Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
BobK99
BobK99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
MSWord avoider

I am Bob Knowles. I was nominated for The Macmillan Education Award for Innovative Writing (scroll down to the bottom - I'm the first of the last bunch of four). But the nomination was as far as it went, so I'm trying to self-publish via KDP.

After a bit of tweaking (flattening it into one file), KDP can turn it into an EPUB file. But the KDP docs talk only in terms of the latest version of Word (for producing the TOC etc). Now I'm not God's gift to HTML coding, but I'm blowed if I'll learn to use the latest version of Word just so that I can export it to the right flavour of HTML, when I've already got perfectly good HTML sources.

I use Sigil. I'll be posting soon in another forum about a particular problem I'm having.

b

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-08-2012 at 11:02 AM.
BobK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Welcome to the boards
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Bob and welcome to MobileRead.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:11 AM   #5
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Hello Bob. That's quite an achievement to receive an award. Welcome!
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
nightdreamer
nightdreamer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi, I haven't even introduced myself yet, but "MSWord avoider" caught my attention. I HATE Word. I'm a Lotus Word Pro guy, but I still took a while to figure out how to get from LWP format to a solid MOBI without hundreds or thousands of goof. My current method: LWP->HTML->Calibre->EPUB->Sigil (Chapter headings always come out wrong)->Calibre->MOBI. But I have the advantage of being an HTML geek. Hope things work out for you.
nightdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Hello nightdreamer, welcome. You have the advantage of knowing HTML, which is very helpful. You can even skip the tools and just write the code directly.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #8
BobK99
BobK99 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
Hello Bob. That's quite an achievement to receive an award. Welcome!
Well I didn't actually receive the award, but I was on a shortlist of four. So I got free drinks and canapés, and was live-streamed on the red carpet (more of a rug really).

And thanks to you all (that's "you" | "all", I not "y'all" - I'm British (to a fault, some would say!)

b

Last edited by BobK99; 10-12-2012 at 06:16 AM.
BobK99 is offline   Reply With Quote