Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Zeph3r
Zeph3r plays well with othersZeph3r plays well with othersZeph3r plays well with othersZeph3r plays well with othersZeph3r plays well with othersZeph3r plays well with othersZeph3r plays well with othersZeph3r plays well with othersZeph3r plays well with othersZeph3r plays well with othersZeph3r plays well with others

Device: Kindle Touch
Exclamation Constant crashes Kindle Touch

I bought a Kindle Touch about a year ago. It crashes frequently and randomly, sometimes it will crash when I am scrolling through the list of books, sometimes even when I am reading a page and not touching the Kindle at all. These crashes happen with both the 5.0.4 and 5.1.4 firmwares. Just a few moments ago I turned on the Kindle to read something, and it crashed. After a hard reset it now displays the Repair Needed screen. I know how to reflash it and/or wipe the settings.

Ok, here is the question: How can I stop these crashes?

I have jailbroken, but that makes no difference in the crash rate.

Kindle OS is Linux under the hood, so could I load something else? Or would that be too much trouble? Screen drivers? ect.?

All my books are in .txt format except for the kindle users manual and one amazon store book.

IT CAN"T EVEN READ A PLAIN TEXT FILE WITHOUT CRASHING IN THE MIDDLE OF IT!!!

I would appreciate any thoughts or help on what to do.

Thank You,

-Zeph3r
Zeph3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Sounds like you have a corrupt file on your Kindle. I'd do a factory reset, and re-load the files slowly to see what is crashing the system.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2013, 01:22 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Agreed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:46 AM   #4
Zeph3r
Zeph3r plays well with othersZeph3r plays well with othersZeph3r plays well with othersZeph3r plays well with othersZeph3r plays well with othersZeph3r plays well with othersZeph3r plays well with othersZeph3r plays well with othersZeph3r plays well with othersZeph3r plays well with othersZeph3r plays well with others

I am not sure what you mean by a corrupt file. Could you please clarify?
Old 01-18-2013, 01:52 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You have a file on your Kindle which is damaged.
It has nonsense data in it which the Kindle can't handle.
Advert
Old 01-18-2013, 02:36 AM   #6
Zeph3r

I know what file corruption is. But what file is the Kindle trying to read? And why would it be trying to read it? Does the Kindle try to read/index all files?
Old 01-18-2013, 03:10 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, the Kindle indexes all its files. To see if it's got stuck indexing, do a search for a nonsense string (eg "aaaaaa") and see if the result says "X files not yet indexed". If it does, tap on that line (it's a hyperlink) and it'll take you to a screen showing which files aren't indexed. One of these file will be the culprit.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:11 AM   #8
Zeph3r

Cool, I'll try that.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:26 AM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
With all the crashing a factory reset is the best option before it bricks and then I would up the firmware to the latest just fix any bugs with the older firmware.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #10
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
The Touch seems to sometimes just go mad and do all kinds of interesting things, including crashes or even self-bricking. It's rare, but it happens, and nobody really knows why.

Anyway, I would propose something even more radical than Blossom. A factory reset does not necessarily erase everything that could be causing problems. Since you know how to flash images, you're essentially on the safe side, because it's almost impossible to permanently brick the Touch. So, what I would do:

- flash diags w/SSH, if you haven't done so
- from diags, flash a pristine 5.1.2 main partition and kernel, delete everything on the user partition (/mnt/us) except for the tts folder, and blast partition 3 ("dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=1024 count=1024", or so)
- reboot to main. You now have a completely factory-fresh Touch.
- at your discretion, install jailbreak and/or update to 5.3.2
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
Zeph3r

I flashed the kindle with a jailbroken 5.1.2 then upgraded to 5.3.2

I like the new features of 5.3.2 but, the crashes are still occurring.

There are no corrupt files.

Any ideas anyone?
Old 01-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sounds like it may be faulty. I'd suggest contacting Kindle Customer Service.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
Zeph3r

Sadly, I am not in a position to easily do that.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You don't need to speak to them - just email from the Amazon site. You presumably have an Amazon account? Kindle CS are extremely helpful.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #15
phoeagon
Enthusiast
phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Could you try the debrick method in the Developer forum? If not, contact the Amazon CS staff.
phoeagon is offline   Reply With Quote