Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
[android app] Calibre Companion & Moon+ on Nexus7

I love my new Nexus7, Moon+ Reader Pro, and (most of all) Calibre Companion.

Got the Nexus7 yesterday, my first Android device and first small tablet. After charging the battery, it took about 90 minutes to do all this:
  • Set up Nexus7, gmail account, and wallet (with $25 credit toward purchases from Google).
  • Got Calibre Companion, Moon+ Reader Pro, and Aldiko.
  • In calibre, under Sharing, started the wireless device connection.
  • In CC set up group for #genres, and sort by series (with no need to set up Metadata Plugboards in calibre for Android device).
  • Set CC to store books in Moon+'s folder Books/Moonreader.
  • Wirelessly loaded some EPUBs and PDFs to Calibre Companion.
  • Set the Moon+'s Miscellaneous -> Typesetting options to indent paragraph and trim blank lines.
  • Tested Moon+'s brightness/dimming controls, with convenient swipe gesture.
  • Tested Moon+ with EPUBs and PDFs.
  • Tested and trashed Aldiko.
  • Downloaded and tested Android File Transfer, a small Android file manager application that runs on OS X, since OS X doesn't support MTP. Now I can sideload an Android device such as Nexus7.

All that setup incredibly/fantastically fast and smooth, without any problems, so off and running --

-- up to this stumbling point, removing books from the Nexus7. Moon+ creates 2 .png's per book when it opens a book, and stores the .png's in an invisible folder Books/.Moonreader. When books on the Nexus7 are removed by calibre, or by CC, or by Moon+ (I successively tested each of those Removes with different books) the .png's remain behind in that invisible folder. And accumulate there. Does anyone know a way to automatically solve this problem? It's a minor problem, fixable with the manual workaround of periodically bulk deleting all the old .pngs in .Moonreader folder. But still a bit annoying because the way I operate the books on the device are there temporarily, read then removed, so there is a lot of turnover of books on the device. Those .png's will accumulate fast. Am I missing some relevant setting(s) in calibre, CC, or Moon+ that could solve this minor problem?

It's early days, but I hope to use CC, Moon+, and Nexus7 as my main setup for reading nearly everything (edit: along with calibre as main library hub) , assuming that charging the battery daily isn't too much hassle. I'd been using EPUB all along as my preferred format and "master copy" (except for some PDFs) in calibre. So for me this means no more need for automatic EPUB to MOBI conversions in calibre-send to Kindle3 or KindleT, no more:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It's MOBI-Madness up in here!
No more need for Kindles. No more need to read complex PDFs on iPad, which I often avoided because iPad was too big, heavy, and glary for long-duration reading. No need for iPad at all, except possibly for larger display of some graphics oriented books such as comic books or art books, which I haven't tested yet on the Nexus7.

Any clues for solving The Case of the Accumulating png Files?

Last edited by unboggling; 09-20-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: clarify
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Once the MTP drivers are stable, it should be possible to add support for deleting sidecar files like those pngs, when you use calibre to delete files via MTP, provided they have a well defined naming system.

Ping me a few weeks down the road, and I'll look into it.

Though really, Moon+ should delete its sidecar files when you delete a book from its interface.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Once the MTP drivers are stable, it should be possible to add support for deleting sidecar files like those pngs, when you use calibre to delete files via MTP, provided they have a well defined naming system.
That would be cool. Did I miss something? I thought calibre MTP wouldn't be available on OS X (which is what I'm on).

Quote:
Ping me a few weeks down the road, and I'll look into it.
that would be a .png ping ...

Quote:
Though really, Moon+ should delete its sidecar files when you delete a book from its interface.
Agree. But since Moon+ doesn't (unless I missed an obscure setting option), it'd be nice if CC did, but it would be better if calibre did (including on OS X).

Edit: Yeah, Moon+ pngs are well defined. If filename is Joe Abercrombie - The First Law 02 - Before They Are Hanged.epub, the associated .png files are the same except for appended (no space) _1.png or _2.png as in:

Joe Abercrombie - The First Law 02 - Before They Are Hanged.epub_1.png
Joe Abercrombie - The First Law 02 - Before They Are Hanged.epub_2.png

Last edited by unboggling; 09-20-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@unboggling: There is no setting in CC that will clean up after a reader program.

They appear to be cover images, which it probably uses to accelerate drawing its bookshelf view, Kovid is right -- Moon+ should delete these files itself, but it doesn't. I will look at adding some kind of consistency checker that is app-based, but it will probably need to wait until we have a more rational preferences setup.

BTW: Moon+ survives deleting the entire directory. It recreates it when it needs it, adding the covers at that time. That is a fast way to clean up after it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
@unboggling: There is no setting in CC that will clean up after a reader program.
Thought that likely, vaguely recalled you mentioning that in a prior post somewhere.

Quote:
They appear to be cover images, which it probably uses to accelerate drawing its bookshelf view, Kovid is right -- Moon+ should delete these files itself, but it doesn't. I will look at adding some kind of consistency checker that is app-based, but it will probably need to wait until we have a more rational preferences setup.
Eventually, it would be great if CC could eventually trash those persistent Moon+ pngs. Since CC grabs from calibre, doing the .png delete along with format delete from CC makes sense to me, though I'm in the habit of deleting things from the calibre end rather than the device end. btw, as a brand new CC user, the preferences didn't seem irrational to me. But I know what you mean.

Quote:
BTW: Moon+ survives deleting the entire directory. It recreates it when it needs it, adding the covers at that time. That is a fast way to clean up after it.
Thanks for the tip. There are some other things in the .Moonreader directory, at least with Moon+ Reader Pro. A file debug.txt and a directory pdf-fonts containing Times-Bold and Times-Roman ttf files and a cache directory. This might be different than the free version which AFAIK doesn't include PDF support. And I'm not sure those would be automatically replaced if I delete the entire .Moonreader dir. The Android File Transfer application on OS X doesn't let me copy those which I'd want to do before testing the delete.

Edit: Learned how to copy and delete on Android end. Deleted .Moonreader dir. Restarted Nexus7. Transferred some PDFs from calibre to CC and opened them in Moon+. Moon+ recreated the debug.txt which is just some version & build info, and also recreated the dir pdf-fonts and its contents. So deleting the entire .Moonreader dir works well. Thanks for mentioning that.

Last edited by unboggling; 09-20-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Ah OS X, then no. It may be that someday OS X gets decent MTP support, someone would need to fix the libusb port to OS X for that. libusb currently tries to wake up suspended devices, which causes hangs on some OS X machines. That means it cannot be used in calibre until the hanging is fixed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Ah OS X, then no. It may be that someday OS X gets decent MTP support, someone would need to fix the libusb port to OS X for that. libusb currently tries to wake up suspended devices, which causes hangs on some OS X machines. That means it cannot be used in calibre until the hanging is fixed.
Hmmm. libusb is an open source project. I wonder if anyone is working on that over there. Isn't MTP relatively new? I guess someday someone may fix libusb for OS X. Meanwhile us deprived OS X -ers will suffer MTP deprivation. Much more survivable than oxygen or water deprivation. It's not worth the trouble to install a Windows partition just to have MTP. Now, a Linux partition might be interesting on its own merits anyway…

Edit. Dec 2007 MTP 1.0, I just looked at the spec. That's not so new….

I'll look into setting up a Linux partition, been meaning to do that anyway. What Linux flavor do Linuxphiles recommend? Or is the answer to that, a different flavor for each particular Linux addict?

Or is the libusb problem related to a hardware implementation of USB ports on certain Macs, in which case MTP wouldn't work from Linux partition on those Macs either?

