Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-13-2012, 02:06 AM   #1
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Nook HD: FAQ and UG highlights (for fun)

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/supp...k-hd/379003759

First, a DRM alert?

2. Why is my NOOK not recognized by my computer running Windows XP?

If you are using Windows XP, you will need to have Windows Media Player 11 or later installed for your computer to recognize your NOOK.

8. Can I charge my NOOK from my computer?

No. You cannot charge your NOOK while connected to your computer. You must charge your NOOK from a wall outlet using the NOOK power adapter and USB cable.

14. Where do I view my personal files from a microSD card on my NOOK?

Personal files saved on a microSD card installed in your NOOK can be found in your Library.

From the Home screen:
1) Tap on Library.
2) Scroll through the Library and tap on My Files.
3) Tap on SD Card, found at the top of the screen.

Your personal files and folders will show.

Finally, from the User Guide...

* Your Library holds: [snipped list, ending with...] any files you have sideloaded (transferred from your computer) onto your device

* When your NOOK formats a microSD card, it uses the exFAT file system, which supports unlimited file sizes. NOOK HD and NOOK HD+ ereaders can read exFAT memory cards, but other NOOK eReaders can read only memory cards formatted with the FAT32 file system.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I don't think the first one is a DRM issue so much as it is a drivers issue.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I don't think the first one is a DRM issue so much as it is a drivers issue.
Maybe - but those are the same requirements specified for managing a Zune or Rhapsody-compatible portable player, both Microsoft DRM hosebeasts.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by oj829 View Post
8. Can I charge my NOOK from my computer?
You can actually charge from a computer. They do not show as charging because, if in use, they drain more current than the computer can provide, but if in stand-by they will charge, albeit slowly.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by oj829 View Post
Maybe - but those are the same requirements specified for managing a Zune or Rhapsody-compatible portable player, both Microsoft DRM hosebeasts.
Do you know what? You could be correct.

I was going to dispute the relationship between Nook and MS DRM, but the NooK HD also supports Ultraviolet DRM. Who knows, that might be the reason you need to have WMP installed.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
jeankap
EReading Gadget Maven
jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: All of 'em.
It doesn't support ultraviolet out of the box as a default, though. You have to enable it. Something which I haven't done, and don't have plans to do.
jeankap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:

I was going to dispute the relationship between Nook and MS DRM, but the NooK HD also supports Ultraviolet DRM. Who knows, that might be the reason you need to have WMP installed.
Windows XP has no built in MTP support. Those MTP drivers are included in WMP.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:

It will support UV, but doesn't so far (mine says coming soon when I try to enter my account info). Also UV doesn't require WMP, unless this is something UV/B&N specific.

I'd guess as Geert says it's an MTP thing.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeankap View Post
It doesn't support ultraviolet out of the box as a default, though. You have to enable it. Something which I haven't done, and don't have plans to do.
While at b&n, I just downloaded and installed Flixster app from their store. I logged into my account and saw all my uv videos. I did not enable anything from the settings menu on the device.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
jeankap
EReading Gadget Maven
jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.jeankap has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: All of 'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
While at b&n, I just downloaded and installed Flixster app from their store. I logged into my account and saw all my uv videos. I did not enable anything from the settings menu on the device.
Well that's good to know. I don't watch videos on my nooks, so it was not a good decision for me to post on features I don't use... Sorry!
jeankap is offline   Reply With Quote