Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-20-2019, 12:15 AM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Question Should I get the origami-style case or the simple one-fold-style for my Forma?

When my Forma is travelling with me, it's currently in a felt sleeve big enough for a big fat hardcover book.

I'd like to get a form-fitting case. I think there are two basic choices:
1. The "origami" case, like the original Kobo SleepCover, or a third-party one. These origami cases can be folded so that the Forma can be set on a table hands-free.

2. A plain case that just opens and closes. Like this one from Amazon.

It was when I was in elementary school and middle school that I used a bookstand to keep my dead-tree books on my study table. That's a number of years ago. I say this just to point out that it's been many years since I have done handsfree reading. I've become used to reading books with my hands. I don't know how helpful it will be to have an origami style of a case for handsfree reading.

To those of you Forma users with a handsfree origami case, how do you like it? Do you do a lot of handsfree reading? In what situations do you do handsfree? In which situations do you hold your Forma in your hand(s)?

For those who have gone with Option 2 (i.e., the simple case), how do you like it? Are you happy with it? Do you wish you got a case that lets you do handsfree reading?
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:09 AM   #2
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Cheap third party covers usually aren't worth it. Low quality materials, flimsy construction, misaligned magnets so sleep doesn't work, sometimes just don't fit. I've experienced all of the above with Moko and kwmobile covers. If you go with a third party cover then get one from a premium brand like Gecko.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ratinox, thanks for sharing your experience with particular brands. I can't bear to buy the $60 Kobo original cover, and may consider the Gecko.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #4
RichSz
RichSz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._title_o02_s00

and it's been just fine. Sleeps properly, doesn't smell, fits the device correctly. The magnets could be a bit stronger but I'm coming from a Kindle Voyage whose case was nearly perfect.

Personally I prefer the origami case because there are times you just need a stand and propping up the reader just isn't practical.
RichSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I have the kobo origami case which I only use when traveling, and I've found I use the hands free option fairly often, whether on a train, a plane, or on stops in cafes or such while driving long distances.

The case is easy to put on and off, without torque, contrary to many hard cases I've had for other readers.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2019, 11:09 AM   #6
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I have the kobo origami case which I only use when traveling, and I've found I use the hands free option fairly often, whether on a train, a plane, or on stops in cafes or such while driving long distances.

The case is easy to put on and off, without torque, contrary to many hard cases I've had for other readers.
hi anacreon. Thank you for your response.
1. Why do you not use your origami case when you're not travelling?
2. If it's easy to put on and off, how does the case stay on?
Thank you.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:27 AM   #7
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
For those who have gone with Option 2 (i.e., the simple case), how do you like it? Are you happy with it? Do you wish you got a case that lets you do handsfree reading?
I've always used a simple foldback cover with eReaders because:
a) I really don't ever see myself reading with the book propped up somewhere, I'm always holding it anyway, to turn the pages.
b) foldback covers make it much easier for me to hold the eReader when lying down in bed, as I can trap a finger between the reader and cover and with another behind the cover that gives me a four point grip with thumb and base of hand to hold it securely even with the screen pointing downwards.

I use this cover (for the Aura One): https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MSX7DQJ

Last edited by murraypaul; 08-23-2019 at 05:09 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:40 AM   #8
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
hi anacreon. Thank you for your response.
1. Why do you not use your origami case when you're not travelling?
2. If it's easy to put on and off, how does the case stay on?
Thank you.
1. It is more comfortable to hold without when I read at home. I only need a case when traveling because soft bags or backpacks or airport controls endanger it.
2. It is sort of a soft clip-in and I've never had a problem with it - and I've had the Forma since day one, and am a "frequent traveler".
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #9
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
I personally prefer the one-fold style covers, but I can also attest that the ones sold on Amazon are cheaply made--my first Clara HD one broke within three months of purchase.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote