Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
blizeH
blizeH began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch & iPad 2
Kobo Touch - Contrast, Page numbers & Responsiveness

Hi,

I've recently got my girlfriend a Kobo Touch, she really likes it for the most part, but has a few issues:

1) The contrast under certain lighting is quite awful, the background is quite grey and muddy and to quote her "like reading on stone" which seemed to be a pretty accurate description.

2) If she's on page 46 of the book, it'll be split into say 5 pages on the Kobo itself... if she then puts it into sleep mode on the 4th page of page 46 (hope that makes sense) and turns it on again, it'll be on the 1st page again - quite confusing!

3) It doesn't seem all that responsive at times. Is she doing something wrong, or is it just something you get used to?

Thanks
blizeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Congrats for the lovely present to your girlfriend!

1) I'm not quite sure there's anything you can do about this. I too find the background slightly too dark sometimes and then use a nice reading lamp that slides into my cover. If the darkness of the background in your girlfriend's case is due to blurring left over pixels from previous pages, you could change the page-refresh settings:

When reading a book, tap the bottom of the screen in the middle. A menu comes up. Tap the spanner in the right hand corner. Tap "Advanced settings" in the menu opens. Just over halfway down the settings, there are the page refresh settings: set them to refresh screen every "so-many" pages, less than the current setting.

Another possibility is to play around with the font settings (the Aa icon next to the spanner). Try different fonts, font sizes, and for some fonts the 'advanced' settings to change font weight and sharpness. This might help the contrast a bit.

2) What you describe only happens if you power off the device. It remembers the (real) book page you're on, not that you're on page 4 of 46 as per your example. But you don't need to power off the device, you can put it to sleep mode (just briefly slide the off switch in stead of holding it). Sleep mode does properly remember you're on the 4th page of 46.

3) Slow response is not something your girlfriend is doing wrong... there are some bugs and sluggishness in the new firmware (2.0.0). Kobo is working on updates and I'm sure things will improve. In the mean time, I've found I did indeed get used to the slower page turns.

Enjoy!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
1) Sounds like something's wrong with your device. Contrast should be roughly the same as with a printed (standard quality paper back) book.

2) Does not happen on mine.

3) Dependent on how many books you have on the device some library operations (like closing a book to get back to the home screen) can take quite some time. Whether you can get used to this depends on your level of tolerance for such things ...
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember also that the images displayed in the library view are now only extracted and saved as needed, so for instance, browsing the library for the first time after loading a bunch of books will be relatively slow; the next time you display the same page in the library listing will be quicker.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
blizeH

Thank you so much for all of your responses, especially Mrs_Often - I showed her your response last night and she was very thankful (and impressed that it wasn't from genuine Kobo support!) although unfortunately she's still having a few issues with it, mostly the responsiveness.

I'm going to look for a case with a light built in, I think that's maybe the best way around the contrast issue, rather than having to keep changing etc (I think part of the problem is she was apprehensive about using something other than a book, and the default font is quite bookish, so she's reluctant to change, if that makes any sense)

I'll hold out for an update too and hope it becomes quicker/more responsive in the next, to be honest I find it to be a bit of a pain myself, but she's quite impatient with it and if it doesn't change within a few seconds she presses it again, which only seems to make matters worse! I think patience and perseverance is key here
Advert
Old 08-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizeH View Post
Thank you so much for all of your responses, especially Mrs_Often - I showed her your response last night and she was very thankful (and impressed that it wasn't from genuine Kobo support!) [...]

I'm going to look for a case with a light built in, I think that's maybe the best way around the contrast issue, rather than having to keep changing etc (I think part of the problem is she was apprehensive about using something other than a book, and the default font is quite bookish, so she's reluctant to change, if that makes any sense)[...]
You're welcome!

Ah yes the bookish font... I understand the reluctance to change. Though I do recommend trying some others; most of them are quite bookish and there might be one that's easier to read (for contrast) that she even prefers (I had the same experience).

I haven't seen any cases with the light actually built in... I have an M-Edge, which has a slot where you slide in a special light (E-luminator). The light has three different intensities, and has a bendy arm attached to a sort of flat paper-clip like flat plastic base that slides into the case slot. Very neat!

M-Edge: http://www.medgestore.com/products/kobo2/index
E-Luminator: http://www.medgestore.com/products/k...natortouch.psp

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 08-08-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
I have seen a case with a built in light at Chapters/Indigo in Canada, not sure how good the light is, but it seemed to be rechargeable at least. Also comes with a double-headed USB so you can charge your Kobo and the light at the same time. Personally I decided against purchasing the case because it was rather big, and seemed a bit flimsy. The quality of the material also seemed to be rather inferior for such a highly-priced case. Granted, the high price was most likely due to the rechargeable light, but still..
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:36 AM   #8
blizeH

Thanks both - we're going to show the Kobo to her granny on the weekend (loves reading but now has poor eyesight, so it's probably great for her) which at least will encourage my girlfriend to check out the different font options available

Will look out for one of those cases too thanks, although you're right it can be expensive to get something all in one that fits together nicely (ie the M-Edge) so I may just buy a cheap clip on light and case for her.

Thanks again