Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
jcase
Edge User

[HOWTO] Enable USD Debugging, and gain root with Debug password

Here is the first fruits of our research.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/08...-instructions/

To use adb you will need the android sdk http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Old 08-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
Synked
Edge User

Simply amazing.

Thanks for all of the hard work you and your team have been putting in. =)

Hopefully, this will open up a lot of opportunities for developers!

Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
skapsal
Edge User

Thanks jcase!

Confirmed, password works and I was able to get a shell on the eDGe with adb.

only difference is the path for the "enable Debug" setting.
It's Settings --> eDGe Settings --> Default Device Preferences --> Turn Debug On or Off

Old 08-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
jcase
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skapsal View Post
Thanks jcase!

It's Settings --> eDGe Settings --> Default Device Preferences --> Turn Debug On or Off
Fixed, thanks. Thats different from most android devices, didn't catch it.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
fgruber
Edge User

I tried the password and it certainly works, however, I'm having problems with the adb since I have never used it before. I have the android sdk installed.

After turning the debug on I connected the edge to the USB and typed adb devices but it didn't listed the edge. Also tried mounting the edge and that didn't work either.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by skapsal View Post
Thanks jcase!

Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 03:26 AM   #6
mrspaceman
Edge User

wow, I can't believe how much people have learn't about the eDGe already. I've only had my eDGe a coupld of weeks and already I know there is hardware in the eDGe that is not enabled. I have rooted and enabled adb (which is making app development a lot easier). and there is custom firmware on the way.

none of this down to me, I've just read the forums!

you guys are amazing.

thank you, thank you, thank you,
andy.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:42 AM   #7
OncTech
Edge User

Are there disadvantages and/or risks to rooting the eDGe this way? And is this reversible?

Old 08-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
mrspaceman
Edge User

Okay, I'll take a few guesses here:

Is it reversable : Yes, just uncheck the Debug option in settings.

disadvantages : compared to other rooting methods? I don't think so. this is the easiest and (probably) safest way to root.

risks: don't know, but I have been running as root for a few days and everything seems fine.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
MichaelV
Edge User

the risk is not in rooting, but current firmware has at least 10 vulnerabilities that endanger users private data and Entourage must correct those with utmost urgency!

Old 08-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #10
dontpanic
Edge User

MichaelV:

Please turn in a support ticket outlining these vulnerabilities. We can look into them. Right now, we believe the platform and our customers' data is safe.

DP

Old 08-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
MichaelV
Edge User

you got 3 publicly in the vulnerabilities forum, that definitely are endangering the customer data. Justin is saving the rest of them after you done the patch.... or in a public review/article about the unit and its vulnerabilities.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:24 PM   #12
nprnncbl
Edge User

As a an owner and user of the Edge, I would be upset if someone disclosed vulnerabilities in a public review or article before identifying them to the developers. If you're aware of vulnerabilities, what's the point of not sharing them with the developers?

Old 08-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #13
MichaelV
Edge User

Of course JCase was compiling for Arm. He is a very experienced developer. the proof that GPL source is incomplete was already sent to you.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #14
jcase
Edge User

nprnncbl,

When a company calls the a person's requests illegitimate, compares his name to a cartoon character, and is not in GPL compliance. Why should I assist them?

I have no current plans to disclose any vulnerabilities, in private or public.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #15
MichaelV
Edge User

As I said, this is all Entourage mess not Jcase. they should have complied with the GPL requests months ago. Also any offer to co-operate from Robot was denied. And none of them asked for money... Entourage should come with a full code and an immediate patch for listed vulnerabilities. and an apology to people like Robot and Jcase. Coming clean with limit the damage and get the community behind again.