Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 07:25 AM   #16
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Hmm the A9 throws the princing spanner in the works at 330USD see igorsk thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68788
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:46 AM   #17
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
These are all still products in search of markets. Some, like the Skiff, are primarily aimed at becoming a single-source reader for newspapers and magazines. Others are trying to just be a large-format reader with a sprinkling of convenience features. There's no real way to get a one-to-one comparison except with regards to each individual's needs.

My thinking is that putting the computing capabilities into the device is the wrong way to go. E-mail? SSH client? Web browser? Why do I need those? I'm already carrying a smartphone that does all of that and more. And those just keep getting smarter. For me, the winner is going to be the device that focuses more on fitting in with the other devices I'm already using, instead of trying to replace them.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 08:07 AM   #18
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
For me, the winner is going to be the device that focuses more on fitting in with the other devices I'm already using, instead of trying to replace them.
Exactly, the device I need(ed) is one that doesn't do what my phone (now a smartphone) doesn't do, which is read large PDF's (usually in excess of 20Gb & often much larger) with complex formatting, and take handwritten notes, both to those PDF's and to my own.

My phone has a fair web browser, access to all 3 of my email accounts, my online calendar, and all my contacts, and so on. I don't need a e-book reading device to do any of that.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:16 AM   #19
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
Exactly, the device I need(ed) is one that doesn't do what my phone (now a smartphone) doesn't do, which is read large PDF's (usually in excess of 20Gb & often much larger) with complex formatting, and take handwritten notes, both to those PDF's and to my own.

My phone has a fair web browser, access to all 3 of my email accounts, my online calendar, and all my contacts, and so on. I don't need a e-book reading device to do any of that.
But if you had a device capable of being fast enough to display those files and probably with a wireless chip built in as they are trivial to add and cheap compared to cost v extra functionality it would bring why would you not have a web browser on there for people that did want one. and wouldnt it be sensible if someone emailed you a PDF to be able to open it on the larger device? email functionality would again cost virtually nothing to add so why would you not want it?

How exactly are you planning on getting PDF onto this device?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #20
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
you a PDF to be able to open it on the larger device? email functionality would again cost virtually nothing to add so why would you not want it?
So far, I haven't seen any large e-book reading device that would appear to get better battery life than my DR 1000s, so yes, it would cost in battery time. Yeah, that's me, the only fan of that evil device around these parts.

Quote:
How exactly are you planning on getting PDF onto this device?
My e-book reader? It has an SD card slot. It's pretty easy to use actually, you just put the card in the reader, and it reads just like a new drive, not troubles at all.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #21
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpn Jack Flash View Post
Hmm the A9 throws the princing spanner in the works at 330USD see igorsk thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68788
As soon as it is released, I am in for one.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #22
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
So far, I haven't seen any large e-book reading device that would appear to get better battery life than my DR 1000s, so yes, it would cost in battery time. Yeah, that's me, the only fan of that evil device around these parts.

My e-book reader? It has an SD card slot. It's pretty easy to use actually, you just put the card in the reader, and it reads just like a new drive, not troubles at all.
Email can bet turned on and off and wireless chip the same, with a physical switch so no battery drain except when you turn it on to get the mail or file.

But if someone mails you a pdf you would have to insert card and reader into laptop download file from email, save it to the card, remove card, plug into reader and then be ready to view the file.

seems much harder than opening email on device and selecting save file.

I dont see why you cant have what you want and the device still have the ability to connect and browse or access email? it has No negatives for how you use the device yet would hamstring it for most other users.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Huh? "Evil device"? I think the DR1000S is excellent, personally. Expensive, yes, but you get what you pay for.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #24
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:

That pretty much sums up my needs as well. I would love the ability for the reader to to be able to work with the bookmarks that are already created for the pdf at hand; I don't even expect to read novels on it, I have my Sony reader for that. Any extras such as internet access would be gravy. My price point is around 500.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #25
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Very curious to see where the Skiff ends up pricewise.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #26
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Don't forget the iRex DR800 for $450.
$399, actually.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
$399, actually.
IIRC that was the original announce price, but when there were some actual pre-order pages put up the price had been raised to $450. But, considering the prices of the Edge $490 I think they will have to come back down to $400 to see this thing.

That is, if they ever sell it. Wasn't it supposed to be shipping months ago?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #28
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
IIRC that was the original announce price, but when there were some actual pre-order pages put up the price had been raised to $450. But, considering the prices of the Edge $490 I think they will have to come back down to $400 to see this thing.

That is, if they ever sell it. Wasn't it supposed to be shipping months ago?
The $450 is for a "Special Edition" DR800 that comes boxed with some extra accessories (better stylus, etc). That's what was briefly up as a pre-order.

The regular DR800 is supposedly still going to be $399.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #29
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
The $450 is for a "Special Edition" DR800 that comes boxed with some extra accessories (better stylus, etc). That's what was briefly up as a pre-order.

The regular DR800 is supposedly still going to be $399.
Ah. Well, as of today it is Vaporware.

(yes, I'm sure people will blast me for that.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #30
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I have a hard time even considering readers over $400. Having used a 6" for two years I'm thinking 8" would be perfect and I won't pay over $300 for that. I figure to replace my PRS-505 by the end of this year, depending on what is available.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote