Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-22-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Talking PRS-600 Pre Order

Hi everyone, I just pre ordered a red PRS-600 today. It appears the clarity is still not as good as the 505, but I enjoy my books on my 700 despite the lack of clarity anyway. I have been complaining about the lack of a dictionary and now it is available as well as the ability to write on it which I have really missed since getting rid of my EBW. It also is a very nice looking unit. I just hope I am not disappointed with the color choice. I have heard it's not a real dark red but more on the pinkish side. Anyway, it should be here on the 30th and they will call when it comes in. I am excited.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I figured Sony would solve the clarity issue...guess not?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 02:46 AM   #3
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I figured Sony would solve the clarity issue...guess not?
I went to see the 600 in my local SonyStyle store and there's no clarity problem. A small glare if you hold it at a certain angle under direct light but that's just the glass plate for the touchscreen. It will never be like the 505 since it has an extra layer for the touch screen. When I got my Kindle 2, the ink was much lighter then the K1 and there was a lot of complaints for Amazon to darken it by firmware update, which was ignored by Amazon and the K2 is doing fine. If I did not own the K1 first, I would not have noticed the K2 was lighter. So, if you don't own the 505, the screen is perfect and if you do have a PRS-505, there's a very slight variance but it's to be expected since it's a touchscreen!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:28 AM   #4
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I went to see the 600 in my local SonyStyle store and there's no clarity problem. A small glare if you hold it at a certain angle under direct light but that's just the glass plate for the touchscreen. It will never be like the 505 since it has an extra layer for the touch screen. When I got my Kindle 2, the ink was much lighter then the K1 and there was a lot of complaints for Amazon to darken it by firmware update, which was ignored by Amazon and the K2 is doing fine. If I did not own the K1 first, I would not have noticed the K2 was lighter. So, if you don't own the 505, the screen is perfect and if you do have a PRS-505, there's a very slight variance but it's to be expected since it's a touchscreen!
and just when I was seriously considering canceling my pre-order and picking up a 505 tomorrow.....finally a good comment on the 600!

I am so confused! I won't have a chance to see one for at least a month or two in Guam so I either go ahead and buy 600 through the internet or go for the older 505!
I so much want the touch capability and dictionary. but on the other hand I am going to be really dissapointed if the screen is not at minimum decent (aka good). I just came back from jogging and all I could think about while running is which to get?? 505 or 600!!

this is driving me mad..

Last edited by lev; 08-23-2009 at 06:59 AM.
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
erictai
erictai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, EZ Reader, PRS-600, SmartQ 7
No struggling needed, just get 505 and 600 and be happy, or get 600 and EZreader.
erictai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lev View Post
I am so confused! I won't have a chance to see one for at least a month or two in Guam so I either go ahead and buy 600 through the internet or go for the older 505!
Personally, from the pics and vids I have seen the 600 is just a bit grayer than the 505... (no I haven't seen them in person). But, for the added features of touch, dictionary and speed I would say get the 600.

If your motivation is to save money, get a used 505... I am sure many people will be looking to sell them so they can upgrade.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'd say go with the 600...I have the 505, but my husband has the 700. The 700 is definitely not as clear as the 505, but certainly is readable in my opinion. And from what I've read the 600 is somewhere in between. I love the touch screen interface on the 700, so I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to the 600 after I've saved up enough pennies!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hey everybody, thanks for the feedback and support. I think I did make the right decision. I will continue the expectation. In the mean time, I hope it was the right color choice.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journier View Post
Hey everybody, thanks for the feedback and support. I think I did make the right decision. I will continue the expectation. In the mean time, I hope it was the right color choice.
I think you will be happy since you already have the 700 and enjoy using it. I wish I had a chance to see the 700 but can't find any here for reference.

I think I will keep my pre-order and hope for the best in terms of clarity and glare (unless I see more negative reviews about the screen) . the dictionary and annotations is such an advancement that I am not easily willing to forgo. Also, i think with annotations there are technically lot of other concepts that can be implemented like a rudimentary organizer or journal etc. This will be my first reader so not sure if there are technical limitations but I would suspect even a basic word document calendar template should be doable. But either way, just having the touch screen experience with dictionary and annotations is plenty.

btw, I ordered a silver one which I find looks just great!

Last edited by lev; 08-23-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #10
lev
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictai View Post
No struggling needed, just get 505 and 600 and be happy, or get 600 and EZreader.
unfortunately can't afford to buy both .
still need money for books plus all my other hobbies (scuba diving, music, traveling etc..)
Old 08-24-2009, 06:48 AM   #11
erictai
erictai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, EZ Reader, PRS-600, SmartQ 7
Videos comparison of PRS-600 and RS-505 from Engadget.com

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/24/v...tisfy-prs-505/
erictai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:08 AM   #12
lev
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictai View Post
Videos comparison of PRS-600 and RS-505 from Engadget.com

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/24/v...tisfy-prs-505/
actually those videos are by doodlydood, which he posted here first. He mentioned he will be returning it because of the glare and contrast. but lilly here mentioned the glare wasn't so bad. I guess it will depend on each individual. unfortunately I don't have the chance to see b4 I decide.
I'm hoping more reviews and videos will show up in a day or two.
btw, tomorrow is the big announcement from sony on the readers...
Old 08-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
Nzambi
Nzambi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700BC (stolen); Sony PRS-600
Having only owned a PRS-700, I think the readability was fine. The 600 is supposedly by all accounts clearer, so I don't see any issue with choosing it over an aged 505.
Nzambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #14
Nzambi
Nzambi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700BC (stolen); Sony PRS-600
Er, just to make it clear, I'm not speaking from experience, as I've obviously not yet received my 600. And with my poor poor oh-so-beloved 700 stolen, I won't be able to make any side-by-side comparisons. :-(
Nzambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:59 PM   #15
lev
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzambi View Post
Er, just to make it clear, I'm not speaking from experience, as I've obviously not yet received my 600. And with my poor poor oh-so-beloved 700 stolen, I won't be able to make any side-by-side comparisons. :-(
from experience, how was the glare on the 700? on what conditions were glare distracting?

Tags
ereader, prs 600, sony