Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
dr1ver
dr1ver began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK STR
option for full refresh after root?

if i root the STR, is there an app that offers an option for a full refresh every page turn? i find artifacts and ghosting that occurs with the 6-page refresh annoying. i can barely perceive the speed difference btw the 2 modes. i don't know why this wasn't an option
dr1ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1ver View Post
if i root the STR, is there an app that offers an option for a full refresh every page turn? i find artifacts and ghosting that occurs with the 6-page refresh annoying. i can barely perceive the speed difference btw the 2 modes. i don't know why this wasn't an option
I know Coolreader3 does which is what I use.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
dr1ver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
I know Coolreader3 does which is what I use.
thanks! i'll look into it
Old 01-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
I am not using a rooted nook ST, but from what I have read, most reading apps will do a refresh every page turn, other than the stock app and I think there is 1 other one where you can set the screen refresh frequency.

As for why to do it, it saves battery power. A simple screen refresh (I would guess, I don't actually know) probably uses a fair amount less power than refreshing the entire screen. Also for some people it is less "jarring" wiping the text and redrawing the new text rather than refreshing the entire screen.

From a personal perspective I barely notice the ghosting unless I look real close. However, it could be in part because I don't keep track of it, but it seems like mine doesn't always refresh every 6 pages. It seems like sometimes it is 3 or 4 pages between refreshs and other times 5 or 6 pages. A little odd, but meh.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
dr1ver

Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
I am not using a rooted nook ST, but from what I have read, most reading apps will do a refresh every page turn, other than the stock app and I think there is 1 other one where you can set the screen refresh frequency.

As for why to do it, it saves battery power. A simple screen refresh (I would guess, I don't actually know) probably uses a fair amount less power than refreshing the entire screen. Also for some people it is less "jarring" wiping the text and redrawing the new text rather than refreshing the entire screen.

From a personal perspective I barely notice the ghosting unless I look real close. However, it could be in part because I don't keep track of it, but it seems like mine doesn't always refresh every 6 pages. It seems like sometimes it is 3 or 4 pages between refreshs and other times 5 or 6 pages. A little odd, but meh.
i understand all the reasons for the 6-page refresh rate. i just don't understand why there wasn't an option for full refresh. even if it halves the battery life, plugging the STR in every month is not an inconvenience.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Yeah, it would have been nice to have that option. Or heck, even an ability to change the frequency of refreshes more than simply on or off (though just having that would be nice). Say from every page up to every 10 pages (I don't find the ghosting bad at all on the current amount, and might not even with a few extra page turns before a refresh).

Of course, if wishes were fishes I'd be asking for allowing me to set a device name and getting the shelves to work right with microSD content, oh and having access to the 750MB of reserved storage space for side loaded content.

Maybe also customizing the home screen with what I want on it.

azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
dr1ver

maybe all that'll be in the next firmware update =)
Old 01-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
tym
Connoisseur
tym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five words

Device: nook touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1ver View Post
maybe all that'll be in the next firmware update =)
The kindle just started offering this update. My guess nook will not be far behind. Now I dont have the ghosting issues. Maybe others do? Would be nice to have the option to change it. Be interesting to see what it does to battery life.
tym is offline   Reply With Quote