a 512 mb memory space device ... I must say that I panicked a little bit.. At that time I had no access to internet
* As soon as I could connect it to internet, It asked for an upgrade ( from Dingo 1.11 to Dingo 1.11 (?) ) and ... Miracle ! the sdcard was now recognized !
** I had a lot of fun discovering that they exchanged the internal board ( or sdcard or memory chip) without erasing the new one ... there was a lot of files, music, and even pictures on this one that were not mine !
(Advice ... when you send your device for repair, ensure you have erased all your files !!!)

** I had to upgrade to ermine as my library backup was done with ermine and thus incompatible with the backup app under dingo. I did not want to do it, but I did it.

** The PE is now fully working. I made it hibernate on purpose and so far, no troubles.
I however am very carefull not to let it hibernating while connected to PC, as I still think it messed with the mounting/unmounting of the sdcard and was maybe related to my WSOD Woes.

So I am now again a happy Pocket-eDGer !

Old 05-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #29
AbbyN0rmal
Edge User

Thanks for the update and the advice, Qwill! I sent mine in on May 16 via priority mail but it sounds like I am in for a long wait before I see it again.