Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #571
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
Hi, this is a long shot book i'm looking for a Sci fi book i read back in the 80's. the main thing i can remember is that they had space suits/ crafts which were like coffins but from which all appendages could open up reminding me of a stick insect. the suits were like mini battleships.
sorry for the lack of info but you never know. cheers alan
Could it be Step to the Stars by Lester Del Ray?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #572
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
I was trying to find a short story (sci fi) that I read a long long time ago. I am guessing based on the kinds of things I was reading at that time that it was Anne McCaffrey or possibly Ray Bradbury although it could have been a random author from an anthology possibly. The story had something to do with a war with the population on Mars (?) and a soldier who was hopelessly jinxed. In the end they decided to send him to live on Mars as the assignment that would give them the biggest benefit in the war effort. It wasn't the best story but I often recall it when my niece breaks yet another piece of electronic equipment seemingly by touching it. I did flip through the Illustrated Man and To Ride Pegasus which were still lurking about what is left of my paper library but didn't see it. It might have been there but it didn't jump out at me if it was.
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #573
LucyLu
Bookaholic
LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, PocketBook Touch
Could it be "Shannach – The Last: Farewell to Mars" written by Leigh Brackett with introduction by Anne McCaffrey or "Lorelei of the Red Mist: Planetary Romances" written by Leigh Brackett with introduction by Harry Turtledove and Ray Bradbury? Both are collections of short shories (17 the first and 12 the second)
LucyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #574
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
@LucyLu - it is possible although neither are ringing a bell with me. It really could be almost any sci fi anthology since I have no recollection of reading any one in particular other than the ones I mentioned and Anne McCaffreys alchemy one as well. I am hoping someone else remembers the story so as to give me a better lead. If I start dredging up sci fi stories that relate to mars I would still be looking through them until I was dead And I might even be wrong about the mars reference - it could have been another planet, it was a very long time ago.
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #575
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Help identifying strange, old Sci-fi story

I read it in an anthology in school (this was in the UK during the late 70's / early 80's). The anthology included a story about the last living human being being preserved in an alien zoo (which I found quite shocking at the time.) I think it was by John Wyndham or Arthur C. Clarke. I have seen it since. Anyway...

The story I am looking for went like this (in fact it didn't have much of a plot): A man at night sees a long procession of people representing the people's of all eras moving past him in a long procession. Towards the end the people become more and more oppressed by technology until there are three or four broken-down people slaving to carry an immense pyramidal shape (a machine they worship, I suppose). Then, at the very end, they are replaced by strange dancing humans with limbs that bend in odd ways. And that was it!

Not much of a plot, I know, but it has always stayed with me and I would very much like to read it again. I wonder if it might be someone like H.G.Wells or Olaf Stapledon, it has that kind of old, visionary quality, but I could be wrong, it could be way more modern than that.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #576
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The story might have come from one of a series of anthologies called Out of This World edited by Amabel Williams-Ellis & Mably Owen that were common in schools.

There's about 10 of them. Here's the links with the story lists:
http://www.philsp.com/homeville/ISFAC/t93.htm#A2091
http://www.philsp.com/homeville/isfac/t94.htm

They also compiled one called Worlds Apart, which is also listed in the second link, and references an excerpt from Last and First Men (Stapledon). I wonder if the story I'm looking for is from that work...

I wish I could think of the title and author of the other story in the anthology about the last man being kept in a zoo and being considered the most dangerous animal. I think it was in the same anthology. I have since seen the story, and it is by a well-known author, but I cannot for the life of me think what it is.

There was also possibly an excerpt from Wyndham's Kraken Wakes in the anthology. It's the scene where the monsters first mount the beach and skin people. It was pretty shocking stuff for that age. Odd choice for kids.

On reflection, the Wyndham excerpt, and maybe the story itself was in an anthology called Creatures or Monsters, or something like that, and the theme was 'monsters.'

Last edited by Rizla; 09-28-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #577
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I am looking for the name and/or author of an older (at least 20 years ago, and maybe more) science fiction book or short story. The main thing that I recall about it was in the future war had become very expensive because the missiles used required highly expensive guidance and control computers. That and humans had largely lost the ability to do math until one person figured out that the humans could replace the computers aboard missiles. The powers that be immediately put this idea in place, as human lives were cheap compared to computers.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #578
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I am looking for the name and/or author of an older (at least 20 years ago, and maybe more) science fiction book or short story. The main thing that I recall about it was in the future war had become very expensive because the missiles used required highly expensive guidance and control computers. That and humans had largely lost the ability to do math until one person figured out that the humans could replace the computers aboard missiles. The powers that be immediately put this idea in place, as human lives were cheap compared to computers.
The Feeling of Power, by Isaac Asimov.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #579
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Thank you! That was a good lunch time read. It feels a little dated, but given how some math classes are now requiring calculators and not doing multiplication tables in elementary schools, it isn't too implausible.

For something I have been trying to find: I remember reading a short story while in school (late 80's) that was similar to "The Most Dangerous Game" by Richard Connell - humans hunting humans. It was part of an illustrated anthology - I remember lots of pictures of conceptual space ships - and the version I remember was an oversized book, not a mass market paperback size. In this variation , the hunters generally had very high tech armaments and did their hunting on a preserve or separated planet. The protagonist had decided he didn't like the use of the high tech tools and decided to go completely low tech - only to find himself dead in the end by a laser.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hunting) and TV Tropes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...tDangerousGame) don't have the right one.

Does anybody recognize this?

Last edited by Dazrin; 10-03-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: added question
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #580
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
On the button! I love MR. You made my day, so some karma coming to your day.

Incidentally what brought me to trying to recall that was this article. http://www.economist.com/node/215637...Frocketsgalore

It turns out that $28,000 is about 100 times the median family income in Afghanistan, and $5,000 over the poverty level of a family of four in the US.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #581
Syncman
Syncman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Looking for name, author of adventure type book that takes place in USA logging mountain area. Guy burned in car wreck, with no memory returns to town he was traveling from a few years later. Trying to find his true identity. Takes on rich developer/bad guy.Read this about 25 years ago.
Syncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:38 AM   #582
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncman View Post
Looking for name, author of adventure type book that takes place in USA logging mountain area. Guy burned in car wreck, with no memory returns to town he was traveling from a few years later. Trying to find his true identity. Takes on rich developer/bad guy.Read this about 25 years ago.
I've just reread that: Landslide by Desmond Bagley
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #583
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
What a great thread!

I'm looking for an Australian book from the early to mid-1980s. (Bought it as a paperback around that time, and I am pretty sure it was among the new releases then). It's a coming-of-age story involving a teenage boy and quite dramatic bushfires. Can't remember anything else, unfortunately, but I recall my own teenage self being really fascinated at the time.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #584
Syncman
Syncman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Many thanks Davidfor. Landslide. Exactly what I was looking for.
Syncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:56 AM   #585
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
I am looking for a Fantasy book which I thought was by Patricia A. McKillip as a third in her Cygnet duology world, but I can't find the book whose description fits my memory.

The book begins among the roots of enormous trees with roots growing down the sides of a vast canyon. The main female character is a 'Bridger' who harvests fruits and maintains the root system and repairs the bridges and buildings of the treehouse cities with some good descriptions about her day to day job and life. Some event causes her and companions to travel all the way down to the bottom of the canyon where no light reaches and they meet some odd creatures and battle a mage. They also leave the canyon and (I think) along the way they meet up with a shapeshifting firebird sorceress from the Cygnet books and free her to return to the part of the world where that series takes place.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths