Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #226
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
I think I'll be buying the new Aura but I am looking forward to a review by Allesebook.de as their recent review of the Sony T3 was far more useful than any other reviews I've seen.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #227
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
That's interesting, whereabouts are you in the UK? I found the Glo in Watford WHS very soon after launch - then, after playing with it, purchased online.

I've currently got the PW 1 but am looking forward to leaving Kindle world and getting collections working with Calibre again without the need to jailbreak and generally mess around. I was considering the Sony T3 but am concerned that not being front lit, the screen will be mid grey again and lacking in contrast on cloudy UK days.
I'm in Glasgow so maybe we were just slow getting them up in the North!

The Sony T3 would possibly have been my first choice IF it had been front-lit, that's my sole reason for upgrading so it's now out of consideration. The suggestion that the background on it is in fact slightly greyer than the T2 isn't very promising for it either.

The cloudy UK weather and the generally gloomy winter is exactly why I want a front-lit reader. I'd never bothered even considering a clip-on light, but after the Glo & Paperwhite were released last year, I really noticed during the winter just how grey the screen of my Kindle looked at times.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #228
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Here is the link to the text review.
Yikes. What is this "Beyond the Book" - underlined text? I HOPE you can turn this off? It would be a total deal-breaker for me if random words in a novel that I am reading (or even non-fiction) were underlined. From their text review:

... along the bottom. There's also a link to Kobo's new Beyond the Book feature. Think of this as a sort of equivalent to the Kindle's X-Ray, a way of getting some quick contextual information about what you're reading -- that includes terms, characters and anything else the company's "complex algorithm" (don't want to spill the beans on the special sauce, right?) gathers up.

These pages are also accessible through underlined terms in the text. There weren't a ton of them while reading The Hobbit, so we didn't find it particularly distracting.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #229
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I expect that this feature will only be in kEpub format books purchased from Kobo and not in the ePub version of books.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #230
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Still non the wiser where to buy one of these in the UK on day one release
WHsmiths have nothing on their web site for pre-order as do none of Kobo's recommended retailers

Last edited by gargoyle67; 09-09-2013 at 01:34 PM.
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #231
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I emailed Kobo about retailers and this was their reply

''The anticipated release date for the Kobo Aura is October and as such the device is only available to be pre-ordered on the Kobo website. Once the device has been released, it will become available in retail stores that sells Kobo devices such as WH Smith, Staples etc''
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #232
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post

''The anticipated release date for the Kobo Aura is October and as such the device is only available to be pre-ordered on the Kobo website. Once the device has been released, it will become available in retail stores that sells Kobo devices such as WH Smith, Staples etc''
Wow, that is quite different from the email that Booklover6 received which said:

The New Kobo Aura will be released on September 16 in United States, Canada, France, Australia. New Zealand, Italy and United Kingdom.

I wish they would give out correct information, or at least the same info!

EDIT: I've emailed Kobo asking the same question .... I wonder what response I'll get!

Last edited by Lyn2012; 09-09-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #233
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post

Thanks for the info, But I thought the UK release date was penned for 16 November ?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...218615&page=15
>

"Yes, my email said this:

The New Kobo Aura will be released on September 16 in United States, Canada, France, Australia. New Zealand, Italy and United Kingdom."
Old 09-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #234
TheBard
Bifocal Wearer
TheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTheBard juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch, Aura, Clara ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle67 View Post
The New Kobo Aura will be released on September 16 in United States, Canada, France, Australia. New Zealand, Italy and United Kingdom."
http://www.kobo.com/kobo-aura.html
Has the following small print:

"***Pre-Orders begin shipping on September 11, 2013. Your credit card will be charged upon shipment, accompanied by a confirmation email."

So, there may be a difference between being "released", and being "shipped".
TheBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #235
gargoyle67
Addict

That's still earlier than October though.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:10 AM   #236
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
Yikes. What is this "Beyond the Book" - underlined text? I HOPE you can turn this off? It would be a total deal-breaker for me if random words in a novel that I am reading (or even non-fiction) were underlined. From their text review:

... along the bottom. There's also a link to Kobo's new Beyond the Book feature. Think of this as a sort of equivalent to the Kindle's X-Ray, a way of getting some quick contextual information about what you're reading -- that includes terms, characters and anything else the company's "complex algorithm" (don't want to spill the beans on the special sauce, right?) gathers up.

These pages are also accessible through underlined terms in the text. There weren't a ton of them while reading The Hobbit, so we didn't find it particularly distracting.
I find this vey worrying.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #237
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Sounds like those that pre-order from Kobo will get it sometime in September, whereas anyone who wants to buy it from one of the retail shops, will have to wait another couple of weeks until October.

That sounds reasonable enough? They'll want to look after their customers who are willing to pre-order and make sure they have the stock available for them, then they can concentrate on stocking up their retail partners.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #238
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Sounds like those that pre-order from Kobo will get it sometime in September, whereas anyone who wants to buy it from one of the retail shops, will have to wait another couple of weeks until October.

That sounds reasonable enough? They'll want to look after their customers who are willing to pre-order and make sure they have the stock available for them, then they can concentrate on stocking up their retail partners.
I preordered HD in Canada and it was in the stores a week before it arrived. Mine wasn't shipped till after it was in the stores.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #239
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
I find this vey worrying.
That's a odd think to be very worried about. So a few words are underlined. I am sure you will be able to turn it off. If not I don't see how a word here or there underlined will ruin the reading experience for you.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #240
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
That's a odd think to be very worried about. So a few words are underlined. I am sure you will be able to turn it off. If not I don't see how a word here or there underlined will ruin the reading experience for you.
Well, maybe I'm still used too much to the treebook. I don't want hyperlinks (for that's what they are, after all) in a book. Who puts them there? Who decides what word I need more information on? If I need more info I can find it myself, thank you (and probably from better sources).
And will we be able to turn them off? I certainly hope so, but knowing Kobo, I'll first have to absolutely sure before I buy.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote