Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

A few questions about the Sony Reader...

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums, and have reserved a Sony Reader at my local Borders. Apparently, the store will have 7 units come friday.

In my excitement, I've been reading up about the Reader, and gazing at pictures dreamily, eagerly awaiting my little "book" of joy.

A few questions stuck in my mind, though.

1.) Is there any way to turn off the "Page 45 of 71" business at the bottom of the screen? I know the thing I enjoy most about reading is not really knowing when it's going to end. I'd like to know what page I'm currently on, but it would be nice if there was an option to turn off how many pages there are to go. Perhaps you think me pedantic, but this is more like a real book, non?

2.) This 7,500 page turns... Is that straight-through page turns, or does this number include having the unit "sleeping" for however long? iPods are rated for a number of hours, but if you leave the unit asleep for a few weeks, you can turn it on and see your battery life has decreased significantly. Any thoughts?

3.) Can someone give me a Reader right now, because I'm gagging for one! Not sure I can wait till Friday, and that's if my Borders really does get it in!

Thanks in advance, guys/girls.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Hey, WilliamG, welcome to the forum!

To answer your questions:
1) I didn't check, but I don't think so.

2) That's a very good question, the 7500 pages is supposed to be straight through page flips, I believe. And I'm sure that the batt will slowly lose charge even when it's not used, it's a Li-Ion, they do that. But nobody (except Sony, and they ain't sayin') has had one long enough to really answer what you (and we) really want to know: "how long will it last for me?" Ask us again in a couple of months.

3) If any of us had one one, do you really think we'd let go of it? We do feel your pain, though.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG
I know the thing I enjoy most about reading is not really knowing when it's going to end.
Funny you said that. When I get to the last page of a good book I always cover the last few paragraphs with my hand to avoid accidentally giving the end away.
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:25 PM   #4
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
The thing I'm most interested in is the way the Sony Reader handles "idle" mode. As soon as somebody has their reader, I'd be glad if they could do me and us all the favour of just leaving it on, not switchign it off after reading to see how much energy it loses when it's not actively in use (like noting the battery status before you go to bed and then again when you get up in thte morning).

This is one of the major points of complaints I have with the Iliad. I uses just about the same amount of power when it's just lying there as when I'm reading and flipping pages!!!
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:37 PM   #5
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I tried two local Borders (hoping to save $112), they both told me November.

On the Librie you can turn off the progress bar, I'd be amazed if you couldn't on the Sony Reader. I turn it off to get more screen space.

The Librie draws energy when left on, it has an adjustable time out to turn if off after a certain idle period. But its energy draw rate is far lower than what my iLiad does.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
...see how much energy it loses when it's not actively in use (like noting the battery status before you go to bed and then again when you get up in thte morning)....
That'll be mostly pointless, CommanderROR, it shuts itself down after an hour!

I can tell you that the battery meters still read full after we played with them hard for about five hours. Lots of page flipping, file loading, music playing, etc., and no charging. I think that's a good sign, anyway.

@scotty1024: It all depends on whether they enabled the option in the software/OS. At least it does until the hacking community gets going.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:53 PM   #7
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

I have another question for the tech-heads here.

If I wanted to read PDFs on the device, how would that work? I understand that 8.5x11-formatted PDFs will be, for all intents and purposes, unreadable on the Reader. Will there be any software for converting the PDFs to a Reader-readable state?
Old 09-27-2006, 05:08 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

There's been a lively discussion of PDFs in the iLiad forum, most of it would apply to the Sony Reader, except the measurements.

In a nutshell, I don't think anyone has really found a decent solution yet, though.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:15 PM   #9
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG
I have another question for the tech-heads here.

If I wanted to read PDFs on the device, how would that work? I understand that 8.5x11-formatted PDFs will be, for all intents and purposes, unreadable on the Reader. Will there be any software for converting the PDFs to a Reader-readable state?
Actually it depends on the PDF. I wrote a Librie tool that converts PDF's into BBeB "image files" e.g. each page is a 800x600 JPEG of the PDF page. With the right font size in the original they were quite viewable on the Librie. If it was a science journal document in 8pt type: no way. Nikon D70 user manual: works.

I'd also take PDF's rotate them and then crop each page into two pages and place them into a BBeB file. That worked MUCH better for a larger range of PDF's (and is the same concept as Sony's rotate trick.)

The major limitation to this line of exploration was that BBeB files larger than 15MB (about 150 pages) tended to crash the Librie. So I spent most of my time on the re-flow path where 15MB gave you a tremendous number of pages.

Now that Sony has a viewer for PDF, and it can rotate and crop pages, I expect people will be pleasantly surprised (especially if Sony auto-crops the white margins).
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:27 PM   #10
WilliamG
Addict

Thank you for this information, scotty. I look forward to getting my Reader and posting again for help with my PDFs!