Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Could the page-turn speed be do to the eReader app? The eReader app on my G1 is definitely laggy. Does the release of the Novel mean that a B and N eReader app release for Android is immanent?
I don't think it's the reading app. Page turns in the book shelf is just as slow.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:00 AM   #17
Avarwen
Connoisseur
Avarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of light

Device: EZ_ Reader, Nook wifi, Kindle 3G
I was waiting until someone reviewed this to see if it's worth buying. I'll wait till more firmware updates come out and more reviews are made. This makes me question Augen The Book another cheap reader I was looking at buying. But with more android devices coming out I'll be bound to find something though I may have to pay more than I had planned.
Avarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #18
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
I picked up the Novel this morning. I'll post my impressions in a couple hours.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #19
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
Well, I'm pretty patient and will reserve judgment until after updates are received from the manufacturer. My iPad is too heavy for my mother but she is interested in either the Nook or the Novel. She has handled the Nook and likes it. So now waiting on the Novel to arrive. I ordered it online for $199 minus 20% off (stupid CA sales tax ate up $14 of that) and 99 cents shipping for a total of $175 at Kohls. I looked again yesterday and it went up to $259.

I've handled several readers, favoring the Sony PR 700, some Hanvon units, and the Nook but settling my iPad. Also a tech guy so I'll see how the Novel works with the updates and see if Mom will like it. Slow page turns don't bother her. She has commented on how much she likes a color screen vs grayscale e-ink.

I think the Novel has a lot of promise and potential. All new gadgets have bugs and quirks but they do get worked out. The iPad was no exception. Now I love it immensely. And I'm a PC guru.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

I just talked with my local Kohls in Arlington, TX and was told that the Novel will go on sale in the local store tomorrow. It will debut at $174.99 and will have a $15 mail in rebate to lower the price to 159.99, assuming you ever get the rebate. This is not the online sale, this is the in store sale that starts tomorrow, at least in my local store. My local store claims to have them in stock. I think for that price it is worth a try as it can always be returned.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #21
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

WARNING!!!!!!!

The firmware on the Pandigital site S10_06_07_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP will definately cause the wireless to malfunction. I will post a link to the other firmware which is working (with different issues but working better) S10_06_05_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.

Here is the link for the 05 firmware that seems to be working much better than the newer 07. S10_06_05_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip. I will leave it up until Pandigital fixes the problem in a newer firmware.

Last edited by ColdSun; 06-08-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
WARNING!!!!!!!

The firmware on the Pandigital site S10_06_07_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP will definately cause the wireless to malfunction. I will post a link to the other firmware which is working (with different issues but working better) S10_06_05_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.

Here is the link for the 05 firmware that seems to be working much better than the newer 07. S10_06_05_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip. I will leave it up until Pandigital fixes the problem in a newer firmware.
ColdSun, what is your opinion on the Novel? Nate seems to view it negatively. Do you think it is a good device? so-so? not worth the money? I'm considering picking one up tomorrow when they go on sale, but probably not if I get two negative reviews.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #23
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
ColdSun, what is your opinion on the Novel? Nate seems to view it negatively. Do you think it is a good device? so-so? not worth the money? I'm considering picking one up tomorrow when they go on sale, but probably not if I get two negative reviews.
look here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86132
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #24
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

I say pick it up from Kohl's. You can always return it if you don't like it. There are some firmware issues, but I still think its a good device. One thing is for sure - you have to like Android, at least a little.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:14 AM   #25
FriendOfEntropy
Radioactivist Mutant
FriendOfEntropy began at the beginning.

Device: Witstech A81, Toshiba e310 Pocket PC
Alright, just bought one of these online...did the 30% off to bring it down to 122.49 thing...then with the 15 buck rebate and free shipping, this will be nice. I don't see the rebate form on their site, so I guess I need to check Pandigital, or actually go in the store at Kohls tomorrow and see if they have a rebate form there.
FriendOfEntropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #26
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Important info concerning Kohls and the pandigital Novel

I don't want to double post, so check out the following link concerning Kohls and the apparent recall...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=85502&page=2

Last edited by Noah98; 06-09-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:08 PM   #27
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

OK I just got off this phone with Pandigital tech support. I just LOVE the fact that I can talk to someone about this here in the US.

THIS IS NOT A RECALL!

Tech support told me they are simply pulling the units off the shelf at the stores and their technicians are going in and installing the latest firmware and then placing them back up for sale. So if you already have one, or have one coming in the mail, its just a matter of putting the firmware on the device. There is no hardware recall. Again, I got the sense that they are super serious about supporting this device.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #28
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
OK I just got off this phone with Pandigital tech support. I just LOVE the fact that I can talk to someone about this here in the US.

THIS IS NOT A RECALL!

Tech support told me they are simply pulling the units off the shelf at the stores and their technicians are going in and installing the latest firmware and then placing them back up for sale. So if you already have one, or have one coming in the mail, its just a matter of putting the firmware on the device. There is no hardware recall. Again, I got the sense that they are super serious about supporting this device.
From a logistics standpoint this seems fishy, to say the least. Pandigital has no techs at Kohls. Kohls sales staff barely know their own names, much less how to install firmware. Therefore Pandigital will have to pay to ship the units back to them and then back to the stores. That is triple shipping costs for Pandigital! That will eat up there profits.

Also, why did they wait until the very day of release to do this? Are they attempting to dodge the advertised sale price? Or are they being run by BP's PR people. Either way it seems rather stupid. If they knew the firmware sucked they should have pulled them way back when and had them fixed in time for the debut day.

Also, their website gives instructions on how to install the firmware updates. People who buy an Android tablet will need to know how to do that anyway as Android is far from being a polished OS.

I really hope what they told you is true, but I'm extremely suspicious that there is more going on than we know about.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #29
FriendOfEntropy
Radioactivist Mutant
FriendOfEntropy began at the beginning.

Device: Witstech A81, Toshiba e310 Pocket PC
To me, it sounds like a lot of bull that some local store employees made up because they read or heard about the deep discount opportunity that day, and they are either buying them for themselves, holding for friends, etc.

But who knows. My order still says "in fulfillment" status at the moment.
FriendOfEntropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #30
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

I have talked to two different technical people at Pandigital. Both were extremely nice and helpful, and trust me I'm no pushover. I can't say what they told me was true, but they seemed obviously irratated that Kohl's was telling people that the device was being recalled due to missing parts or defective. Both of them stressed to me that the device simply was getting new firmware loaded.

If anything I would question Kohl's with their intentions. Perhaps they sold more at lower prices than they expected and decided to slow things down? Still, from a hardware perspective, I've seen devices with a LOT more problems than this one and at a lower quality go out the door.. So... We will have to see when some of you receive your devices other than me.