Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #31
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
if i hadn't just bought masses of christmas presents, i'd probably buy an astak. after seeing the folder support on my husband's present - a pocket pro - i have to admit that it was almost painful finding books in my cybook gen3. i prefer the dropdown menu navigation in the cybook, but the speed and folders in the astak won my heart.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #32
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
This is another vote for staying with my current ebook reader. I'm very happy with my Sony PRS-505. It improved upon the PRS-500 and took care of its limitations. Concerning the other readers, I haven't seen anything that makes me want to buy one.

When I do upgrade, it is likely to be for a reader with a larger and higher resolution screen (something suitable for graphic novels and manga). There are many manga titles I'd like to try, but my current screen isn't large enough (I'd rather not have zoom in and scroll around).
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #33
kissyfish
Connoisseur
kissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Irex Iliad
I am waiting for the new year. I like reading paper bookes, so I am really looking for something to keep my HUGE stacks of technical documents with me for immediate use.

I like the DR-1000, but I am a bit leary of iRex (I was the owner of an Iliad, which i loved, but some of the features they promised in the ad as being present never came to fruition). I am most interested in the Que, but really wished it did not run windowsCE, as linux makes for development opportunity in an environment I like.

Maybe the large Sony as well, as I originally had a 505, but the full-sized PDFs were a pain on it (as was true on the Iliad, hence my sale of both of them).
kissyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #34
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
I think another reader for me maybe at some point next spring. I had been considering a Kindle 2 for a while,ended up getting an iPod Touch.LOVE my sony readers (having my broken 505 repaired,so I can have it as a backup/loaner). I'm still on the fence about the Nook,loved playing with it for a bit when I saw an actual live unit in the store,however don't really have any desire to preorder it right now,as it wouldn't be something I'd see until February (if I recall the current predicted ship time). And I think next year could be overall interesting for ebook readers.We'll see what I end up buying. I'm still on the fence about the larger sized readers (ie Kindle DX and Sony 900),will wait and see on those,those might be fantastic for reading work documents and news papers etc.
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #35
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Nope, definitely not.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:09 PM   #36
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
As the first response noted, with the 30 day return policy there's no harm (beyond paying return shipping I believe) in giving a Kindle a try if you want.

Personally, I very happy with my K1 for leisure reading so I'm not on the market for a new device right now. And probably won't be until some stuff like the Plastic Logic Que is out in the spring, and some tablet devices roll out etc. so I can see what happens in the large screen, stylus touch screen devices as I'd like something like that for my academic work.

For leisure reading, the Kindle does everything I need.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:29 PM   #37
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Nope, been lent a Fujitsu Stylistic (Slate PC) while the owner's in Africa for the year, using that. They took the PRS-505 with them this time, though, heh.

I also need companies to actually like, pay me what they owe me, before I could buy one anyway mind you.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:24 AM   #38
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I would love an option for the ink-screen to be backlit... as as turn-on feature...

I read a lot at night, when doing nightshifts, and at the moment I'm using my palm for that... but I'm reading a lot more during the day now that I've got my Hanvon.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:56 AM   #39
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I would love an option for the ink-screen to be backlit... as as turn-on feature...

I read a lot at night, when doing nightshifts, and at the moment I'm using my palm for that... but I'm reading a lot more during the day now that I've got my Hanvon.
Unfortunatelly e-Ink screen cannot be back-lit because its opaque.
I think Sony tried something similar with the PRS-700, but it didn't work out too well.
I get by quiet nicely with a clip-on LED light which attaches to my e-reader case.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:03 AM   #40
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Well, how bout this? Buy whatever you're interested in & use it for a while. Then, when they come out with that next great improvement you can't live without, go ahead & sell your 'gently used' one. You've recouped a good portion of your expense, had the pleasure of using a new device for a while, and the $ you sold it for will go a long way towards the purchase of the NEXT one. We do that with computers...sell'em while they've still got good resale value so the cost of the next one doesn't sting quite so much.
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:11 AM   #41
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPie View Post
Well, how bout this? Buy whatever you're interested in & use it for a while. Then, when they come out with that next great improvement you can't live without, go ahead & sell your 'gently used' one. You've recouped a good portion of your expense, had the pleasure of using a new device for a while, and the $ you sold it for will go a long way towards the purchase of the NEXT one. We do that with computers...sell'em while they've still got good resale value so the cost of the next one doesn't sting quite so much.
Hey! That's my plan!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:22 AM   #42
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Great minds think alike!!! You must be an old retailer...(or not so old) Hubby taught me that lesson long ago...buy something, enjoy it, sell it, & go on to the 'next' big thing.
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:38 AM   #43
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPie View Post
Great minds think alike!!! You must be an old retailer...(or not so old) Hubby taught me that lesson long ago...buy something, enjoy it, sell it, & go on to the 'next' big thing.
I think it's particular apropos of any electronic device these days.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:12 AM   #44
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
My prs-505 is great at what it does, so my next new toy would tend to need to be very different as far as features or form factor to get me to buy it. A notable exception would be if sony brought out a prs-510 that was a 505 with more memory, faster pageturns and the multilanguage support of their current devices so I could get english menus on a german model without having to reflash it like I did with my 505.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:28 AM   #45
ladonna123
Breaking News
ladonna123 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm holding out until something good exists. Sadly that may yet be a long time.
ladonna123 is offline   Reply With Quote