Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Two different copies of same book

I must be overlooking this, but I just can't find the answer.
I am in charge of loading up different ebook readers for different people. Mom has a Jetbook Lite, lady up the road has a Sony 600, and I still don't know what the heck I am going to end up with. So basicly I need to convert books into epubs, but they need to be different for each reader. (one reader 5", one 6") Can I do this? Or when I re-convert the book will it just overwrite the epub I have already converted to?
I am very new to all this so please forgive me if I have asked a totally stupid question.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I know nothing about the Jetbook so accept this info FWIW until someone more knowledgeable chips in.

I think the way of customising for each particular e-reader is in the [Convert] - [Page setup] - Output profile section.

You could try setting this up for the 5" reader and convert to epub. Load the same epub onto each e-reader. Check out results.

Reset Output profile to 6" reader and convert to epub. Load the same epub onto each e-reader. Check out results.

If one Output profile looks OK on both e-readers then use that one as your default.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sorry, I don't think I explained myself correctly. I guess what I need to ask is can I have two epubs of each book in the folder made by Calibre, or will the program overwrite the first made epub with the second made epub?
In other words, if I make an epub of a Pride and Prejudice formatted for my mom's Jetbook, then I make an epub of Pride and Prejudice formatted for my friends Sony 600, when I make the second epub will it overwrite the first epub I made? Or should I move the first epub to another folder before making the second?
Sorry for not explaining myself better!
S
Old 02-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
Inspector S
Inspector S began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
I have double copies of some of my books on Calibre and it seems to cope fine. I will warn you that you already have a copy of the book in the library and ask you if you want to continue. Just say yes and all should be fine. It is then just a question of remembering which one you need for which ereader.
Inspector S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Perhaps I didn't explain very clearly either.

If you're happy to load the book into Calibre twice then you can do what you want by converting one for 6" and one for 5". You will, of course, have 2 lines displayed in the Calibre window for every book, which some would consider messy, but if you can live with it that's all that matters.

If you only want to store the book once then each time you create an epub it will overwrite the previous one. So you would have to create 5" epub and download to 5" reader. Then create 6" epub and download to 6" reader (or vice versa).

The original point I was trying to make is that you could try, just as an experiment, creating the 5" epub and downloading to the 6" reader to see if it was readable. If it was acceptable (maybe not perfect) you could save yourself a lot of future effort and keep a tidier library.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
So basicly I need to convert books into epubs, but they need to be different for each reader. (one reader 5", one 6") Can I do this?
The answer to your question is that you just have to create one epub file and it will work fine on both ereaders. When you buy a epub at any of the online stores, they don't ask you what size reader you have, do they? Epub is a reflowable format that will work fine on either version.

Output profile size comes into play when you are dealing with CBZ comic files and other graphic oriented formats.

In case individual image size makes any difference I would just set my Calibre for the 5inch reader and do all my conversions using that as my base. No muss no fuss one size fits all.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:06 AM   #7
silverraven
Guru

Thank you very much for your answers! I didn't realize I could use 5" formatting on a 6" device, or visa versa. I thought each one had to be formatted for it's specific target. Duh! Sometimes the little things throw me!!
S