Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #16
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Glad to spend more time.

I've already created a test library and have tried a couple of things. Calibre help info indicates that the plugboard works "when saving to disk or sending to device".

I tried saving to disk (my desktop) and the author changed from "calibre" to today's date. However, downloading to my Nook did not change the author at all.

If any files from within the EPUB container saved to the desktop would be of any help, let me know.

G ... the ball is in your court!
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #17
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's the "content.opf" file from the EPUB saved to my desktop with today's date as author:
Attached Files
File Type: opf content.opf (2.2 KB, 395 views)
Old 09-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #18
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Create a plugboard for epub that modifies save to disk with all the same settings as described earlier. In the content.opf file, you're looking to see that <dc:creator> was set to the adjusted value. Note that this will only affect an epub that has a 'Catalog' tag.

Also, note that you need to look at the .OPF file inside the EPUB, not the one that's in the folder. That .OPF is not modified.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 09-13-2012 at 06:45 PM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #19
MartyTX
Dedicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Create a plugboard for epub that modifies save to disk with all the same settings as described earlier. In the content.opf file, you're looking to see that <dc:creator> was set to the adjusted value. Note that this will only affect an epub that has a 'Catalog' tag.

Also, note that you need to look at the .OPF file inside the EPUB, not the one that's in the folder. That .OPF is not modified.

G
I wasn't very clear. I have already created a plugboard that modifies save to disk.

The content.opf file that I posted is from inside the EPUB that was created with the plugboard. (I unzipped the EPUB created with the plugboard).
Old 09-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #20
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I followed the steps I outlined earlier from scratch, and <dc:creator> was properly modified with the Save to disk plugboard template.

The .OPF you posted did change the <dc:title> field to 0-Books, so you have at least half of it working.

G

Edit: Attached is my version of content.opf after Save to disk through the plugboard
Attached Files
File Type: opf content.opf (13.1 KB, 396 views)

Last edited by GRiker; 09-13-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #21
MartyTX
Dedicated

For my test library, I had your Catalog program set up to use the title "0-books". It was not renamed by the template/plugboard.

I do have two custom columns set up for title and author.
The custom columns display "The Good Earth" by "Pearl S. Buck" as:
"Good Earth, The" by "Buck, Pearl S."

Could these be running interference with what we're trying to do?
Old 09-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #22
GRiker

Are your custom columns referenced in the metadata plugboard? If not, then I don't see how they would cause a problem.

Also, I didn't see a <dc:subject>Catalog tag in your OPF. Is the Catalog file that you're working with a cleanly generated file (which would have a Catalog tag), or one that you re-converted? Better to start with a clean catalog file.

G
Old 09-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #23
MartyTX
Dedicated

Quote:
Are your custom columns referenced in the metadata plugboard? If not, then I don't see how they would cause a problem.

Also, I didn't see a <dc:subject>Catalog tag in your OPF. Is the Catalog file that you're working with a cleanly generated file (which would have a Catalog tag), or one that you re-converted? Better to start with a clean catalog file.

G
Unfortunately, that was a clean, not re-converted Catalog. The "subject>Catalog tag" was "conspicuously absent" in my OPF.
Your OPF compared to mine showed several differences.

I'm guessing that my custom columns "#author_ln" and "#title_ln" must be causing some problem.

Will be out of town for a 3-day weekend. Will remove the custom columns next week and see if that fixes things. More next week ...
Old 09-14-2012, 12:43 AM   #24
MartyTX
Dedicated

G,

Last post until next week ... we hit the road in the morning ...

Opened a Catalog in calibre's E-book viewer and clicked the metadata button within the viewer. Nothing shows up under Tags. However, book details window shows "Catalog" tag. Stumped!!

Have a good weekend ...

Marty
Old 09-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #25
GRiker

Here's a simpler way to test the template before using it in a plugboard.

Create the template function to return a substitute title for Catalogs:
  1. Open Preferences|Advanced|Template Functions
  2. In the Function field, type change_title_if_catalog
  3. Set Arg count to -1
  4. Copy and paste the following code into the Program Code field:
    Code:
    def evaluate(self, formatter, kwargs, mi, locals):
        for tag in kwargs.get('tags'):
            if tag == "Catalog":
                return "0-calibre"
        return mi.get('title')
    You can change 0-calibre to whatever title you'd prefer.
  5. Click Create
  6. Click Apply to close the Template Functions dialog
Create a custom column to display the results of the template:
  1. Open Preferences|Interface|Add your own columns
  2. Click Add custom column
  3. Lookup name: template_test
  4. Column heading: Template test
  5. Column type: Column built from other columns
  6. Template: program: change_title_if_catalog()
  7. Click OK, Apply, then exit and restart calibre
  8. Drag the Template test column next to the Tags column so you can see the results

In the Template test column, you should see either the Title of the book, or 0-calibre if the book has a 'Catalog' tag.

Once you have that working, you can create a plugboard for saving to disk or sending to a specific device.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 09-15-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #26
MartyTX
Dedicated

Where things stand ...

Quote:
I followed the steps I outlined earlier from scratch, and <dc:creator> was properly modified with the Save to disk plugboard template.
G

Edit: Attached is my version of content.opf after Save to disk through the plugboard
Hello G,

Back in town after a relaxing weekend spoiling the Grandkids ...

Here's a recap of where things stand:

Currently, the Catalog is generated with the name "0-Books - calibre.epub". I want to change this to "0-Books - 0-Marty.epub".
(I changed the author name I first mentioned to avoid any confusion between "calibre" and "0-calibre".)

Created the template "change_author_if_catalog" and created the custom column "Authors Test".
The requested author name (0-Marty) is correctly displayed in the custom column. The original "authors" column is not changed.
So, with the template working correctly, I then created the plugboard for save-to-disk.

Saving books to disk has the option: "Update metadata in saved copies". I selected this option.
The save-to-disk template I used: {author_sort}/{title} - {authors} is the same format I use when I send books to the Nook.

When the catalog is saved-to-disk:
- in the epub, the "content.opf" is updated to: <dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="calibre">0-Marty</dc:creator>
- the saved-to-disk catalog is still actually named "0-Books - calibre.epub".

However, if the saved-to-disk epub is then added back into calibre, it gets the name I want: "0-Books - 0-Marty.epub".

Apparently the plugboard updates the "content.opf" in an epub but does not actually rename the epub itself before save-to-disk. Is this correct behavior?

You said: "I followed the steps I outlined earlier from scratch, and <dc:creator> was properly modified with the Save to disk plugboard template."
Question: Was the epub that was saved-to-disk actually renamed, or was only the content.opf changed?

The calibre manual states:
Plugboards affect the metadata written into the book when it is saved to disk or written to the device.
Plugboards do not affect the metadata used by save to disk and send to device to create the file names.
Instead, file names are constructed using the templates entered on the appropriate preferences window.

Anything else I should try?

Thanks,
Marty
Old 09-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #27
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
The calibre manual states:
Plugboards affect the metadata written into the book when it is saved to disk or written to the device.
Plugboards do not affect the metadata used by save to disk and send to device to create the file names.
Instead, file names are constructed using the templates entered on the appropriate preferences window.

Anything else I should try?
If you want to change the file name saved to your device, go to Preferences|Import/Export|Sending Books to Devices. To change the file name saved to disk, go to Preferences|Import/Export|Saving Books to Disk.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 09-19-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #28
rolandt99
rolandt99 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Although this topic might be "old" news now. Here is a possible reason why the plugboard is not changing the author/title going to the Nook. At least for my Nook(s) calibre recognizes them as Nook-Color NOT Nook; even though they are all the Nook Simple Touch Glowlight. So just to cover all bases, I always create two plugboards with the exact same code - one for nook and one for nook-color.
rolandt99 is offline   Reply With Quote