Last edited by unboggling; 09-20-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
electronicfur
Connoisseur
electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Samsung Note FBReader, Nook Simple Touch FBReader, (Kindle3 died)
Hi Unboggling,

I have a question about Moon reader. When reading PDF files, is there a way to double click on a paragraph of text and get it to zoom to fit that paragraph to the screen?

Mantano does that, and I use the feature a lot when reading PDF magazines on my phone. Its a lot easier than having to pinch zoom and get the zoom level right manually.

I like what I see with Moon+ reading mobi files, which Mantano doesnt support, so would be ideal to move to Moon+ for me.

Cheers,
EF
electronicfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicfur View Post
...I have a question about Moon reader. When reading PDF files, is there a way to double click on a paragraph of text and get it to zoom to fit that paragraph to the screen?
AFAIK: nope. But I'm new to Moon+ Reader Pro (the paid version that can read PDFs), so maybe I missed an obscure setting. (pinch zoom works.)
Old 09-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicfur View Post
Mantano does that, and I use the feature a lot when reading PDF magazines on my phone. Its a lot easier than having to pinch zoom and get the zoom level right manually.
Use Mantano for PDFs and Moon+ for Mobi. Calibre Companion will allow you to put those files automatically into different folders or leave them in any one folder you want and associate PDFs so they are opened by Montano and Mobis so the are opened by Moon+. Then use Calibre Companion to select and open the books.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
IDtheTarget
IDtheTarget began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
How did you do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
I love my new Nexus7, Moon+ Reader Pro, and (most of all) Calibre Companion.

Got the Nexus7 yesterday, my first Android device and first small tablet. After charging the battery, it took about 90 minutes to do all this:
  • Set up Nexus7, gmail account, and wallet (with $25 credit toward purchases from Google).
  • Got Calibre Companion, Moon+ Reader Pro, and Aldiko.
  • In calibre, under Sharing, started the wireless device connection.
  • In CC set up group for #genres, and sort by series (with no need to set up Metadata Plugboards in calibre for Android device).
  • Set CC to store books in Moon+'s folder Books/Moonreader.
  • Wirelessly loaded some EPUBs and PDFs to Calibre Companion.
  • Set the Moon+'s Miscellaneous -> Typesetting options to indent paragraph and trim blank lines.
  • Tested Moon+'s brightness/dimming controls, with convenient swipe gesture.
  • Tested Moon+ with EPUBs and PDFs.
  • Tested and trashed Aldiko.
  • Downloaded and tested Android File Transfer, a small Android file manager application that runs on OS X, since OS X doesn't support MTP. Now I can sideload an Android device such as Nexus7.
I did all of that, but my books don't automatically show up in Moon+. I admittedly am *NOT* an expert in Calibre or Moon+, but usually I have to copy my calibre library over to my Android device and "import" the books to moon+.

How do you get the books to just pop up on the "My Shelf" after the CC push from Calibre?

Thanks!
IDtheTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheTarget View Post
I did all of that, but my books don't automatically show up in Moon+. I admittedly am *NOT* an expert in Calibre or Moon+, but usually I have to copy my calibre library over to my Android device and "import" the books to moon+.

How do you get the books to just pop up on the "My Shelf" after the CC push from Calibre?

Thanks!
Select a book in Calibre companion: Click the read button (moon+ should open with the book), why mess with the shelves? CC provides covers, and 1 click gets you the metadata/details about the book with an easy launch included.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I did all of that, but my books don't automatically show up in Moon+.
The steps outlined do not cause books to be imported to Moon+reader.

Quote:
As theducks stated opening a book in Moon+Reader via Calibre Companion will cause the book to show up in Moon+Reader.

In CC just do a long press on any book and you can avoid the Metadata Book Jacket altogether. Just place your finger on your book of choice and leave it there until Moon+Reader starts to open or the dialog to select a reader pops up. I have the dialog set to always bring up Moon+Reader for ePubs, so I never see the pop up dialog anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
why mess with the shelves?
I never import books into Moon+Reader anymore. I'm with theducks on this point.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, calibre companion, moon+, nexus7