Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Please chose the correct answer
E-Ink are better for eyes from my own experiance 75 72.82%
E-ink are not any better for eyes compared to LCD from my own experiance 26 25.24%
E-Ink are worse for eyes from my own experiance 2 1.94%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #16
lack
Zealot
lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.

Device: PRS-650
There was a flame-filled thread that discussed the same thing, and something I learn from it, is that the issue is not as simple as which one is "Better in (my) eyes"

Just like the poll shows, ppl mileage vary. If you intend to research this more carefully, ask them what kind of activity they are doing in which display and whether the straining experience differ in each activity. Consider also the medium, if we talk LCD, is it monitor, a smartphone, a tablet, or so on. If it is a portable device ask them how was their body position etc etc...

Just my 2 cent.

For me, I can safely say I use LCD monitor for many hours in a day without any problem, but that is work. Once I get home and try to read book on it, I won't last 2 hrs. Eink (just reading of course) oth, I can last triple that mileage easily.
lack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
For me, it's just that I simply prefer the look of e-ink. I have good eyes so if I wanted, reading on an LCD for hours would be fine, but I enjoy reading on e-ink much more. So if I'm going to have a dedicated reading device, I definitely want e-ink.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #18
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Physically, neither is "better" for your eyes. They are simply different, and the rate at which one tires out the eyes, which vary from individual to individual, depends on your typical reading conditions, which vary from individual to individual.

IOW: Don't worry about which is considered better or worse; worry about how you read, and pick your display based on your habits.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #19
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Actually, reflective (non-backlit) B&W LCD was better than early generation eInk in bright-to-normal light. IMO, the latest eInk (Pearl) screens are now better than reflective LCD. In dim light, backlit color LCDs are probably the best, mainly because reading in the dark without a light source is kind of dumb.

Your question needs to discriminate among these FOUR options to be at all meaningful.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #20
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
Actually, reflective (non-backlit) B&W LCD was better than early generation eInk in bright-to-normal light. IMO, the latest eInk (Pearl) screens are now better than reflective LCD. In dim light, backlit color LCDs are probably the best, mainly because reading in the dark without a light source is kind of dumb.

Your question needs to discriminate among these FOUR options to be at all meaningful.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
I actually find it quite interesting the very limited number of ebook readers using the reflective LCD. Essentially it is only the Jetbook (and Aluretek etc which are for sake of argument the same reader - firmware excluded).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #21
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Physically, neither is "better" for your eyes. They are simply different, and the rate at which one tires out the eyes, which vary from individual to individual, depends on your typical reading conditions, which vary from individual to individual.

IOW: Don't worry about which is considered better or worse; worry about how you read, and pick your display based on your habits.
There you go again, being all logical and stuff.

A better question might be:

Which is more mind numbing -
Yet another senseless eink vs LCD debate
Yet another senseless DRM debate
A whole crowd beating yet another dead horse
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #22
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Yet another senseless eink vs LCD debate
Yet another senseless DRM debate
A whole crowd beating yet another dead horse
Start a new poll with THESE options!
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:54 AM   #23
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I can read on either with absolutely no problem... I'd like to have a backlit device for night time reading. The previous backlit devices I've read on are my PDA (Palm Zire72) and my iPod Touch. I'd like a 6-7" backlit reader..

I think our eyes are as individual as we are.. My eyes can't see in bright light (the lights from a car coming towards me), but I know many people, who's not bothered at all by it.

I don't think a discussion which is best for the eyes will go anywhere.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #24
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
Absolutely. E-ink is way, way better for reading than LCD.
+1

I can't read on LCD at all while on E-Ink I can read for hours without any discomfort for my eyes.
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote