Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #16
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I had somewhat the same encounter as @jkeene describes.

A few years back, we were walking out of the business class lounge in the ATL airport. My now ex-wife was carrying the latest Dean Koontz. A vaguely familiar looking guy looks at her large chest and the paperback she had pressed against it, asked her what she though of it to which she replied "It's a good airplane book, but we both think Koontz writes the same book over and over again."

About 30 seconds later, I realize why the guy looked familiar. Yep, Dean Koontz.
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #17
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
I like to meet authors. Both Cory Doctorow and Slavoj Zizek were pretty much what I'd thought they would be. Both seemed decent fellows, in their own ways. And I'll never forget Zizek walking past me, looking me in the eye, and saying "it's just so crazy" with his trademark lisp.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #18
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
From what I have heard there is no such thing [anymore] as Mr. King sitting behind the table in a book shop with a long queue of people bringing books to have them signed.
He sells pre-signed books (for significantly more than they cost un-signed). In your case it might be that he won't be selling those but a raffle would select who receives signed book.
If you think about it, when a relatively unknown author comes to a store to do a book signing, relatively few people would show up. If Stephen King announced that he would be signing books somewhere, the queue would be miles and miles long.

I might be wrong ...
I *hope* I am wrong ...
I totally agree with you, there would be a mob if he had a book signing in a book store or somewhere! But my impression about this is they are having the raffle so the numer of people who are allowed in the signing area would be limited to only those with a ticket. He doesn't have a book that's just been released so don't know about it just being a signed book. This whole thing has a little too much "unknown" facts to me. I'm going to try calling the University next week, see if I can talk to someone who can tell me more.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #19
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrera View Post
Dear PG4003 (Patricia) I am new to this, so please forgive my lack of protocol if I am doing this incorrectly. I would be interested in buying a ticket to see Stephen King at George Mason if you decide not to attend. I live in NY and would make the drive to attend. I missed the opportunity to obtain a ticket online this morning. Thank you.
Sincerely,
L. Rera
Contact me as the time gets closer. I'm still not sure if I'm going.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeene View Post
Some years ago my wife had a chance meeting with him in an airport. She's reading one of his books, and a guy walks past, asks if it's a good book. She replies, "It's Stephen King, he's always a good read." The guy thanks her, and keeps going.

About half an hour later she realized who it was.
lol. I can't say I disagree with your wife. Mr. King always seems to come up with the most entertaining stories. I don't think there will ever be another like him either, just as there will never be another Edgar Allen Poe.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #21
PG4003
Addict

I had to come back and update this, guess what, I won one of the Golden Tickets to go to the actual book signing with Stephen King, got my ticket yesterday. Now I'm SO excited!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Golden Ticket.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	75683
Old 08-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #22
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Now you must sing the Golden Ticket song for us...
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #23
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
I had to come back and update this, guess what, I won one of the Golden Tickets to go to the actual book signing with Stephen King, got my ticket yesterday. Now I'm SO excited!!!

Attachment 75683
Congratulations! I hope you have a good time. You should take a picture of him and you and post it here.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #24
JLorenz
Enthusiast
JLorenz rocks like Gibraltar!JLorenz rocks like Gibraltar!JLorenz rocks like Gibraltar!JLorenz rocks like Gibraltar!JLorenz rocks like Gibraltar!JLorenz rocks like Gibraltar!JLorenz rocks like Gibraltar!JLorenz rocks like Gibraltar!JLorenz rocks like Gibraltar!JLorenz rocks like Gibraltar!JLorenz rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Thunderbolt
Congrats! That is sooo cool!
JLorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #25
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post

Attachment 75683
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Could you bring us back some Everlasting Gobstoppers?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #26
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Could you bring us back some Everlasting Gobstoppers?
Forget the gobstoppers--bring back Johnny Depp!
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #27
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
"Oh..... I've got a golden ticket. I've got a a golden twinkle in my eye...." lol. Jack Albertson sang that song well.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #28
jleliekelly
i'm getting there.
jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jleliekelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-600, MOTOROLA PHOTON & Toshiba Thrive
Come visit up here. I can show you the local bookstore he goes to. We have run into him a number of times
jleliekelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:11 AM   #29
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
Yup, we see him around town a bit; come to Bangor, Maine!
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #30
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by snape View Post
Forget the gobstoppers--bring back Johnny Depp!
Screw that, I want a swan that lays chocolate eggs.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote