Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-05-2007, 12:33 AM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
How karma at MobileRead works

This has come up several times, so I figure maybe it's worth posting in its own thread, and I think I'll stick it as well, so that folks don't have to remember exactly where to find it.

I'm pasting this from another thread, so if it looks eerily familiar to anyone, that's why.

Once again, thanks to Alexander Turcic for explaining the whole thing to me in the first place (now there's a guy who deserves karma!).

MobileRead's Karma system

Each person seems to start out with 1 point of influence (after they've posted at least once), then it follows a formula. Here's the formula that I worked out from what Alexander told me, it seems to hold true from what I've seen:

(# of days registered/30) + (# of posts/40) + (Giver's present karma/200)

and the result will be rounded down to the nearest integer

Remember, these are all based on the karma giver's current stats.

So, for example if a person who had been registered 300 days, had posted 2400 items, and had a present karma of 400 were to give someone else karma:

(300/30) + (2400/40) + (400/200)

Or:

10 + 60 + 2 = 72

So If this theoretical person were to tap someone who had, say 28 karma points already, the tapee's karma would increase to 100 points. And yes, I picked nice, tidy numbers to make it easy on myself -- I'm used to the computer doing my arithmetic for me (and most of my spelling, too, for that matter).

The biggest single factor is how much you post, the more you post the faster your givable karma goes up.

Conversely, the only way for your own karma to rise is for someone else to tap you.

There are also some limitations to how much tapping you can do. I believe the deal is that you can't re-tap a given person until you've tapped two others, and you can only tap 10 people in a given day.

So remember, if you appreciate something that someone else has done, nothing says "thank you" like a karma boost.

Disclaimer: this is in no way an attempt
.....to get my own karma boosted -- I'd
.....much rather get karma for stuff
.....that's more worthwhile than this.
.....Or at least more effort!

Addition: Yvanleterrible reports that the blocks in your geekiness indicator (which relate to number of posts in some not presently fully understood fashion) turn blue when you reach 400 posts.

One other note: you can see the entries of who gave you karma for which post and what their comment was from the bottom of your user control panel (toward the upper left corner of the screen, for those who might not have noticed it yet).

edit : DixieGal has contributed this helpful visual aid to show where to find out who gave you karma. thanks DixieGal !

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 05-19-2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: adding DixieGal's visual aid
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:26 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Thanks for the in-depth explanation, Nat. I should have explained it a long time ago, but I couldn't put it in words.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Nice post, I always wondered how the system worked exactly !

Despite the disclaimer, you deserve karma for this :-)
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:20 PM   #4
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I wondered what it meant but never cared enough to check. Thanks for the info.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:03 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien
Despite the disclaimer, you deserve karma for this :-)
That's the problem with bringing up the topic, it usually means the bringer upper gets karma, when, speaking for myself, I'd rather see other folks who deserve it get the props.

Not to imply that I don't appreciate that others like the things I post, it's just that that isn't why I comment on it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:14 AM   #6
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Don't forget to hover your mouse over the karma bars to get a little quote on what the system thinks of that person based on their rating. Fun stuff!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
Wizard-mag
Enthusiast
Wizard-mag began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel
Don't forget to hover your mouse over the karma bars to get a little quote on what the system thinks of that person based on their rating. Fun stuff!
According to vBulletin documentation, those can even be modified.
Wizard-mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:44 PM   #8
Malerne133
Malerne133 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR-500
Karma--like Fortune Cookie

Excuse me--just downoaded the Charlie Chan Omnibus. Now sound like number three son.
Malerne133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:24 AM   #9
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
So are the user titles somewhichway connected to this? If they're not actually user-modified?

I'm kinda wondering how I became a zealot...
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:26 AM   #10
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo View Post
So are the user titles somewhichway connected to this? If they're not actually user-modified?

I'm kinda wondering how I became a zealot...
I think that title is based upon the number of posts you've made. Probably something like 100-250 is a zealot, then you become an addict like me!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:36 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are "default" titles based on your number of posts, but you can edit your title in your Profile if you wish.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:25 AM   #12
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
This is no doubt another of my dumb posts but anyway. How do you give people Karma? I see how the numbers add and so on but how do you actually do it if you know what I mean?
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:13 AM   #13
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Click the little "karma" button under the username next to the post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t.png
Views:	1292
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	6749  
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:17 AM   #14
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Thanks, I knew it was a dumb question
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #15
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
@ Natch:

Thanks again for a much-appreciated explanation. If any of us have a learned colleague, it is you.

This may be off topic, but can someone explain the logging in/logging out mechanism? Sometimes I wander from the keyboard, or the MobileRead tab, and must log in multiple times.

Any ideas?
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
focking, lefty