Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #16
chef
Enthusiast
chef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Is this really an eInk display on the cover of the magazine, or some other technology that is being made by EInk Corp? The article mentions... rudimentary technology... in two years I hope it looks like cell phones from 1982... already being used in supermarkets for displays. That doesn't really sound like eInk. Current eInk displays are expensive. I can't see how the economics would work putting them on magazines. I assume it's some other display technology that just happens to be made by EInk Corp?
Yes, its really an E Ink display on the cover. Did you see the prototype on the desk in the picture?

In this case "rudimentary technology" means it's only the beginning. The editor hopes this is only the beginning of an explosion in the use of E Ink tech.

E Ink displays are probably expensive because they have to be able to handle any kind of book text and some pictures with hi-res. They probably figured out a way to make a simpler display with lower-res, thus it being cheaper.
chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #17
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Mr. Granger knows some will see the cover as a gimmick —
No... you think?

Quote:
— but he says he thinks the technology behind it, which has been used for supermarket displays but never embedded in a magazine, speaks to the possibilities of print.
The only thing that seems to say is that print is due to be replaced.

Quote:
an electronic cover, using admittedly rudimentary technology, that will flash “the 21st Century Begins Now,” when it appears on newsstands in September.
They could have done that with an LCD screen and a watch battery... and maybe have gotten it to the newsstand in, oh, I dunno... January 2001.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #18
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
No... you think?

The only thing that seems to say is that print is due to be replaced.

They could have done that with an LCD screen and a watch battery... and maybe have gotten it to the newsstand in, oh, I dunno... January 2001.
But I don't think the battery would have lasted 90 days with an LCD.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #19
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post
E Ink displays are probably expensive because they have to be able to handle any kind of book text and some pictures with hi-res. They probably figured out a way to make a simpler display with lower-res, thus it being cheaper.
No, the eInk display is simply the display. Think of it like the monitor on your computer: what it will do depends upon the display controller it is attached to.

The cost of eInk displays is pure semi-conductor electronics.

Semi-conductor manufacturing is a classic capital intensive business. There are huge up front costs to build the factory that makes the devices which must be amortized, and an allocated share of those costs is part of the price of each unit made. The more you make, the wider you can spread the cost, and the cheaper each unit can be. They will get cheaper as more are made, and the overhead can be amortized across a larger base of units.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 07-21-2008 at 01:15 PM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #20
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
IMHO
I wonder if the display can download future issues from the internet or something? It seems to me to be just expensive vanity to have the display, unless they intend to use it somehow to sell future issues.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #21
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
IMHO
I wonder if the display can download future issues from the internet or something? It seems to me to be just expensive vanity to have the display, unless they intend to use it somehow to sell future issues.
Expensive vanity is what Esquire is all about.....
Old 07-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #22
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Expensive vanity is what Esquire is all about.....
I stand corrected! And I want me one of those issues, no matter what the cost. If somebody can figure out the date they hit the newstands, I plan on going to the bookstore at the univ where I work and camping out in the magazine section until they put them on sale.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #23
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I stand corrected! And I want me one of those issues, no matter what the cost. If somebody can figure out the date they hit the newstands, I plan on going to the bookstore at the univ where I work and camping out in the magazine section until they put them on sale.
As best as I can research it, (the B & N clerk didn't know a thing) it will come out around the 10-12 of August. Such newsstand dates in the past that I have been able to research for Esquire are in that date range. Hope this helps...
Old 07-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #24
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
As best as I can research it, (the B & N clerk didn't know a thing) it will come out around the 10-12 of August. Such newsstand dates in the past that I have been able to research for Esquire are in that date range. Hope this helps...
Yes it does, thank you very much. I called the bookstore, and they told me that it depends on when the vendor puts them onto the shelves. I can't trust them to reserve me a copy, so I'll plan on visiting hourly beginning on the 10th. THANKS!
Old 07-21-2008, 01:47 PM   #25
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
DixieGal, they couldn't use it to display future issues, mainly because as this display is designed the battery will run out in 90 days. so it's really more of a gimmick (although a really brilliant gimmick, obviously !!). on the other hand, who knows where it could lead ? it has the advantage of opening people's eyes, giving them a first-hand experience with e-ink, and also potentially paving the way for further uses in the press, once the logistical difficulties are resolved...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:49 PM   #26
DixieGal
Hi There!

Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!
Old 07-21-2008, 01:50 PM   #27
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
DixieGal, they couldn't use it to display future issues, mainly because as this display is designed the battery will run out in 90 days. so it's really more of a gimmick (although a really brilliant gimmick, obviously !!). on the other hand, who knows where it could lead ? it has the advantage of opening people's eyes, giving them a first-hand experience with e-ink, and also potentially paving the way for further uses in the press, once the logistical difficulties are resolved...
Now, Zelda, it can't a brilliant gimmick, because it doesn't have a backlight....
Old 07-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #28
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Now, Zelda, it can't a brilliant gimmick, because it doesn't have a backlight....
now stop it, haven't i mentioned i strained my groaning muscle on the joke thread ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #29
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
But I don't think the battery would have lasted 90 days with an LCD.
With a message that simple, you could power a small LCD screen with a watch battery continuously for months.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #30
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
now stop it, haven't i mentioned i strained my groaning muscle on the joke thread ?
(Singing) If it weren't for bad jokes, I'd have no jokes at all.....

Tags
duck!