Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 05-11-2022, 08:45 PM   #1
Gaqs
Enthusiast
Gaqs began at the beginning.

Device: KT4, PW3
Need help with style settings and screen dpi to match my kindle reader style

Hello everyone, I really liked how things looked like when reading on my kindle's default reader, but I like all the features koreader has way more, so I'd like to replicate the kindle style I had as closely as possible. I still want to customize things further from what was possible on the kindle reader, but I'd like to be able to replicate my kindle reader style as closely as possible as a "starting point".

My settings on the kindle's reader are "3" for the font, "narrowest" margins, "middle" spacing and bookerly font. I've added a screenshot of what it looks like in the attachments. I'm trying to eyeball things while going through all the settings and I got pretty close I think, but it's not "there" yet, like the kindle is still a bit more "clear" and more "spread out" I think, I don't know if it's even possible to get closer than this, I've also put a screenshot of where I got with koreader in the attachment.

So if anyone has any ideas of what else I can change to get closer to the kindle look I'm all ears. I'd also like to know if there's some way to see a standardized value like pixels for the settings, because for example, line spacing is a "percentage" and the font is just a number, so I can't really feel by how much I'm changing anything.

I'd also like to ask something, on the "screen DPI" settings, is it better to leave it on Auto DPI or is it better if I change it to 167 DPI since my Kindle's screen is 167ppi? Not sure what the difference between them is, but I noticed that the auto option doesn't say what's the DPI, but the screen ends up smaller than when I set it to 167 DPI. Currently I'm using the "auto" option.

And also, is there any way to "reset" all of the new defaults I've set? I don't mean the "reset document settings to default" option, I mean reset all defaults to the ones that come with koreader when you install it.

Thanks in advance and sorry for how long and maybe confusing this thread got, English isn't my first language.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2022_05_11T19_29_34-0259.png
Views:	184
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	193776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reader_2022-05-11_205835.png
Views:	170
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	193777  
Gaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 12:13 PM   #2
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
The DPI may be a small bug. A device that doesn't have a DPI specified in device definitions will default to 160. (Or alternatively it could have the wrong DPI specified.) But the difference between 160 and 167 shouldn't really matter.
Anyway, what's better is entirely up to you. If you like it smaller, keep it at auto (probably 160), if you like it a bit larger, increase it slightly (such as to 167).

Quote:
And also, is there any way to "reset" all of the new defaults I've set? I don't mean the "reset document settings to default" option, I mean reset all defaults to the ones that come with koreader when you install it.
I don't think so, or at least not without editing or deleting settings.reader.lua. But if you long press on a setting, the same way that you changed the default, most of them should have a "(Set to) default" button.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2022, 06:14 PM   #3
Gaqs
Enthusiast
Gaqs began at the beginning.

Device: KT4, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
The DPI may be a small bug. A device that doesn't have a DPI specified in device definitions will default to 160. (Or alternatively it could have the wrong DPI specified.) But the difference between 160 and 167 shouldn't really matter.
Anyway, what's better is entirely up to you. If you like it smaller, keep it at auto (probably 160), if you like it a bit larger, increase it slightly (such as to 167).

I don't think so, or at least not without editing or deleting settings.reader.lua. But if you long press on a setting, the same way that you changed the default, most of them should have a "(Set to) default" button.
Just tested it and yeah auto is the same as 160 over here, and I think I like it better than 167 since it's smaller, at 167 the top menus with a lot of options go on top of the bottom menu which is annoying.

If I delete the settings.reader.lua file will koreader re-create it with the "factory" settings without issues? I think I might just do that then.
Gaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:02 AM   #4
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Yup, that's right!
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote