Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
onironir
onironir began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Dictionary on iliad? how to configure?

Hallo,
I update firware and now I'm able to use Dictionary!
I download and put in MMC Card the GCIDE dictionary (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12000)

How can I install it?
how to use this dictionary to search words in other ebooks?
Thank you in advance,
Onironir.
onironir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
Blue
Connoisseur
Blue is on a distinguished road

What I did was opening the prc file on my computer with mobipocket reader and then it syncs the dictionary with my iLiad.

Next time I open a book, I've got new symbols at the bottom, the first I can touch with the stylus and then press on a word to look it up and the second is used to 'type' a word.

Hope this helps
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2008, 03:29 AM   #3
onironir
onironir began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
I thank you for answering me.
I use linux and I lost the Iliad's DVD software.

what is "mobipocket reader"?

There is a way to install dictionary using linux ... I mean just putting something in card or in memory?

or... where can I get software for linux?

which dictionary do you suggest for me?

Thank you for answering me.
Onir

Last edited by onironir; 02-05-2008 at 03:37 AM.
onironir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:15 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A dictionary is just a MobiPocket book; all you should need to do is copy it (via USB) to the "MobiPocket" folder on the iLiad, just as you would any other book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The directory is (something like) Books/Mobipocket on whatever filesystem you end up on when you press the books key (which takes you to the Books directory).

Usually, when a .prc or .mobi file is opened (e.g. in Books) the iLiad creates a separate directory of the same name and copies the e-book into it with a manefest file (just as it does for PDFs, say). However, the MobiPocket Reader does not understand the iLiad's weird contentlister scheme and so books in the Mobipocket directory are handled differently - i.e. just like they would on any other computer. So when you open an e-book in the MobiPocket directory it stays in that directory (no subdirectory created). This is where Windows MobiPocket Reader would put all your .prc files. If you don't use Windows MobiPocket Reader to manage your e-books you can put them where ever you want, but dictionaries must be in the Mobipocket directory.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
sharpshin
sharpshin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sharpshin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sharpshin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sharpshin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iliad V2
Quote:
wallcraft
The directory is (something like) Books/Mobipocket on whatever filesystem you end up on when you press the books key (which takes you to the Books directory).

Usually, when a .prc or .mobi file is opened (e.g. in Books) the iLiad creates a separate directory of the same name and copies the e-book into it with a manefest file (just as it does for PDFs, say). However, the MobiPocket Reader does not understand the iLiad's weird contentlister scheme and so books in the Mobipocket directory are handled differently - i.e. just like they would on any other computer. So when you open an e-book in the MobiPocket directory it stays in that directory (no subdirectory created). This is where Windows MobiPocket Reader would put all your .prc files. If you don't use Windows MobiPocket Reader to manage your e-books you can put them where ever you want, but dictionaries must be in the Mobipocket directory.
This behavior isn't working for me. I've configured my Iliad to put the books directory on a CF card and have a "Mobipocket" subdirectory there. Whenever I open a .prc file in the directory, Iliad does its normal subdirectory/manifest thing and the dictionary icons are greyed out. It does this to GCIDE too. If I open the dictionary directly I can look up words like you would expect to. Is there some restriction to running Mobireader only out of internal memory?

I'm perplexed.

Update: I moved the dictionary file (GCIDE.prc) to internal memory (/mnt/free/books/Mobipocket) and it seems to work. Apparently Iliad doesn't redirect Mobipocket awareness to CF, which seems like a bug. Oh well, I can look up obscure words from Dickens like "beadle" now.

Last edited by sharpshin; 02-06-2008 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Update
sharpshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:06 AM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshin View Post

Update: I moved the dictionary file (GCIDE.prc) to internal memory (/mnt/free/books/Mobipocket) and it seems to work. Apparently Iliad doesn't redirect Mobipocket awareness to CF, which seems like a bug. Oh well, I can look up obscure words from Dickens like "beadle" now.
Here's an excerpt from an email I (and probably everyone else) got from iRex today regarding software release 2.12:

"Support Mobipocket folder on MMC, CF and USB

* It is now possible to create a ‘books\Mobipocket folder on MMC, CF, or USB memory. This will work the same as the Mobipocket folder located in the internal memory. Dictionaries will work from any of these locations."

So, whether you see the problem as a bug, or the above as an enhancement, that seems to indicate to me that you may find a desirable result in the upgrade.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:08 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You beat me to it, Marc - I was about to post the same excerpt from the e-mail .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:37 AM   #9
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You beat me to it, Marc - I was about to post the same excerpt from the e-mail .
Well, now I'm feeling quite chuffed with myself.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
sharpshin
sharpshin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sharpshin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sharpshin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sharpshin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iliad V2
Seems like I need to stay up later in case a software update comes thru while I'm sleeping.
sharpshin is offline   Reply With Quote