Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 11-14-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Removing and inserting SD cards

Are you supposed to turn it off first before removing a card? Then turn it back on after inserting a new one.

One reason I ask, is that I have founf that if I remove a card, put the card in my computer and add some files, then put the card back in the PP, it doesn't see the new files. If I take it out again and put it back straight away, it seems to find them.

The other reason is that under most linux systems, you need to u(n)mount a removeable device before taking it out, otherwise you could cause filesystem corruption (because it might be trying to write something back to the card - like current page number, or recently read file lists etc).
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Are you supposed to turn it off first before removing a card? Then turn it back on after inserting a new one.

One reason I ask, is that I have founf that if I remove a card, put the card in my computer and add some files, then put the card back in the PP, it doesn't see the new files. If I take it out again and put it back straight away, it seems to find them.

The other reason is that under most linux systems, you need to u(n)mount a removeable device before taking it out, otherwise you could cause filesystem corruption (because it might be trying to write something back to the card - like current page number, or recently read file lists etc).
I don't know about Linux, but it is always a good idea to turn off the unit before removing the card. If the unit is reading or just linked to the card when you remove it you could end up with corrupt files.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2009, 02:44 AM   #3
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
I don't know about Linux, but it is always a good idea to turn off the unit before removing the card. If the unit is reading or just linked to the card when you remove it you could end up with corrupt files.
Well, (shock horror) I actually checked the manual, and they do say you need to turn the device off before removing/inserting cards. The only thing they warn of, is to not remove a card whilst transferring data.

If they intend for the card to be able to be removed/inserted while the device is operating normally, then they have a bug, as it does NOT always reread the card when it is reinserted. Hence my new files/folders were not visible. It has happened 2 or 3 times this afternoon while adding stuff to my card using my PCs card reader, then putting it back in the PP.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:09 AM   #4
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Removing and inserting the sd card whilst turned on can lock up the device.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...highlight=card
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:30 AM   #5
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
Maybe it needs to be in the manual then.
Advert
Old 11-14-2009, 03:34 AM   #6
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Frankly, I think the whole manual needs serious updating.

Maybe a pdf of the manual could also constantly be updated as firmware is updated. This could be downloaded integrally with the update. Then the pdf would be on the device and also up to date with all new changes.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

At least exit the current document (to the file list) and wait for the LED to stop flashing. The card will re-scan when inserted. I have been lucky, so far

I also found a USB 1 PCI card at Frys (US$7.50) so I can use the cable without lame-ing other USB 2 devices.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
I never turn mine off removing or inserting cards, Never had a lock up from that.
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
This bug was only when the machine was in keyboard lock mode. When the machine is turned on a card can be added or removed just fine although I wouldn't do it while reading a book. Generally if the keyboard is locked and you insert a card it will unlock the keyboard since it has to change from SD to internal memory. I have never seen it lock up on those conditions but there may have been a bug in a particular firmware.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
This bug was only when the machine was in keyboard lock mode. When the machine is turned on a card can be added or removed just fine although I wouldn't do it while reading a book.

In that case they have a bug, because it does not reliably reread the card. Probably if you put a new card in, it would be OK, but if you take out a card, add some files to the card using your computer, then re-insert the card, it doesn't reliably see the new files.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #11
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Not to at all argue but...

Quote:
In that case they have a bug, because it does not reliably reread the card. Probably if you put a new card in, it would be OK, but if you take out a card, add some files to the card using your computer, then re-insert the card, it doesn't reliably see the new files.
Dear Jusmee:

I would never dream or arguing, so the tone of this post is not to argue. I always do all my eBook Loading onto the same old SD card using a card reader/writer. Once done I pay zero attention to whether the device is on or off and just pop in the card which immediately presents the menu for the SD card automatically. I have not had any problem. That is just me.

This does not mean that I do not believe you, as I do. I am not technical enough to try to solve the problem. Can you email to www.support@astak.com or just call: 1-866-368-8788 (toll free)! If need be, I will have the factory look into it!

I DID once have another SD card that was giving me fits like this. I would load on music and the damned thing would show on the card but not on the Pocket PRO. I changed cards and that was the end of the problem. It may be your card is just not "agreeing" with the slot.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #12
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agree that the manaul is not perfect at all.

Dear All:

As I have said many times before, the existing (lousy) system is that we get the manual in very rough English 4 months before we get release. I dislike this and am trying to change it. I do the "rewrite" into more understandable English myself based on their really rough copy. This is before I am at all familiar with the device. ALL I get to do is translate what they say to some semblance of "understandable".

We use the FAQ sheet on our website to make up for the rough manual. That FAQ sheet is due now for a review as well.

I hear you and I know the problem and we are trying to improve the manual and the FAQ sheet. I will meet with both factories at CES and will make it clear we have got to improve!
Old 11-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #13
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Jusmee:

I would never dream or arguing, so the tone of this post is not to argue. I always do all my eBook Loading onto the same old SD card using a card reader/writer. Once done I pay zero attention to whether the device is on or off and just pop in the card which immediately presents the menu for the SD card automatically. I have not had any problem. That is just me.!.
Good to know that Astak supports removal and insertion of SD cards at any time.

Quote:
This does not mean that I do not believe you, as I do. I am not technical enough to try to solve the problem. Can you email to www.support@astak.com or just call: 1-866-368-8788 (toll free)! If need be, I will have the factory look into it!.
Not necessary. I have a workaround, as I explained. I just wanted to make people, especially Astak, aware of it so it can go on the list of things that need fixing in a future firmware release. If you don't already have a process to capture these things from posts in forums like this, then you are missing out on valuable information that could help improve your product.

Quote:
I DID once have another SD card that was giving me fits like this. I would load on music and the damned thing would show on the card but not on the Pocket PRO. I changed cards and that was the end of the problem. It may be your card is just not "agreeing" with the slot.

The card in question is the one YOU sent me with my PP with the sample free book library on it. It seems like a quality card (Kingston brand), and the device reads it properly the second time. Smells like a software bug to me.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:44 PM   #14
Robertb

We will repair it if it is not right.

Quote:
Good to know that Astak supports removal and insertion of SD cards at any time.

Not necessary. I have a workaround, as I explained. I just wanted to make people, especially Astak, aware of it so it can go on the list of things that need fixing in a future firmware release. If you don't already have a process to capture these things from posts in forums like this, then you are missing out on valuable information that could help improve your product.

The card in question is the one YOU sent me with my PP with the sample free book library on it. It seems like a quality card (Kingston brand), and the device reads it properly the second time. Smells like a software bug to me.
Dear Justme:

IF the second card needed two times to read properly (if I read you right) then we should indeed take a look at it. We can handle everything if you just contact us at: 1-866-368-8788.

I am trying to take care of this fully. IF it is a bug we want to alert the factory. If it is a slot problem... we will take care of that too.

I already have a process and have copied and sent numerous posts to the factory with their full attention. The TEAM card we use is higher quality than any on the market. We sell our cards to GPS companies all over the world for their mapping data BECAUSE we have the specific testing software for every card.

Please call and let us get this taken care of!!
Old 11-16-2009, 10:04 PM   #15
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Please call and let us get this taken care of!!
Due to time differences etc, I emailed that support email you posted earlier.