Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
AlexK
AlexK began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-50
Reader stuck on USB screen

I had a weird problem with my PRS-505 and I wanted to share. It seemed like it wouldn't charge via USB. I tried a variety of USB chargers, and it would charge enough to come on and then very quickly shut down. I think this is tied to the "calibration" problem. Eventually, it got completely stuck on the "USB connected" screen. I couldn't rest it, or get it to do anything. I'm assuming it was "stuck" at this screen because it had no power at all. It is really weird to me to have a device appear to be on when it has no power.

Anyhow, I read online that it uses the same charger as the PSP. Lucklily, I have one of those laying around so I got it out and started charging it up. The red light came on, but still I couldn't reset it.

Just in order to do something, I hooked up a USB cable to my PC while the external charger was plugged in. The reader immediately reset, booted, and was recognized by the PC. I unplugged the USB cable and got back to a regular reader screen. I'm going to let it charge until the light goes out.

It seems that the idea that the PRS-505 can always charge via USB if it is dead is not completely true.
AlexK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
phookoo
phookoo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500
Hey, thanks!

I thought my 500 was bricked till I tried charging it from dead with my PSP charger, and now all is alive again!
phookoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
Yeah, if the battery is too far drained, it won't charge via USB. Plugging it into the wall either with the included (with the 500) adapter, or using the PSP one and letting it charge for a while usually will fix the issue, as you discovered.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
micomicon
Enthusiast
micomicon doesn't littermicomicon doesn't littermicomicon doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg View Post
Yeah, if the battery is too far drained, it won't charge via USB.
I thought this was only true of the PRS-500. AFAIK, the 505 doesn't even include an AC adaptor -- only USB.
micomicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:49 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The 505 will charge up from the fully depleted battery over USB, but it takes much longer than with a power adapter (AFAIR the support FAQ mentioned 14 hours).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:47 AM   #6
AlexK
AlexK began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-50
In my case, the reader did get hung in a state where it wouldn't charge from USB, even though it was a 505. It looked like it was charging (red charging light), but it would never actually get a charge. Charging it from the PSP charger fixed everything right up.
AlexK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:47 PM   #7
ioki
ioki began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500
Thank you so much!

I thought it was dead because I had tried everything and got no response from it. I'll have to get an adapter so I can charge it from the mains (I'm in Australia). *fingers crossed*
ioki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
dliedke
dliedke began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks!

Thanks a lot! I opened my 505 reader after a long time with no use and it was locked in the shutdown screen. I tried everything and I had no luck. The only thing that worked was to plugin the psp charger and connect a usb cable to the computer. Great tip!
dliedke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
This thread makes another good argument for my idea of placing a bold stickie atop each Sony Reader forum, saying:

ALWAYS USE A PSP CHARGER FOR YOUR READER! DON'T EVEN BOTHER TRYING TO CHARGE VIA USB!

DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've charged my 505 from the USB port of my computer. But, it's never been completely dead when doing so.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote