Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Google Purchases Quickoffice for Mobile Editing of Microsoft Office Documents

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=24862

Quote:
Google Purchases Quickoffice for Mobile Editing of Microsoft Office Documents

This will allow Google to offer both Google Docs and Quickoffice for all a mobile user's document editing needs

Google can now add another acquisition to its list of recent purchases -- the search giant just picked up Quickoffice for an undisclosed amount.

Currently, there are no official mobile applications for Microsoft Office. Rather, Quickoffice has been the choice app for editing Office documents, and Google is apparently interested in tapping into this corner of the mobile market.

Google has its own editing app for documents called Google Docs, but this only works with Office files like .doc, .xls and .ppt on a desktop computer. The search company currently doesn't have a mobile editing program for Office documents, hence the recent Quickoffice acquisition.

Quickoffice is a mobile app that allows users to edit Microsoft Office documents on their devices like smartphones and tablets. This will allow Google to offer both Google Docs and Quickoffice for all a mobile Android user's document editing needs.

"We are ushering in a new chapter with Google," said Alan Maserak, co-founder and CEO of Quickoffice. "By combining the magic of Google's intuitive solutions with Quickoffice's powerful products, our shared vision for anytime, anywhere productivity can only grow."

Google seems to be on a spending spree these days, since the search company just acquired Meebo earlier this week for a reported $100 million. The move aims to boost Google+ activity, which is Google's social network. Google launched Google+ in July 2011, and had millions of users join quickly within the first month. While the social network now has 170 million users, their activity is not significant -- especially compared to Facebook's 900 million active users. Meebo, a social networking company with over 100 million users in the U.S., will now help Google out with that problem.
http://blog.quickoffice.com/articles...by-google.html
Quote:
Quickoffice has been acquired by Google

When we embarked on our mission to become the world leader in office productivity, we knew we were taking on a huge challenge. We worked very hard to build Quickoffice as a user friendly, seamless and yet powerful way to view, edit, sync and share documents anywhere, anytime. It’s been a very humbling experience to see this vision embraced by our users.

Now, we are ushering in a new chapter with Google. By combining the magic of Google’s intuitive solutions with Quickoffice’s powerful products, our shared vision for anytime, anywhere productivity can only grow.

The journey has been nothing short of incredible. Our vision has only become bigger, and our commitment stronger. We wish to sincerely thank our users and supporters over the years; you have our eternal gratitude and we invite you all to join us in embracing this next chapter.

Warm regards,

Alan Masarek
Co-founder and CEO
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Smart move from google. MS is slated to release their office suit this October for both iOS and Android so having a Google branded Office app will help combat MS office products.

Quote:
Currently, there are no official mobile applications for Microsoft Office. Rather, Quickoffice has been the choice app for editing Office documents,
Well I wouldn't call QuickOffice(QO) "the choice app" considering Documents To Go has about 50K users reviews and QO only has 5K on the market. (you have to own the app to review it).

One thing I will say is Documents To Go handles word documents better than the other office apps so it's best for reading documents but QO has the best GUI design. So creating/editing small documents is much easier with QO.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Good move, Google. I rather like Quickoffice for impromptu stuff.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:14 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I have the full paid versions of: Docs To Go, OfficeSuite Pro, and Quickoffice Pro; and don't use any of them. I got them free from Amazon when each one took a turn as the free app of the day. I have no use for these apps. The memo app that came on my Galaxy Player satisfies my needs.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I like Quick office well enough, I guess. I've used Docs To Go, back in my Palm days. It was OK too, but QO has come with all my Motorola phones, so I'm most familiar with it most currently. I mostly use the spreadsheet, since any spreadsheet makes for a nice list manager. Phones, and other PDA type devices aren't really all that good at creating text documents.

Google, Motorola, Quick Office, seems like a nice circular reference there. All Google needs to do is buy Verizon! I only hope Google doesn't try to fix them 'too much'
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2012, 01:47 AM   #6
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I have the full paid versions of: Docs To Go, OfficeSuite Pro, and Quickoffice Pro; and don't use any of them. I got them free from Amazon when each one took a turn as the free app of the day. I have no use for these apps. The memo app that came on my Galaxy Player satisfies my needs.
I guess "me too."
I had thought about getting one of the two highly recommended Office suites that do MS stuff, but heck I never needed them.

Samsung does pretty good all by itself.

I am interested though in the official MS Suites that will work directly on Android or iOS. That might be different. I guess that is after Windows 8.

Last edited by SeaKing; 06-08-2012 at 01:49 AM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I use Quick Office Pro for Excel sheets occaisionally.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
I use kingston office.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote