Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 10-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #1
nikoski
Zealot
nikoski began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hide not needed tags from groups view?

I sync Calibre -->> CC by search for specific (hierarchical) TAGs.

Some of my books in calibre have a lot of (hierarchical) tags like: 1, 2, 3.x.y, 4, 5, ...

When i search for only 2.x.y and sync books with this tag,
the tags 1,2,4,5, ... (and a lot more) also appear in the group "tags" on my device,
and the needed tag 2.x.y in between the others which results in a lot of scrolling.

I'd like to surpress in some way the others so that the view inside the group does not get cluttered by all the unneeded tags. Would that in some way be possible?

Last edited by nikoski; 10-14-2016 at 11:39 AM.
nikoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:32 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoski View Post
I sync Calibre -->> CC by search for specific (hierarchical) TAGs.

Some of my books in calibre have a lot of (hierarchical) tags like: 1, 2, 3.x.y, 4, 5, ...

When i search for only 2.x.y and sync books with this tag,
the tags 1,2,4,5, ... (and a lot more) also appear in the group "tags" on my device,
and the needed tag 2.x.y in between the others which results in a lot of scrolling.

I'd like to surpress in some way the others so that the view inside the group does not get cluttered by all the unneeded tags. Would that in some way be possible?
Apologies, but no, not in CC. It adds all tags in the books to the grouping drawer.

One possible workaround might be to create a "column built from other columns, behaves like tags" in calibre. You would use a template that selects only the tags you are interested in. This column would be visible to CC and can be added to the grouping drawer. This workaround depends on you being able to say in advance which tags are important for CC, which may not be practical.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2016, 07:15 AM   #3
nikoski
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
...One possible workaround might be to create a "column built from other columns, behaves like tags" in calibre. You would use a template that selects only the tags you are interested in. ...
Sure, it sounds good. Only i've no idea how to create a template necessary for that
How would such a template look like for a simple hierarchical tag like the 3.x.y from above?
Old 10-18-2016, 07:39 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thinking more about this and assuming I understand what you want to do, it isn't clear that there is an automatic solution. The "built from other columns" idea won't work

I think what you want is the following:
  • Search for hierarchical tag 2.x.y
  • Send books to CC
  • Some item in the grouping drawer now contains 2.x.y (and only 2.x.y)
  • Search in calibre for 3.a.b
  • Send books to CC
  • The above-mentioned item now contains 2.x.y and 3.a.b.
In other words, there must be memory of what you have sent to CC in the past. Nothing in calibre supports that function automatically.

What you can do is create a custom column "Text, behaves like tags" to hold the genres of interest. This column would not be hierarchical. Lets call this column #cc_genres. Such a column could be used as follows:
  • Search for hierarchical tag 2.x.y
  • Select all the books found
  • Use bulk metadata edit to add 2.x.y to #cc_genres
  • Send books to CC
  • #cc_genres in the grouping drawer now contains 2.x.y (and only 2.x.y)
  • Search in calibre for 3.a.b
  • Select all the books found
  • Use bulk metadata edit to add 3.a.b to #cc_genres. #cc_genres now contains two items.
  • Send books to CC
  • #cc_genres item now contains 2.x.y and 3.a.b.
The number of items in the list will grow over time. Occasionally you would need to remove any items (such as 2.x.y) that you no longer want shown in CC's grouping drawer.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:34 AM   #5
nikoski
Zealot

Thanks a lot once more, chaley

What i need, first of all, is a hierarchical structure within one of the CC groups, what i actually have now in the group "tags" by simply syncing the corresponding books with the hierachical tags.

What i would not like to have is: to see all the other non-hierarchical tags that are assigned to my books as well. Those i'd like only to be visible in calibre but not in CC.

It seems that your last hint (create a custom column "Text, behaves like tags") won't give me a hierarchical structure in the group "cc_genres" like this:
cc_genres
--------->2
------------>a
--------------->b

BTW: What does "...behave like tags" mean in this context?

Another approach could be to create a second hierachical structure for the sync to cc only:

- create a column like "cc_books", set it as a hierarchical one in calibre and cc,
- create a second hierarchy whithin and add to it the books that i want synced to cc
- in cc make only this column visible

The drawback would of course be to have 2 parallel structures.
Advert
Old 10-21-2016, 05:42 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoski View Post
It seems that your last hint (create a custom column "Text, behaves like tags") won't give me a hierarchical structure in the group "cc_genres" like this:
cc_genres
--------->2
------------>a
--------------->b
It can in CC, to the extent that CC supports hierarchy, even if it isn't hierarchical in calibre if you add the group to CC's Hierarchical Groups setting . In addition, if you want you can also set the column to be hierarchical in calibre.
Quote:
BTW: What does "...behave like tags" mean in this context?
It means that the column can contain many values, like tags, instead of one value, like title.
Quote:
Another approach could be to create a second hierachical structure for the sync to cc only:

- create a column like "cc_books", set it as a hierarchical one in calibre and cc,
- create a second hierarchy whithin and add to it the books that i want synced to cc
- in cc make only this column visible

The drawback would of course be to have 2 parallel structures.
This is basically what I suggested. I didn't see the need to turn on hierarchy in calibre, but doing so doesn't hurt anything. I also suggested that you add items to the group when you do searching because you seemed to indicate that you know what you want in the group when you do searches. Of course, you can add items whenever you want.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:12 AM   #7
nikoski
Zealot

Hierarchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It can in CC, to the extent that CC supports hierarchy, ...
Sure, but i'd have to built a hierarchy in the additional column "cc_genres" for the second time, so i'd have to ...

- add to cc_genres a value "2.x.y" first and then
- add this (hierarchical) value to the books that have the same value in their columns "Tags" already
- now, after sync, i'd have a hierarchical group of "2.x.y".

One more option
could be to simply the character !. in front of each hierarchical tag in the column "Tags" and add those ones to the books intended for syncing.

This would not prevent other tags from appearing in cc but would put all the tags intended for syncing on top of the tags group in cc making them visible at once, as the first in the list, on opening the group

I'll be experimenting with those things in the next days. Thanks.

Last edited by nikoski; 10-21-2016 at 07:16 AM.