Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-25-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
Austin
Austin began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Dirty PDFs and the Kindle

Hey guys.

First time post. I'm a grad student at Southern Methodist University in the English Department. My department was given a grant to determine how useful e-reader technology was in the classroom. I've had time now with a Sony PRS-505 and an Amazon Kindle. I'm almost sold on calling the Kindle the more useful of the two machines, but I've hit a snag.

The .pdf files my professors have assigned--the ones I'm most likely to use an e-reader for--are not clean at all. They're usually the professor's personal book, scanned into a computer with scribbles and all. As such, they don't work well with Amazon's e-mail service. I loved using PDF2LRF to scan docs into my Sony Reader. There doesn't seem to be an equivalent program for Kindle's format. Is anyone working on this? In order to recommend this machine wholeheartedly, I've got to have a user-friendly interface that can make PDFs readable as images, not text.

Thanks!
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
For a classroom environment I would think the Irex Iliad would be the better choice. It isn't merely a Reader, it's more like "active paper" as it allows annotations and note-taking, as well.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Deleted.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
For a classroom environment I would think the Irex Iliad would be the better choice. It isn't merely a Reader, it's more like "active paper" as it allows annotations and note-taking, as well.
And, its larger screen handles paper-sized PDFs better, I understand. If you could start with PDFs that were created for a Kindle's screen size, you'd do better. But that pretty much requires having the original electronic content, and being in charge of the PDF creation.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
I think the illiad is the best for what you are doing, bar none.
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
spirits
Connoisseur
spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
I was tricked into this post.
Thought you were gonna put "dirty PDFs" into the Kindle & create a topic about it.
spirits is offline   Reply With Quote