Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #46
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Wow, I was really excited to read that, until I noticed the date. :-(
In software development when many coders are hacking away on the same code, old bugs can unfortunately be re-introduced (aka code regression). This is why all software changes should undergo a thorough testing prior to release (aka regression testing). I posted in a separate thread to ask whether there had been a regression in the code affecting power use. The old posting Mrs_Often linked to above is cited as precedence. My thinking is if it's happened before, it can happen again.
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #47
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have to remember that if I start a 2GB download an go to bed, that I should prevent the laptop from going to sleep.
FYI to everyone playing with disk images: the internal sd card disk image compresses quite well and doing so can save a lot of time/bandwidth. Mine sits at 372MB using gzip which is a worthwhile saving over 2GB
Old 02-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #48
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
The chance of two in a row is probably very minimal... meaning the chance of three bad ones in a row is almost non existent, right?
You would think so wouldn't you. My second "new" touch is no better and I'm considering RMA'ing that too but I don't really have confidence in this being a hardware issue. I just hope someone at Kobo will front up and confirm either way so we can stop chasing our tails.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:24 AM   #49
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
You would think so wouldn't you. My second "new" touch is no better and I'm considering RMA'ing that too but I don't really have confidence in this being a hardware issue. I just hope someone at Kobo will front up and confirm either way so we can stop chasing our tails.
It's a bit early to tell, but this 3rd Glo appears to be the same as the other two. From the 20th to this morning, it's dipped from 86% to 48%.

I'd like to find some common traits between us. In my case, I use sideloaded epubs almost exclusively, and I use Calibre to manage my library and transfer books. Wireless has never been configured, and is always off. I can't think of any other setting that might have an impact.

Before I pass judgment, I want to ensure it's gone through several %100-to-%0 cycles.

If this one failed, I would love to send this directly back to a Kobo representative. (Sameer, are you listening?)
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:51 AM   #50
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
It's a bit early to tell, but this 3rd Glo appears to be the same as the other two. From the 20th to this morning, it's dipped from 86% to 48%.

I'd like to find some common traits between us. In my case, I use sideloaded epubs almost exclusively, and I use Calibre to manage my library and transfer books. Wireless has never been configured, and is always off. I can't think of any other setting that might have an impact.

Before I pass judgment, I want to ensure it's gone through several %100-to-%0 cycles.
Yep me too. My replacement went from 64% to 0 in 2.5 days. But, this is out of the box, so no calibration done yet. However, I do remember when I first got my Touch 15 months ago, out of the box, it lasted me at least a week...

And indeed, we should be looking for similar configurations. I really cannot image you'd get three bad batteries in a row :S

Following the settings menu:

- Facebook NOT signed in
- Adobe NOT authorised
- Light indicator CLEAR
- Light auto off: 15 min
- Auto sleep: 15 min
- Auto off: never
- Screen saver: on, full screen
- Sleepcover listening: NO
- Time zone: UTC 1:00 (locale manually set to en_GB, but used to be standard en_US on my first Glo)
- Language: English (en_GB, not standard en_US)
- Page turning: most left option (left/middle/right evenly divided)
- Page refresh: "oh the humanity!" (= 90, but was 6 on first Glo)
- Page numbers in margins: NO
- Reading Life: ON (what? it's on??)
- Reading Life notifications: ON (huh??)
- Wifi: OFF (generally off, though I use it occasionally so it is configured)
- Serial # begins with: 613A2C
- µSD: NO
- Firmware: 2.4.0 (84fbb7111a, 12 feb 2013) (but first Glo was on 2.3.1 and 2.3.2)
- Sideloaded books exclusively for me too, though I have some kepub previews on my Glo
- Sideloaded books managed, converted and transferred with Calibre
- Other reading settings: Georgia, size just left of middle slider, line spacing two steps (but minimum set to 80% with Calibre), margins not sure, but text appears about 0.5 cm from the bezel. Justification on.
- I use a Kindle sleeve, no magnets as far as I know (see here).

We know margins messed up remembering where you stopped reading... but could it suck the battery dry? I could imagine something to go wrong with having Reading life and notifications on though... I never get any awards (anymore) though. Hmm.

I'm also interested to see everybody else's settings, good and bad battery devices alike.

Quote:
If this one failed, I would love to send this directly back to a Kobo representative. (Sameer, are you listening?)
I hope so

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 02-22-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:59 AM   #51
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
- Page refresh: "oh the humanity!" (= 90, but was 6 on first Glo)
- Firmware: 2.4.0 (84fbb7111a, 12 feb 2013) (but first Glo was on 2.3.1 and 2.3.2)
What do you mean 90??? 90 page turns???
Isn't the last firmware date-stamped on Feb. 14th?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:06 AM   #52
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
What do you mean 90??? 90 page turns???
Isn't the last firmware date-stamped on Feb. 14th?
Yep, 90 page turns See here. Gets rid of the black flash when reading. Current firmware is so good with ghosting that 6 page turn refresh is even "too" often (for me). Plus, before any ghosting gets in the way I usually do something in the reading menu anyway (check time, for instance), and that refreshes the page (well, exiting the menu refreshes the page).

And yes and no. The "first" 2.4.0 was on the 12th... and then a "second" appears to have been released on the 14th. Not sure of the differences yet. There's a discussion going on about it at this very moment in the Direct Links thread.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:14 AM   #53
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Yep, 90 page turns See here. Gets rid of the black flash when reading. Current firmware is so good with ghosting that 6 page turn refresh is even "too" often (for me). Plus, before any ghosting gets in the way I usually do something in the reading menu anyway (check time, for instance), and that refreshes the page (well, exiting the menu refreshes the page).
Oh, I didn't know. Interesting
Since there was some ghosting on the Mini with the previous firmware, I'll stick with the 6 page refresh.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #54
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm

Quote:
In my case, I use sideloaded epubs almost exclusively, and I use Calibre to manage my library and transfer books. Wireless has never been configured, and is always off.
Same but my wireless is configured, just hardly used.

Quote:
I can't think of any other setting that might have an impact.
I can think of a few. Font (possibly non-standard font rendering but definitely size), screen refresh rate, sleep/power off settings, reading life event checking and database updates..... Actually typing this I've just had a further thought: with various social reading aspects and marketing being woven into the UI, I wonder if we also have periodic background checking for connection to the outside world which loops when wifi is off?

Quote:
There's a wall-of-silence around power issues which suggest that Kobo policy is not to comment. This unhelpful stance means I expect they're going to be fielding a lot of RMA'd units.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #55
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm

Quote:
Yep, 90 page turns See here. Gets rid of the black flash when reading.
Interesting but I think I'd opt for extending it to a higher automatic rate if I were tweaking. Whilst common sense says less refreshes=power saving, when weighed against Wifi and whatever is causing the current rapid power drain, I'd expect it to offer a relatively minor additional saving.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #56
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Interesting but I think I'd opt for extending it to a higher automatic rate if I were tweaking. Whilst common sense says less refreshes=power saving, when weighed against Wifi and whatever is causing the current rapid power drain, I'd expect it to offer a relatively minor additional saving.
Sure, I agree. But I didn't change it for battery saving. I changed it because it's more comfortable reading (no black flash).
Old 02-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #57
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm

Quote:
Sure, I agree. But I didn't change it for battery saving. I changed it because it's more comfortable reading (no black flash).
.... which is a perfectly legitimate reason I'm too hung up on power at the moment I think. Can't see the book for the batteries
Old 02-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #58
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
.... which is a perfectly legitimate reason I'm too hung up on power at the moment I think. Can't see the book for the batteries
Haha. Very understandable. I'm having trouble too.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #59
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
My apologies to VelvetElvis and Mrs_Often, but I keep forgetting to write up my findings with the boks they supplied.

The short answer is that they had no noticeable effect on the battery life of my Glo.

The very incomplete log for the week before last is:

Code:
20130211	09:20	75%	Opened book from VelvetElvis - p207
20130211	13:39	75%	Checked - turned to p213
20130211	15:24	71%	Checked - turned to p221
20130213	00:17	64%	Opened book from VelvetElvis - p221
20130213	10:48	64%	Checked - turned to p232
20130213	15:38	64%	Checked - turned to p243
20130213	16:25	64%	Paged through library looking for book
20130213	16:26	62%	Started reading 30 page story
20130213	18:08	62%	After reading continuosly on train. 30pages + find another story and 25 pages of 30 page short story.
20130214	00:16	61%	After sleeping with no selected book. Then finished short story
20130214	00:30	59%	Opened Baldacci book, turned to page 18
20130214	09:01	59%	Checked - turned to p28
20130214	18:28	59%	Checked. Searched for book to read. Read for 1 hour 20 minutes
20130215	01:07	52%	Read for 10 minutes. Opened Baldacci.
20130215	09:02	52%	Checked - turned to p28
20130215	15:38	51%	Checked. Looked at book list
20130216	00:06	47%	Checked. Finished last three pages of book. Looked through book list.
20130216	09:15	47%	Read 10 pages
I haven't account for all the time. But, at no time on sleep did the battery level drop more than 2%. I think I read more than I usually do in that time. I have my daily commute home and read about 1:20 then. Plus whatever at home. There was a four hour session on the 11th or the 12th, and two hours on another. That means I read at least 15 hours during that time. And for at least a quarter of this, the light was on.

About the only thing is the length of time for the sleeping. The longest was about 10 hours. There might be something happening with longer times. Maybe the device wakes and does something after 12 or 24 hours.

It doesn't help the people that are having battery life issues, but, I am happy with this. It looks like two weeks without a charge would be easy and maybe even a month. But, I don't think that would happen as the only reason I woudn't connect and charge is if I was reading a lot more than usual. And that is running the battery down.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #60
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Yep me too. My replacement went from 64% to 0 in 2.5 days. But, this is out of the box, so no calibration done yet. However, I do remember when I first got my Touch 15 months ago, out of the box, it lasted me at least a week...

And indeed, we should be looking for similar configurations. I really cannot image you'd get three bad batteries in a row :S
I would hope not either.

Quote:
We know margins messed up remembering where you stopped reading... but could it suck the battery dry? I could imagine something to go wrong with having Reading life and notifications on though... I never get any awards (anymore) though. Hmm.

I'm also interested to see everybody else's settings, good and bad battery devices alike.
My settings echo yours except for these:
- Sleepcover listening: NO (was Yes. Thanks for reminding me :-)
- Page refresh: 6 (factory setting)
- Reading Life: OFF
- Reading Life notifications: OFF
- Wifi: OFF and never configured

Use Calibre exclusively for library management.

Maybe turning off the Reading Life settings and sleepcover listening will help. But I'm probably being overly optimistic.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote