Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
What? No 'smell of books'?

Strange but true, an article in The Guardian which does not conclude that ebooks will never replace the smell and touch of paper. Quite the opposite...

Are real books nearing the end of their shelf life?
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post
Strange but true, an article in The Guardian which does not conclude that ebooks will never replace the smell and touch of paper. Quite the opposite...

Replace? No. Co-exist? Definitely.

We can have both, if we choose.

There is still something infinitely comforting about a wall full of paper books.

And something infinitely comforting about a Kindle full of e-books when you are 'out and about'.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
There is still something infinitely comforting about a wall full of paper books.
I suppose. I have many such walls that are bursting at the seams, and no room for more unless I add on to the house. That really doesn't comfort me. (A major reason why I have moved to ebooks for my purchases where available and appropriate).

I can understand why some folks treasure books as objects, but that's just not me. I'm interested in the content -- for some content, paper is still the best medium; for other content (e.g., fiction) it's not. I'll take digital, all things being equal.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
I have a wall of books, but I'm glad that I don't have to lug them around during holidays. And it was a pain to sort them the way they are now...
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I suppose. I have many such walls that are bursting at the seams, and no room for more unless I add on to the house. That really doesn't comfort me. (A major reason why I have moved to ebooks for my purchases where available and appropriate).

I can understand why some folks treasure books as objects, but that's just not me. I'm interested in the content -- for some content, paper is still the best medium; for other content (e.g., fiction) it's not. I'll take digital, all things being equal.
See? CO-EXIST!
Advert
Old 02-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Replace? No. Co-exist? Definitely.

We can have both, if we choose.
And for the moment, any way, some books still work best as physical paper books.

For fiction and some non-fiction I'd prefer electronic over paper. For "coffee table" books, books showing techniques in colour (photography books, for example), and books designed to be used in an environment hazardous to electronics (at least some cookery books, most of my metal working books, some gardening books, and so on).

Minor rant time...

What I would really like to see is flexible e-ink devices replace the traditional newspaper. I can understand that people have difficulties reading the old broadsheet sized papers on a crowded train. But most papers, in he UK at least, are now tabloid or berlinner in size - and still some people end up elbowing the people all around as they turn pages, and/or use them as rests for their papers. turn pages, and/or use them as rests for their papers.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I'll never understand the mentality of books as a fetish object. For me, the content is important. I don't think I've ever shoved my nose in a book and inhaled deeply. When I've noticed a book smell, it was because it became moldy after a visit to the beach.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I love my eBooks and have been converting my library to digital ever since I got my Cybook. However, I still purchase several paper Children's books a year as my 5 yr old son loves books with pictures and the more colours the better. So, in my house paper and digital both exist happily.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by flumbo View Post
I'll never understand the mentality of books as a fetish object. For me, the content is important. I don't think I've ever shoved my nose in a book and inhaled deeply. When I've noticed a book smell, it was because it became moldy after a visit to the beach.
Thats unfortunate for you. Content IS important. So is the feel of a book, the looks of a book, and even the smell of a book. Not better, just important.

Of course, I used to smell the mimeograph papers as a kid. Anyone else remember those? The purple print?
Old 02-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #10
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flumbo View Post
Try this.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
I love my eBooks and have been converting my library to digital ever since I got my Cybook. However, I still purchase several paper Children's books a year as my 5 yr old son loves books with pictures and the more colours the better. So, in my house paper and digital both exist happily.

I am so glad to hear this. I have a 5 year old granddaughter with shelves full of colorful books.

At this age, they need the stimulation of the pictures, and to be able to correlate what they are reading with what they see.

Once mine gets into novels, you bed she'll have an e-book reader, tho!
Old 02-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #12
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Once mine gets into novels, you bed she'll have an e-book reader, tho!
I have a deal with him, once he is into novels, he gets MY eBook reader, and I get the latest new thing.
He already likes to sit in my lap and listen to me read the Narnia books. Thankfully the new eBook versions have enough illustrations to keep him interested.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post

Wow .... this guy is really out of touch if he thinks that ebook readers have only been out for the last year or so. I've had my REB for 10 years now.

And ..... I'm sorry, but "Reading for pleasure and the eReader do not seem to go well together. " He's got to be joking.

Last edited by RickyMaveety; 02-08-2009 at 05:20 PM.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #14
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
Justy, how are you converting your library? Regular scanner and OCR? The reason I ask is that I have some older Phyllis A. Whitney titles that are not available anywhere in ebook that I'd like to convert, but don't even know where to start. And I noticed in your sig line what you're reading... are those good? I've been eyeing them...
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:36 PM   #15
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I bought a pbook today and it was so foreign to me. I keep forgetting how pages aren't flat
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote