Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #16
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Yes, it is absolutely worth it. I got my money's worth within the first few weeks. I actually keep track of all my borrowed books and how much they would have cost me otherwise - it's amazing.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #17
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
That's great! I got mine for free because hubby is Prior Military. There are a few other libraries that do similar yearly memberships to out of state. You can search for threads for more places.
Each branch of the military has an Overdrive account. This the army's:
http://army.lib.overdrive.com/E67B70...en/Default.htm
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:19 AM   #18
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
That's great! I got mine for free because hubby is Prior Military. There are a few other libraries that do similar yearly memberships to out of state. You can search for threads for more places.
Thanks, I will look into that.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #19
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Amazon offers 1.7 million eBooks to Prime members for borrowing. About 55,000 eBooks are offered to everyone at zero cost with an invoice generated.

The zero cost ebooks generate an invoice at "purchase" and are made at the Amazon site. The borrowed ebooks are done at the device level.

Plus, all eBooks I've purchased can be LOANED to friends and family for 2 weeks during which time the owner cannot access them. At the end of the 2 week period they are returned to the owner.

If you are into fiction, you will never really have to purchase another ebook if you have the Prime Membership. That is NOT true for non-fiction where my experience has been one must purchase every eBook.

I doubt if any public library on the planet can match the Amazon collection which includes almost every book published everywhere. If its in the Library of Congress no matter when it was published, you can probably get it at Amazon. All of the recent ones must be purchased for a price less than $ 20.00 and most for less that $ 12.00.

ALL books published prior to 1924 are FREE at Amazon.

Public libraries require the return of the book in a period from 2 weeks to one month. Borrowing an eBook at Amazon has no defined return period. One can keep it for months and years if required. However, one can take out only one at a time.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-07-2012 at 06:25 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #20
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sirmaru, reading preferences differ, even if one reads fiction. Some people read specific things, others whatever is free. Amazon's lending library is certainly not interesting to everybody.
I can find most books on my wishlist in a library for elending, while not one of the books on my wishlist is in the amazon program.

Last edited by xendula; 12-07-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #21
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Additional eBook deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Sirmaru, reading preferences differ, even if one reads fiction. Some people read specific things, others whatever is free. Amazon's lending library is certainly not interesting to everybody.
I can find most books on my wishlist in a library for elending, while not one of the books on my wishlist is in the amazon program.
You can even subscribe to an Amazon Kindle eBook newsletter here which will tell you additional daily eBook deals only good for the one day:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/gss/detail/9791850

I go one step further by keeping all my eBook future purchases in an Excel Spreadsheet sorted by Pages per Dollar. I always buy the most pages per dollar when I do buy an eBook. I have 142 eBooks in that spreadsheet now.

Since all 142 eBooks are interesting to me, I like to get the most pages for the money I spend.

If the Amazon newsletter shows one eBook on my spreadsheet, I'd buy or borrow it that day to take advantage of the deal.

If books are published and Amazon does not carry them, I never would buy them at any price. Its the same with other goods. If they are not on Amazon Prime, I wouldn't even buy them from the Amazon Marketplace.

Finally, don't forget the free, streaming movies from Amazon. There are large numbers of them. I watch one every night. They are just as good as the paid, Netflix movies.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-07-2012 at 09:15 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #22
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
I go one step further by keeping all my eBook future purchases in an Excel Spreadsheet sorted by Pages per Dollar. I always buy the most pages per dollar when I do buy an eBook. I have 142 eBooks in that spreadsheet now.

Since all 142 eBooks are interesting to me, I like to get the most pages for the money I spend.
That's certainly a unique way to make a purchase decision
Old 12-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #23
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Amazon offers 1.7 million eBooks to Prime members for borrowing. About 55,000 eBooks are offered to everyone at zero cost with an invoice generated.

The zero cost ebooks generate an invoice at "purchase" and are made at the Amazon site. The borrowed ebooks are done at the device level.

ALL books published prior to 1924 are FREE at Amazon.

Public libraries require the return of the book in a period from 2 weeks to one month. Borrowing an eBook at Amazon has no defined return period. One can keep it for months and years if required. However, one can take out only one at a time.
I thought marketing spam was banned here!

the only pertinent fact in the above is your estimate of 55k books available on zero cost, but only for kindle hardware owners who also subscribe to prime ( kindle for pc is excluded) and limited to one book at a time { actually is is also limited to 1 per month but you omit that }. AFAIK , the pay to rent option is USA only.

my local state library has a much smaller collection but it is free to join, the annual fee is zero, the lending fee is zero, & there are no overdue fines ever because books are recalled automatically. I can read on PC if I so wish.

I did a random check on amazon Uk for fiction authors that I like to see how many of their kindle books were "prime eligible" and thus available for free loa., The answer was none. IMHO its an overhyped, overpriced gimmick, not a real alternative to a proper lending library

all books published prior to 1924 are free everywhere, not just at amazon
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:48 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
all books published prior to 1924 are free everywhere, not just at amazon
No, that's not entirely true.

Although anything published prior to 1923 is in the US public domain, that doesn't automatically mean that it will be free. There's no prohibition on charging for public domain works.

It certainly doesn't apply "everywhere". Many books which are in the US public domain are NOT in the public domain elsewhere. An example is Agatha Christie's first works; "The Mysterious Affair at Styles", for example, is in the US public domain, but not in most other countries.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #25
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I thought marketing spam was banned here!

the only pertinent fact in the above is your estimate of 55k books available on zero cost, but only for kindle hardware owners who also subscribe to prime ( kindle for pc is excluded)
That is not true. The books that are available at the $0.00 purchase price, are free for anybody independent from prime membership. It is correct that you have to have a Kindle linked to your account to be able to purchase any kindle books - but that kindle can be an app or physical kindle including kindle for pc.

The Kindle Owners Lending Library is merely a benefit of a prime member ship. That one is geographically limited (but not only to the us anymore) and available only on certain (hardware) kindles. Heavy limitations on book lending is a sign to me that the KOLL is not the main reason for prime to have. The expedited and free shipping and unlimited streaming of many movie / tv shows is already worth the fee. If all you do through Amazon is e-ink-Kindle and nothing else, don't waste your money on prime.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #26
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That is not true. The books that are available at the $0.00 purchase price, are free for anybody independent from prime membership. It is correct that you have to have a Kindle linked to your account to be able to purchase any kindle books - but that kindle can be an app or physical kindle including kindle for pc.
You can just use the built in cloud reader now. No Kindles needed just a web browser.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #27
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
You can just use the built in cloud reader now. No Kindles needed just a web browser.
The cloud reader works for lending or just for purchased books?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #28
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
The cloud reader works for lending or just for purchased books?
Not the Lending Library but I think it works on Lending a book to someone. Lending Library is limited to Kindle devices only.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote