Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #46
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I like shopping with the B&N Shop Icon....is there a way to go to CM7 and still use that? Or should I stay ManualNootered. I'm now using Mantero as my default reader.
What about using the Shop feature in the NOOK Android app?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #47
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
They've responded to your request. Look for it in a future update.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=202
Yes, they did! I wasn't expecting a speedy response. So, I have no reservations in purchasing it now, and I just did!
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #48
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Mantano's resetting the trial did not work for me since I think I reviewed it about 1month ago. So I decided to buy it.

After using Mantano, I had forgotten how bad Moon+ was a rendering the original text. I guess it didn't effect me to much since Moon allows the user to change the layout so much... maybe too much as all the books looked identical to me.

I really like Mantano's UI it's very easy to use and well laid out. Moon is a UI clunky and does get some getting use to. My only grip with Manano's UI is selecting a book always opens the "Add a tag" and selecting multiple Annotations is VERY difficult. This is really more the nooks fault but still annoying.

You are right they have really enhanced the text selection on the app. It is very easy to select text, I did not struggle once to highlight any text, it's even thought the nook has some blind spots. The social posting is better, adding book, chapter and page number is nice--though page number on ebooks makes no sense. I rather like the Kindles location counter better than page numbers.

Moon's still has a better dictionary solution Mantano is still awkward to use. I like how the Kindle and Moon open a a dialog box that does not take over the screen.

Still no image viewer, Moon does not have one, but the preview mode at least lets one zoom in.

Moon's TTS is still much much better than Mantano, Mantano TTS is very basic and near useless. Hm I wonder if their TTS works for Adobe DRM Books?

No ODPS browser there is no way do directly import my books from calibre to Mantano. I'm going to have to download the book from the browser and import. Not a deal breaker but it's a convince I really enjoyed having in Moon+.

Moon has one unique feature I've yet to see other readers implement and that is page scrolling. As much as I hated this features when I started reading with the Moon+ reader it's something I've come to really enjoy. I find scrolling the page up/down is much easier to read than having to move your eyes up/down and swipe to advance to the next page.

As a PDF reader Mantano is horrible, it's better than nothing but does not compare to ezPDF nor RelpiGo.

In the end I don't know which reader I like better. Each one has different features I really like and dislike.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #49
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
After using Mantano, I had forgotten how bad Moon+ was a rendering the original text. I guess it didn't effect me to much since Moon allows the user to change the layout so much... maybe too much as all the books looked identical to me...
Very true!!! The text rendering makes books look like documents. Too bland after awhile; no individual style characteristics. This is enough to keep me away from Moon+ now (given the Mantano alternative).

Your take on scrolling is interesting. I don't find that it's a natural thing to do (for me).

Sounds like you'll be staying with Moon+ for now. At least you can keep track of the updates now that it's installed. Maybe you'll get those features you wish were there.

Last edited by SCION; 08-12-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #50
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: NOOKColor (sdCM7), Kindle 4
Can't purchase Mantano on Android market

All this good news of mantano reader made me eager to give it a second shot. The free trial wouldn't open any books so I figured I would take the plunge and purchase when I noticed something weird: Even though I can see the app and the price when I search for it, I can't purchase it. When I access the market through my laptop browser, it tells me that Mantano (the paid version) is not compatible with my device but the free version is.

I've also noticed that Cool Reader is somehow no longer compatible with my device. Aldiko and Moon+ are still compatible though but now I'm beginning to wonder how many of my currently installed apps will suddenly become incompatible with my device making me unable to install updates.

What gives? Is it something to do with the new android market? I only ask because I don't have this problem when I take out the CM7sd card and run my rooted barnes and nobel NC which still shows the old market.

Is anyone else having this problem?
Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #51
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskarina View Post
All this good news of mantano reader made me eager to give it a second shot. The free trial wouldn't open any books so I figured I would take the plunge and purchase when I noticed something weird: Even though I can see the app and the price when I search for it, I can't purchase it. When I access the market through my laptop browser, it tells me that Mantano (the paid version) is not compatible with my device but the free version is.

I've also noticed that Cool Reader is somehow no longer compatible with my device. Aldiko and Moon+ are still compatible though but now I'm beginning to wonder how many of my currently installed apps will suddenly become incompatible with my device making me unable to install updates.

What gives? Is it something to do with the new android market? I only ask because I don't have this problem when I take out the CM7sd card and run my rooted barnes and nobel NC which still shows the old market.

Yep, I had the same problem. Says it's incompatible with my CM7 device, but compatible with the stock ROM. I said later for it and purchased from Amazon. I don't know what the deal is with Market sometimes. It is a pain in the @ss.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #52
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Yep, I had the same problem. Says it's incompatible with my CM7 device, but compatible with the stock ROM. I said later for it and purchased from Amazon. I don't know what the deal is with Market sometimes. It is a pain in the @ss.
My device presents itself as an HTC Vision. Maybe this has something to do with it. This works for the Hulu and Netflix apps, so I'm not keen on changing it.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #53
SCION
Séduisant

Just checked market.android.com and, like you, many of my installed apps are coming up as not compatible now. Unreal. Going forward I think I'll just get my stuff from Amazon.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #54
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Sounds like you'll be staying with Moon+ for now. At least you can keep track of the updates now that it's installed. Maybe you'll get those features you wish were there.
I don't know, I sure wish I had a SCION moment where I just absolutely liked one over the other. Right now I think their both good choices for different reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskarina View Post

I had the same problem a few days ago with Monanto. My phone could purchase the app but my nook could not. What I ended up doing was buying the app on my phone. Backing up the app with "ES Explorer" pushing up the app to dropbox. Then download the app to the nook and install it.
After that the app worked fine.

Quote:
Just checked market.android.com and, like you, many of my installed apps are coming up as not compatible now. Unreal. Going forward I think I'll just get my stuff from Amazon.
Careful now. The Google Market prevents you from purchasing an incompatible app up front so you don't buy an app that does not work on your device.

Amazon however allows you to buy the app, but will not allow you to download the incompatible app. They do this so you can take advantage of promos like the free app of the day.

Pick your poison.... just don't be so haste.

=X=
Old 08-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #55
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Scion and =X=

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. I did some googling and ran across this thread from the CM forum:

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/2...e-market-apps/

It appears that the issue is common and related to the new and updated android market. I now have to figure out what's the best way to proceed.

It seems the options are:
1) Amazon market
2) Uninstall the updated android market
3) Use appbrain to search for desired apps
4) Download to my phone and sideload to nook.

Oy vey. Why can't life be simple?
Old 08-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #56
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Careful now. The Google Market prevents you from purchasing an incompatible app up front so you don't buy an app that does not work on your device...
But we know that the incompatible device stuff is a joke many times. Tweak the build.prop file and all of a sudden the device is compatible. Today is a perfect case in point. Installed apps coming up as incompatible now.

I hear you about being cautious. Particularly for folks running older versions of Android or if an app is clearly identified as being device-compatible specific (Netflix as an example).

Last edited by SCION; 08-12-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #57
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
But we know that the incompatible device stuff is a joke many times. Tweak the build.prop file and all of a sudden the device is compatible. Today is a perfect case in point. Installed apps coming up as incompatible now.

I hear you about being cautious. Particularly for folks running older versions of Android or if an app is clearly identified as being device-compatible specific (Netflix as an example).
I really wasn't thinking of you on my last post, I know you smart and know what you're doing. More for you're following because I know you have a lot.

=X=
Old 08-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #58
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
I really wasn't thinking of you on my last post, I know you smart and know what you're doing. More for you're following because I know you have a lot.

=X=
Responsible posting. I like.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #59
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Solved issue. Renamed marketupdater.apk (to prevent Market from updating to new version) and uninstalled the latest Market update using Titanium Backup (rolled back to previous Market). I prefer the look of the old Market anyway. The new thing is hideous.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #60
Eskarina
Zealot

Quote:
Solved issue. Renamed marketupdater.apk (to prevent Market from updating to new version) and uninstalled the latest Market update using Titanium Backup (rolled back to previous Market). I prefer the look of the old Market anyway. The new thing is hideous.
Thanks for this Scion. I'm gonna bookmark it and try it out.