Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
dhruvbhutani
dhruvbhutani began at the beginning.

Device: dhruvbhutani
KSO Help Needed

Hi ,

Been hanging around the forum a bit but now i finally need some real help so thought of registering and posting

Well i finally purchased my first Kindle. Its not easy to obtain in my country (and costs double the price) so i asked a friend coming from the US to help me out by getting it from Best Buy.

Now the problem is that he wasn't aware of the Kindle With Special Offers and was sold it when he asked for a wifi kindle

Now that its on its way here , there is no chance of getting it replaced and the idea of ads really irks me.

Is there any way of switching the screensavers or using Duokon on it ? Its a 'virgin' kindle as of now. Never been switched on and i'm willing to experiment.

I've heard that before it registers itself , the Kindle acts as a normal version. If true , i'm fine with that as well. Any leads in this regard ? I tend to read a lot of stuff from Project Gutenberg so the Kindle Store is not essential for me.

Thanks ! Any leads will be appreciated !
dhruvbhutani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Sorry, I can't help you as I own Sonys, but what bothers you? The ads are only screensavers. You don't have to look at them. Just close your cover fast and all is well

AFAIK there is no hack yet.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
dhruvbhutani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Sorry, I can't help you as I own Sonys, but what bothers you? The ads are only screensavers. You don't have to look at them. Just close your cover fast and all is well

AFAIK there is no hack yet.
Hmm.. i could do that Btw , the battery drain is only on changing pages i believe ... so theoretically i could just leave it open on the last page i read. Correct ?
Old 05-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvbhutani View Post
Hmm.. i could do that Btw , the battery drain is only on changing pages i believe ... so theoretically i could just leave it open on the last page i read. Correct ?
This is what they say, but whenever I tried this approach I ended up with only one week battery life.

There should be another way. It must be possible to set a shut-off time. When the you turn no page in 10 or 15 minutes it will shut-off. This way you don't have to see the screen saver. You just close your cover and the device turns off later.

Wait a couple of weeks and someone will come up with a hack.

Are you in Bhutan?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
That's almost what I do. When I'm done reading, I close the cover and then slide the power switch off. When I'm ready to read again, I slide the power switch on and then open the cover. If you do it this way, the screensavers are never visible.

In addition to the screensavers, there is one other location for ads. On the bottom of the home page is a small banner ad. I barely notice it when I'm there; which isn't often.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
This is what they say, but whenever I tried this approach I ended up with only one week battery life.

There should be another way. It must be possible to set a shut-off time. When the you turn no page in 10 or 15 minutes it will shut-off. This way you don't have to see the screen saver. You just close your cover and the device turns off later.
Slide the power switch off after you close the cover. When you're ready to read again, slide the power switch on and then open the cover. You'll be at the last page read.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
dhruvbhutani

Quote:
Wait a couple of weeks and someone will come up with a hack.

Are you in Bhutan?
I sure do hope so !

Re Bhutan : Not exactly Beautiful country btw , heading there again this summer for a short vacation.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
No. After a period of inactivity the Kindle will switch itself into the standby mode and display the "screensaver".

If you use a cover and don't manually put the device into the standby mode, or turn it off, there is a distinct chance that you will accidentally change pages when you close the cover.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
dhruvbhutani

Well i guess my best hope is that someone jailbreaks fw 3.2.1 soon enough !
Old 05-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #10
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool the ads are not at all obtrusive

Quote:
Hi ,

Been hanging around the forum a bit but now i finally need some real help so thought of registering and posting

Well i finally purchased my first Kindle. Its not easy to obtain in my country (and costs double the price) so i asked a friend coming from the US to help me out by getting it from Best Buy.

Now the problem is that he wasn't aware of the Kindle With Special Offers and was sold it when he asked for a wifi kindle

Now that its on its way here , there is no chance of getting it replaced and the idea of ads really irks me.

Is there any way of switching the screensavers or using Duokon on it ? Its a 'virgin' kindle as of now. Never been switched on and i'm willing to experiment.

I've heard that before it registers itself , the Kindle acts as a normal version. If true , i'm fine with that as well. Any leads in this regard ? I tend to read a lot of stuff from Project Gutenberg so the Kindle Store is not essential for me.

Thanks ! Any leads will be appreciated !
so far nobody reports being able to successfully jailbreak the kindle 3 with ads. the screensaver hack requires it to be jailbroken first. reports are that duokon has installed and run successfully, and i remember a report indicating that duokon did something about screensavers. sorry that's all i know about that.

but how about some reassurance instead? almost all reports from new owners are that the ads are not at all obtrusive and some offer pretty good deals as well.

hope it all works out.
--
Alan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #11
dhruvbhutani

Well the ads are pointless for me as they are probably not applicable outside the US

No problem , i'll make do with it till *hopefully* there is a hack out.

Btw , is there a way i can stop it from autoupdating yet register my account ? I believe Duokon works on 3.2 but not 3.2.1. So that is one solution i'm banking upon.